bruce lee's view on karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Jun 27, 2003.

1. stump

stump Supersub

<<<NO the iron bar would not do more damage. The ball tied on to a rope which do more internal damage and cause more serious injuries.>>>

Eh sure, whatever you say. Personally I'll take the iron bar to a fight over the swingball anyday

I think you're deluding yourself

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Stump, it's a misquote from a TV interview with Bruce Lee.

In the interview, he explains that a Karate punch is like an iron bar, but a Kung Fu punch is like an Iron Ball at the end of an Iron Chain.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Were we still talking punching??? Personally I thought Mani had took me up on a light hearted comment at the end of my previous post and was talking literally.

If i misinterpreted my apologies

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I can see why, because Mani just said 'ball on a rope'.

The word 'Iron' was what was missing.

5. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You could quite happily block the ball on a string with opposing force without any risk to yourself by going for its weaker point, the string. The iron bar carries force across its whole area, a force against force block further up the bar would cause you less damage than the end of the bar, but its still going to hurt. Also, are we talking about the bar being swung, jabbed, what? And for the ball how long is the string compared to the length of the bar?

What, you mean by making it more effective for actual street applications such as, uh, streetfighting?

7. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

What, you mean by making it more effective for actual street applications such as, uh, streetfighting?

I never mentioned streetfighting.....
    i just suggested more effective.....

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

And i think the iron ball thingy is saying that the iron bar because its full lenght is rigid has its energy spread all along it where as the iron ball has all the energy in it alone transferred from the chain as in what would hurt more swung with same force karli stick or nunchuck......

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

But it doesn't the bar has the highest force carried at its end, same as a lever, while the ball in principle will act in exactly the same way but will be unable to follow through as easily since the bar is rigid, and can drive through into the target, the ball will expend all of its energy in the impact, and stop.

Swung with exactly the same force the longer of the two would hurt more, assuming that they weigh the same. Nuchucks allow you to store up energy by making small movements though, the constant acceleration that they undergo through travelling in an angular trajectory is greater than that which the kali stick can experience swung in a straight line. Take the same difference between a cricket bowler who winds up, and one who just lobs the ball.

10. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

XD AHAHAHAHA
    ahhhhhhh lying down on the job,that ones gonna keep me amused for the rest of the day

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Aw gawd, another thread resurrection, this time from September 2003 :eek: :(

12. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Karate moves are very linear and strait, rather than flowing. Its like one thing at a time rather than flowing multipul things together

13. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

I practice GoJu Ryu. I have also practised other styles of karate. What makes GoJu different is that is has a heritage of White Crane Kung Fu and Chinese Kempo. The movements for beginners, yes, are linear. Once your at a more advance level the fluidity increases greatly. GoJu Ryu has had more Chinese influence than any other style of karate.

14. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

what?

what about Euchi Ryu/pagai noon having a chinese influence? At more advanced levels ****o ryu does more soft techniques(shuri te, naha te, and tomari te). Do you understand the roots of goju ryu and other styles of karate before you make claims like this? My sensei made us at one time or another research other karate styles and would educate us on some of them.

Here's something about Bruce Lee that my Dad's old neighbor once told me which I believe. My dad's neighbor used to work at the old Ivar's resteraunt in Seattle(ivar's is a seafood resteraunt) and would give Lee free soup/clam chowder when Lee first lived in Seattle. So of course Lee and this guy became pretty good friends; Lee would talk about this Karateka that lived in Seattle that he was intimidated by. My dad's neighbor told me that the karateka was also scared of lee but they were friends. I wish I knew this karateka's name but my dad's neighbor doesn't remember. You guys can believe this if you want to or not because I have no way of proving it but I believe the guy. I have a strong suspicion that the guy was a ****o ryu practitioner only because when Lee was here in the Seattle area at the time the best Karate was ****o ryu(in terms of fighting and kata). What I'm saying is here in Seattle we have a lot of good ****o ryu practitioners and in the 70s the WKA(washington karate association)was the best karate in the seattle area. Something I forgot to add..the karateka I'm talking about was white according to my dad's neighbor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  15. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I suspect the karate practioner was most probably bigger/stronger/more sangerous than lee or tht guy is talking rubbish. Lee was very formidible, i think only a very big strong or extremely formible Martail artist could match him

16. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

wow

Kinda funny that you some of you people that idolize Bruce Lee can't fathom a Karateka being able to beat him up. Bruce Lee didn't compete, I will never argue how fast and powerful he was for his size. Thing is he never competed whereas many other karateka, thaiboxers, boxers, wrestlers, judoka, jiujitsuka, etc. have EXPERIENCE competing. Experience in actual competition gives an edge. Do you guys know that Dan Inosanto started out in Chito Ryu and Kenpo before he hooked up with Bruce Lee? I'm sure Yoda knows about what I just mentioned since he has a knowledge of karate. There are many debates in the jkd family about some of the philosophy Bruce Lee left because it can be interpeted many ways and he died before he could ever fully explain what some of it meant(if he was even going to). Besides Erik Paulson what other JKD practitioner has made a name in competition? Besides Ludwig, Dekker, Kaman, Hoost, Samart, and Fujiwara what other muay thai practitioner has made a name for themselves in muay thai? MANY..too many too list. I can do the same for boxing, karate, jiu jitsu, mma/nhb..the fact is I can really only think of one JKD fighter that really made a name for themselves and that's Erik Paulson. Look, if you guys enjoy JKD fine, that's great..but don't bash karate in terms of fighting when many karateka around the world compete at the international/world level.

17. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

what about that JKD guy paul vunak??? i've seen his name all over hte MA mags but can anyone tell me if he is actually a credible MAist and what his acheivements are..if any??? :confused:

18. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Please allow me to to express my view on the subject even though I am not expert on the subject.

I think Bruce Lee did mean that every art that is limited to that art's training system and technique is not realistic. I think he wanted to create a new style of martial arts that would go beyond technique.

Those are the things most of us do not believe to be wrong. I would say that he was after common sense.

19. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

John Lober (JKD) was a pretty good MMA competitor. I think that he gave Frank Shamrock his first loss, but FS avenged his defeat years later.

Back to your point, I agree with you. As much as we may all have our likes & dislikes, preferences, opinions, etc., we still should not bash any art. We should just try to co-exist and accept the differences. Bruce was entitled to his opinion, as is everyone of us.

(Do I hear Rodney King out there somewhere?!? hehehe)

Peace

20. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Vunak was combat instructor to the U.S. Navy SEALs. He was a long-time student of Dan Inosanto, so his knowledge in various forms of combat (e.g. striking, grappling, blades, etc.) is extensive. (I'm not pro- or anti- JKD...I think there's good & not-so-good in all arts.)

Now, let's ask ourselves...how credible are any of US as MAists? Do we judge ourselves by how many trophies we've won in tourneys? Do we judge ourselves by how many real fights we've fought and won? Do we judge ourselves by our belt ranking? Do we judge ourselves on how flashy our uniforms look? Etc.

Whatever happened to learning any form of MA for personal self-growth (in various ways for various purposes)?

Sorry for getting off-track.

Peace.