BtB's C25k

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bozza Bostik, May 9, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I like the look of those steps.

So many drills you could do.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What could I do besides run up and walk down?

Any suggestions?

The whole area is on a hill. I was thinking of hill sprints one week, stair runs the next. Better for my knees.

edit: There's at least 4 flights on the stairs you can see on the photo. maybe doing a bodyweight exercise everytime I hit the flat bits would be fun...painful, but fun!

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Oh yes.

This is a killer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMF7VF2-uI"]Squat Hops Up Stairs - YouTube[/ame]

Our own slipthejab posted a video with an even harder version a few years ago. One step at a time, but hop from the left hand side of one step, to the right hand side of the other. So you go forward, but also side to side.

Here though is a complete range of drills. Killer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gar2yFomCC4"]Stair Video #2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Bozza Bostik

Awesome stuff! I'll try some of those movements.

Thanks!

5. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 05/06/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 1

I skipped a whole bunch of runs last week as I was sick yet again (convinced I have a food allergy) and then got caught up doing a whole bunch of gardening at the summer cottage. So I am starting week 2 again. Baaah!

Walked around for a bit, stretched out my legs and ankle a little and did some pull ups. Then on to the programme.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Duration: 31 mins
    Distance: A little over 4 km. I turned off my runkeeper early.

Music: Smogtown - Fuhrers of the New Wave. Awesome retro beach punk with a Repo Man fixation.

I got my agility ladder the other day and am hoping to finally get a go on it tomorrow night. Gonna steal Lonely Dog's ideas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lu6ER6QBj0"]Lonely's Den - Agility Ladder[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Are you counting the warm up walk and cool downs in the distance covered Boris?
    I'm only counting the time/distance in between those and I'm nowhere near covering 4km (I don't think anyway).
    If you aren't you must be running at a hell of a lick!

7. Bozza Bostik

Yeps - I'm counting from start to finish of the whole session, including the warm up/cool down walks. I am not counting my own little extra warm up and cool down that I do.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thank god for that. Your distances were making me feel inadequate. :)

9. Bozza Bostik

God knows what that GPS is doing though! I once went over the Baltic sea according to the Runkeeper app! :cool:

10. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 05/06/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 2

I decided to slow down my runs a little bit as I upset PASmith and he seems like a nice bloke. I also realised I might be running a little bit too fast and I should think about building up slowly.

I had to get the car back, so it was quick walk around, loosen up, then start the programme. I like messing around on the pull up bar, doing pull ups, knee raises and those hanging knee to elbow thingumies. Didn't get chance today.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Distance: 3.69 km

Music: Vanilla Muffins - Sugar Oi Will Win!!!

11. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 09/06/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 3

I couldn't get to the forest to run, so I ran in the streets. I really don't like it. Boring scenery, no animals or birds and it hurts my knees a little more than usual. It always makes me laugh to see people stop at crossings when the red light is on and start jogging on the spot or doing star jumps. I saw one young girl dancing!! Why don't they just keep on running down the street until they find a crossing with a green. Is the route so important?

I'm not sure why I haven't ran since Wednesday. Wonder what I have been doing?

I'll be glad to move on to week 3. I think when this is done, I'll run for a few weeks then add the C210k programme. Mind you, it'll probably be winter by then. I need to buy some new type of fancy winter running shoes that I have seen advertised on TV.

Distance: 3.49 km

Music: Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted (Word!)

Hopefully I won't get any injuries as I'd like to do an extreme run next year. There's 3 in the country that I know of but the one that is nearest to me has been already. I refuse to dress up as a pirate or anything like that though.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 12/06/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 3

Seems I did session 3 again! I'm bouncing around with these apps trying to decide which I like bestest and wasn't sure which session I had done. I should have checked this log first. Not a bad thing though, I guess.

I took the dog for a fast 30 minute so I could get a bit of an extra warm up and then did some capoeira in the house. Started with some active stretching, bit of mobility and then did the ginga for a couple of minutes and added some cocorinha. After that I messed around with armada, queixada, meia lua de compasso, meia lua de frente. Nothing really structured yet, just messing around.

Then on to C25K. Road again which I really, really don't like. Can't wait to get back to the forest.

Distance: ?

Music: Smut Peddlers - A whole bunch of different albums!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  13. Bozza Bostik

Thursday 13/06/2013

Skillz and Drillz

Agility Ladder

I finally got around to using my agility ladder. I think the boxes are a little small, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I need to check the dimensions. It's a lot harder then I imagined and really messes up your coordination. I was quite suprised at how slow I needed to go to stay coordinated.

I messed around with the triangle, stepping in an out of the boxes one way then the other i.e. /\/\/\/\/\/ and back. I just did a high figure 8 for strikes, striking on every footstep. I also did Lonely Dog's drill from the video I posted previously; stepping in and striking angle 1, then jumping out to defend and roof blocking.

I also did a few other things but can't really remember what they were exactly :)

After a few minutes I did some carenza or abanikos (I love 'em) then back to the ladder.

I'm going to try and work out a bit of a programme when I get some more ideas.

Duration: 35 mins approx.

Music: Smut Peddlers - Tarball 2000! Not a MAP friendly album at all.

14. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 15/06/2013

C25k Week 3 Session 1

I've finally moved on to week 3! I was messing around the Cool Runnings / C25k page the other day and found a Pooch to 5k, I showed it to my girlfriend and she has decided to do that...with the dog obviously. It's nice to run at the same time, even though we are doing slightly different programmes and routes. I need to read PASmith's article again about running with dogs.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then do two repetitions of the following: Jog for 90 seconds; Walk for 90 seconds; Jog for 3 minutes; Walk for 3 minutes.

Duration: 28 mins
    Distance: 3.32 km

Music: Heavy Links - Heavyweight.

Quite good UK hip-hop I got for free from bandcamp. Not the best thing I have ever heard but not bad at all! I never seem to have the chance to listen to music these days, so I try and listen to a different LP everytime I run. I find listening to new albums makes the run easier (not that the programme is hard)..I focus on the music and just turn off to everything else.

Rambling about music...The run was quite easy. I am having no problems with my "bad" ankle at all. Both are stiff though and I need to be a little more consistent with the mobility exercises.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  15. Bozza Bostik

Monday 17/06/2013

C25k Week 3 Session 2

I took a different route today, there's a lot of short steep inclines and declines and the path is quite rough, lots of bit chunks of "gravel". The last half is very flat and quite fast. But it's a nice route.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then do two repetitions of the following: Jog for 90 seconds; Walk for 90 seconds; Jog for 3 minutes; Walk for 3 minutes.

Distance: 3.68 km

Music: VA - NYHC: Where the Wild Things Are.

Great NY hardcore punk album, been listening to it since it came out in '89.

Back to FMA tomorrow, my instructor has been away for a couple of weeks, looking forward to getting my knuckles smacked about!

Really have to get practicing in the house. I am so lazy right now.

16. Bozza Bostik

Wednesday 19/06/2013

C25k Week 3 Session 3

Distance: 3.50 km approx. I messed around with the dog and a stick for the cool down. Much more fun. than doing a walk.

Music: SNFU - Better Than a Stick in the Eye.

Week 3 is done! Looking forward to week 4. I think after week 4 I will start to crank up the pace a little. Vrooooom!!!

17. Bozza Bostik

Friday 21/06/2013

Drillz and Skillz.

1 min on right side then switch to left of (except sinawali of course):

• Basic footwork w/ agility ladder
    • Abaniko drill
    • Roof block to umbrella block
    • witik w/ back step
    • Abaniko
    • Figure 8
    • Dis 'n' dat
    • 5 strikes w/ agility ladder
    • 5 strikes as an X - 1, 4, 3, 2, 5
    • Sinawali (hard and hitty)
    • Sinawali (soft and flowy)
    • Sinawali w/ fulcrum
    • Sinawali w/ abaniko

I've been thinking about playing some kinda of drum. It would be cool for FMA and capoeira. I spent a bit of time looking at atabaques, congas (as a substitute for the atabaque) and djembes. I found a djembe class near me, which came as a bit of surprise, I thought I'd go with that. I wrote to the teacher but heard nothing back. So I ordered a conga practice head I found online. Got it yesterday - hurray for noise! Boo for my midlife crisis!

I've been messing on that today. I got some atabaque apps and practiced a simple angola beat and then hit it fast and lots. I might post my progression and call it Bum on a Drum! :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  18. Bozza Bostik

Saturday 22/06/2013

C25k Week 4 Session 1

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes; Walk 2.5 minutes; Jog 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes.

Distance: 4.28 km (approx)

Music: Gillian Welch - Hell Among the Yearlings.

Thought i'd listen to one of my folk/new-grass favourites for a change.

I was hoping to do some capoeira when I got back but the weather is grim.

It's hard writing on a foreign language pitää....iPad!!! Öäå??? Autocorrect is annoying at the best of times!!

19. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 22/06/2013

Drillz and Skillz.

Capoeira

2 mins with 30 seconds break. All techniques done from ginga, working left them right:

• Ginga
    • Cocorinha
    • Negativa to role
    • Au
    • Handstand
    • Queixada
    • Armada
    • Meia lua de frente
    • Meia lua de compasso
    • Bencao
    • Ginga

I really need to work on my footwork for armada (spinning crescent kick?)....horrible kick!

20. Bozza Bostik

Tuesday 25/06/2013

C25k Week 4 Session 2

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then jog for 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes; Walk 2.5 minutes; Jog 3 minutes; Walk 90 seconds; Jog 5 minutes.

Distance: 4.61 (in 31:59)

Music: Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies

Good album to listen to as the C25k thing is 31 mins and the CD version of the album w/ extra tracks in about 32 mins.

It's quite hot here, 30 degrees...hot for us anyway, so I decided to run later than normal. I haven't eaten since about 4:15 (protein bar after Eskrima), starting running about 8:15, add the heat and I felt a bit crappy when I was out. Quite suprised that I covered nearly 5 km in 32 mins. I ran in the city and on very flat ground so I guess that helps.

Food! There's a cake that went wrong in the fridge, I think I'll have it for dinner.