Bruce Lee vs top MT fighters

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Al_Bundy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Is this full contact, no holds barred COBOL programming or is it points, light contact COBOL programming?

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

On that clip Bruce Lee demonsrates good athletic and technical abbillity,its my guess that he would of hit most if not all modern day top MMA fighters with that kick,after all look at some of the kicks they get hit with now! a average(very) low round kick in most cases,that lunging side kick if hitting the target square would break ribs at the minimum,i also belive it would catch a lot of top level Thai Fighters because of its quickness,most modern day thai fights are done at a slow pace especially in the first couple of rounds so the boxers are vunerable to sudden attacks,thats exactly what that kick is about,suddeness,explosiveness and power,add deception to the mix and "you got it baby!".:)

3. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

second valuable post in this thread

4. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

... I've always wondered why the hell you don't see boxers using a side kick like that?

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Utter rubbish. Its FAR harder to avoid a low roundhouse kick than a sidekick. That kick looks pretty powerful but even if it landed it wouldn't neccesserily break ribs, ribs are hard to break! He's fairly quick with it but not that quick, I doubt he'd catch that many decent fighters.

If that was some random dudes video you'd be pulling it to pieces saying what was wrong with it, how to counter it etc. Because its Bruce Lee its special, fantasy might be a fun place to live but realitys ultimately more satisfying.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

hi bro.You know i respect you especially in your knowledge in MT. But i have to disagree on a couple of things.
    That side kick although great and technical with power, Bruse is kicking with a run up.he wouldnt really kick that way in a fight.it would be too much of a telegraph.so to hit a good fighter with it would be difficult, as they would move out the way before contact.
    Fc im sure you know that the first rounds in thai are more a build up and to check weaknesses before rounds 3,4,5 etc and when the thai or any good mt fighter comes up against another fighter who goes full out from round 1 they too usually go full out too so would still be pretty well prepared.This has often occured with the thais fighting the dutch as the dutch generally go full out from start unlike the thais that generally start of slower to find tactical/technical weaknesses of eachother.
    also breaking the ribs.yes probably possible especially as the sternum area. But to a well condition fighter especially the thais who seem to take knees to the area from an early age, and knees which are generally a more powerful strike, im sure they would be able to take the side kick.

7. february

february Valued Member

Here he is sparring in '67. Make your own mind up, but he seemed pretty quick to me.

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVGZEFQusM"]YouTube - Bruce Lee - Sparring (Jeet Kune Do show)[/ame]

8. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Thank you for posting. Alot of people do not understand the high level of skill involved in Intercepting. Watch the video at 1.28. He mayy have just been punching (in which case forget what i say) however it looks to me he read the opponents intention to kick and punched him before he landed that kick hence why he jumped out the way afterwards. To intercept an attack - to read your opponent, to respond to his attack and to hit him before he hits you, now that mann is not easy to do.

In my eyes mastering the ability to intercept is a very high skill indeed, something Bruce Lee did. I rank it above blocking, parrying (redirecting) or even evading an attack, i mean you have hit your opponent before his attack reached its destination, you don't just get out the way you hit them.

Now this is coming from a kung fu guy who loves MMA and has never trained in Jeet Kune Do. What UFC guy can intercept an attack? (this one i actually want to know there has to be one, i would appreciate if somebody lets me know thanks).

To stay on topic intercepting can be useful against thai fighters, they are fast and powerful but i find telegraph their techniques a little bit more than other arts.

9. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I can honestly say, as good as the MMA's top fighters are, I find the majority of the fights a bit boring! I know i don't fight as well, but when im in the fight, well its hard to be bored.

I would love to see someone come along who was sprighty like bruce and fight in it, just to see the contrast in style, because as F>G says, intercepting is kinda cool. Alot of MMA/thai fights degenerate into wars of attrition between guys who fight in similar ways, who are at the end of the day just as good as each other. They know how each other fights, and are just waiting for the other to make a mistake to capitalise on.

In my oppinion, the top tier are all at the same skill level, and victorys are made on not making mistakes, as opposed to massivley outwitting an opponent.

It makes for a boring fight, which is why id love to see this imaginary fight regardless of who wins.

I know the thread is MT, but i would love to see the MMA competions to return to Inter matial art competions , as opposed to it being a Martial art in its own right. They all fight the frickin same. Sure they have there prefrence, ground or standing, but is so samey.

The excitment comes from two different guys having at it.

10. Balkri

Balkri Valued Member

Why don't we take a leaf out of my book and realise that this is a waste of time, time that we could be using for more productive things say for instance...training... Or in fact perhaps we should open a new forum category so people can debate stupid questions like this and keep the rest of the place neat and tidy.

I'm Thinking "Bruce Lee topics and other Pointless drivvel" - Anyone With Me ?

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The "sameness" came, naturally, out of the fact that people needed to adopt a broader approach in order to succeed. "Kung fu versus karate" wasn't working anymore. Anyone who wasn't content with their little corner of expertise needed to crosstrain. And so the question of style became less and less identifiable and salient.

Stuart

12. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

I wouldn't say its the same. Fedor competes without a single BJJ lesson yet dominates. Anderson Silva is weak at wrestling yet still battered Henderson. GSP vs BJ Penn will be two totally different fighters imo. Lyoto Machida is a whole new concept. I could go on forever. The MMA fighters do not belong to one style of martial art but they are different from their opponents. There are quite a few fighters with a different style to one another.

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Snoop,

Sorry bro i stick with my original post.

Also i think your wrong that its harder to stop a low round kick than a lunging side kick,i know which one id rather have hit me to.

As for ribs being hard to break,i cant agree,Nak Muay break them all the time from shin and knee attacks so a running side kick if connecting squarely is well capable of rib breaking.:)

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi bro,

Thank you for your first comment in your post,i to respect your knowledge of the Muay Thai game we love so much.

I take all your points on board and think they are all relevant,however i base my opinion on several things,not least is the fact that running type kicks were very much a part of old school Muay Thai and when used would catch very good fighters of that era,fighters that were used to these lines of attacks,the modern day boxer isnt used to that type of attack and i belive IF used with the right timing would catch the modern day fighter of guard.

That type of kick has potential for real damage,think it through bro and look it it from a physics point of view,the while body weight is thrown behind the kick and into the heel as a striking point,i would not like it square,try a experiment some time,condition your leg to a low kick(if you dont already!) until you can take a real good one,then try the same with that type of lunging side kick! it may channge your opinion a bit bro.

Obviously the kick couldnt be overplayed,same as other "tricks" it can be a ace in the hole so to speak,and the kick would have to be smoothly,quickly,with good preperation and recovery,but good fighters can or should have these attributes shouldnt they.

You know bro i love the modern day Muay Thai game but it is not the only way Muay Thai was always played,it used to be fought to a much higher tempo(i know you know this) and the action started from round 1.

As a final point check out some Savate fights,they have this kick and though i dont think they play it much nowadays it used to be a very effective part of their arsenal.

All the best for 09 bro:)

15. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

Hey, i've trained twice today, and as for discussing this pointless drivel, it's just a hypothetical question which is bound to keep me more amused than the rubbish that's on telly.

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yeah I totally agree. Anyone who thinks that MMA fighters, like the ones you mention, all fight in the same way doesn't know what the hell they're watching.

17. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I know they've got there +strengths and weaknesses-but its subtle I just don't find it entertaining to view for some reason, I cannot get into it, just like football!

18. Balkri

Balkri Valued Member

Only twice Genkuro ? You are a sorry excuse for a martial artist, if you have time to watch tv or sit on here debating stuff like this then you have time to train...

...Nah i'm just kidding, i'm just sick of these retarded questions, theres hundreds of them every year and they bug the crap out of me, i just bothered to answer on this one because it's in the Thai boxing section, which for the most part is usually okay-ish. I dunno, i guess if i don't like it i shouldn't read it but still...thought i'd leave my £0.02...

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Well the original poster(Al Bundy) did say he was bored when he started this thread!:)

20. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I've noticed threads on MAP escalate massively on realitivley moot points! I made one about "so who can use tai chi in a fight" and i belive they are still arguing over proper training methods in that thread now xD

Madness !