Bruce lee's ranking

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hakass, Mar 16, 2005.

1. archrival_keysi

archrival_keysi Valued Member

it is true but alot of instructors still feel that the use of an incentive to keep people interested is needed or that there is not a huge gap between two training partners when they are sparring. with the keysi system (JKD based) there is a grading system but this is to seperate certain classes from biginners to advanced as we go up to black belt but there is another option of the instructors like first year apprentice instructor etc once you have got to this stage it is all about self development and training to advance further through the club. I agree that gradings mean nothing on the street but in training it helps add a structure, elthough certain people will advance quicker than others with there skill they may not advance with the mental side and philosophical side which i think is as important due to the history if u understand that u can comprehend the concept and it development better. whats other people thoughts on this?

regards to everybody

Live life to full train hard and train safe

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Gradings are a good thing to hepl an instructor see what level an individual is at and yes it adds structure.

But, and it is a very big but.

Once you have a structure, you have a set pattern of items that need to be performed within the structure of the grading test, this in it's self contradicts what JKD is all about.

Surely if the instructor is teaching the students, they should know what level they are at.

Grading and JKD are a contradiction in terms I am affraid, purely becuase of what BL said about structures or stylelised systems. With structure/gradings you become a style

regards

Pat

3. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I don't grade. I evaluate. My students don't know they've been promoted until I tell them. I don't have testing fee's so they get their certs when the reach Black Belt, together in a packet. I give them their belt when we where gi's but in general we don't where them except while grappling which we do both gi and no-gi.

I've found that most of my students just want to train so if they earn their instructorship it's a bonus. If I get big, things may change but hopefully not to much.

4. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i agree with what u say. the thing is u need a structure to dissove
    i.e. a base system.jun fan(orginal jkd material) being the base system to jkd

5. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

cheers simplicity

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I feel......If the Teacher and Student truly have a bond together they would know what level the student is at......and anything would not have to be said......I have students that have trained with me over seven years.......I feel if the teacher is truly pointing the way......then some will become experts in what they have experience over time........but us teacher should not give out rank of instructor........ .unless they have the ability to teach......just because someone is talented.......doesn't mean they can point the way......this is the realilty of it........we need to prepare those students that are talented and have the ability to teach......not one of my students every have asked me about rank......but I have promoted people.......its all good......though.

Take It Easy,
    John :)

7. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Only my Isayaryu-Do Karate kids classes do they have belts and gi's........as far as my Purple Dragon Studio Kickboxing we wear street clothes or sweats, we have levels in it........in Jeet Kune Do we wear street clothes or sweats, as far as rank, (yourself)-you are the rank.....that way you can't hide....if you know what I mean.

John

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I totally agree, It just anoys me when others claim one thing and then proceed to do another. EG, say grades are not important or any use then go on to give out grades.

If you feel that grading is the best way to teach your students then I am a supporter of it as I am if you feel grading is the wrong way to go for you. I personally grade my own students, and it works very well for me as I am sure it works for many other instructors.

But the pot should not call the kettle black if you know what I mean.

Regards

Pat

9. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I think it may also have something to do with the way an art is presented. I have small groups, it's easy for me "see" my students grow but as a school gets bigger and you start have assisstants teaching, then grading does have it's place.

10. Dooby

Dooby New Member

No, young grass hopper you are wrong.

In death he became immortal. :Angel:

11. Dooby

Dooby New Member

I agree with what you say in respect that it surely should be down to the instructor and his/her students own preference. If it helps, then why not?? However, saying all that my instructor does grade which is fine with me, as its not something I train for. I train because I enjoy what do and becuase unfortunately is this day and age it really does help and if anyone asks me what belt do I have? I reply 'a black one with a big metal buckle on the end'. :D

12. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I agree. NOBODY was ever certified to teach Jun Fan Gung Fu / Jeet Kune Do. And Bruce Lee did not create 3 martial arts.

I know of 1 of Bruces students who claims he was certified by Bruce to teach all 3 of Bruces martial arts. :D

13. hakass

hakass Valued Member

Nah, i hate belts. I'v been studying martial arts for about...8-10 years now. And i have no belt :eek: . I personally feel im only missing out on two things:

1) I am unable to say that i have a belt. Alot of people love to pose the question "what belt are you on" when they find out i do martial arts. and saying "i hav no belt" doesnt sound good. (Tho i kick their ass afterwards and let them judge for themselves!! mwahahaha! :woo: )

2) Also, I am unable to teach (legally) if I wanted to become a martial arts instructor or something. Apparently I need proof that I'm qualified to do that, and a blackbelt is required.

Alas, besides those two things, im pretty happy with my brown leather belt (that has nothing to do with MA at all). The thing is, say i was to start grading, I'd have to start from the bottom right? And its like....£20 per belt at our club. So I'll just remain at my rankless level

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

LMAO, you killing me :)