Bruce Lee vs top MT fighters

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Al_Bundy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I was going to comment - but then decided to slap myself upside the head - it was WAY less painful :)

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Actually, yes there is. CKava is right. I was too generous. And you should have mentioned that it was a collegiate championship in refuting my earlier statement. Leaving that bit out was a bit sneaky.

The point is that nobody fighting in a collegiate championship is a professional fighter. They're hobbyists. Devoted hobbyists, to be sure. But presumably the bulk of their time is spent on coursework, research, etc. Not training for fights.

Big difference between that and the live-in training camps of muay thai.

Stuart

3. Im_Mortal_1

Im_Mortal_1 New Member

In a real fight, i'd say it was 50/50, its whoever kicks the balls first...

4. Morra

Morra Valued Member

I "should" have mentioned it? You're not allowed to google from your computer or something? I'm not sneaky, you're just lazy.

Well, that's a silly "point" if we can stretch the meaning of that word. Olympic boxers aren't pros, and many of them are great fighters who eventually do become pros. What about college foot ball? They're not pros so they can't play? They're too busy studying? That's rubbish.

Who was comparing a boxing championship to training? That makes no sense either, they're seperate things - by your logic, if you compete in a collegate boxing match that must mean you couldn't have been training hard since you were a kid?

Anyway, you first said it was a High School boxing match, then you stood up and admitted your mistake, now suddenly you're taking it back because I "misled you" because you didn't look up St. Francis Xavier of Hong Kong on your own.

How can you even be "generous" with someone when you can't get your facts straight and you cry because of your own ignorance about what schools BL attended?

5. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Anyone who thinks Bruce Lee was one of the greatest fighters of all time is impressionable at best, weak-minded at worst (this statement isn't directed at anyone in particular, but just at the general notion). Jeet Kune Do has some great philosophies behind it, and I'm not knocking it by any means, but Bruce Lee wasn't that great of a fighter... as many of the people who knew him recognize. In fact, the public figures who hype him up are always people who will gain financially from his fame... most notably, his wife. Lee revolutionized the way kung fu movies are made, but he really didn't do much for martial arts. I'm quite sure the top Muay Thai fighters would "wipe the floor" with him, as they say.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, I was being tongue-in-cheek. But whatever. You're right. I shouldn't have taken your research at face value. I should have checked your source and seen the information in context. Turns out context was king.

It's not a question of them being good. It's a question of them being BETTER than someone who trains and fights for a living. So while I'm sure the quarterback for Maryland is pretty good, he probably doesn't hold a candle to an NFL starter. (Unless we're talking about proper football. And judging by your use of the word "rubbish," we probably are. But I haven't lived in England for a very long time, so you'll have to supply some appropriate equivalent yourself.)

Okay... How about professional full-contact fights from pre-teen onward? That's the typical route for a professional nak muay. And the accompanying training, of course.

As I said, I was being tongue-in-cheek. Next time, I'll remember to put a 24-point smilie.

Crying about my ignorance. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

7. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

bruce lee vs a top nak muay in full thai rules.

anyone who thinks that bruce would win is delussional. i mean no offence, but to think that someone who has trained in a game from early age (nak muay) then fights someone who would be relatively fair,skill wise, but vv fit in the same game has to be delussional.

im sure bruce would win in a grappling match or a mma match against a nak muay who main skill is in thai boxing, but he would not stand a chance in a thai fight.

you are comparing 2 different skills. the thai fighter is skilled in thai boxing. bruce was skilled in general martial arts.
    the thais generally dominate western thai boxers let alone someone who doesnt study thai boxing full time, eats,sleeps drinks thaiboxing.

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If this is true why is it a lighter more technically skilled fighter can be beaten by a heavier - by your definition - less efficient fighter?

Bob Sapp, does he look like he finds it hard to throw a bad haymaker? Yes he gets beaten but hey, he can be effective.

And by this definition also a hook punch is inferior to a jab.

9. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

Is this the guy that could take down top level pro thai fighters & hold his own in the UFC?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf12iowNH38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf12iowNH38[/ame]

10. Dehitay

Dehitay Valued Member

The same reason a lazy ass adult can beat up a 10 year old Muay Thai fighter who's been trained since he learned how to stand. Effeciency is more important when the physical abilities of the opponents are closer. Ironically, effectiveness is being mentioned here too. That's mainly the difference. When the difference in effectiveness is too high, efficiency can be overlooked.

11. dionmj

dionmj Valued Member

People who idolize Bruce Lee as being the best fighter of all time are delusional. I'm a fan of his and I like some of his Philosophies but to think that he was the fastest, toughest, hardest hitting human being of all time is ridiculous. Out of all of the martial arts masters and students in China, Korea, Japan, Africa, America and etc. you really think no one had superior or equal skills out of the hundreds of millions of people who have practiced? Think about it now, you shouldn't have to but think about it. He never even mastered one martial art? He looked like a normal, good young martial artist who trains hard at what he knows, nothing out of the ordinary not even for martial artist in America. If you are a realist you know that you cant stigmatized any martial art or artist as being the best, its all about the individual, how hard you train, and who you are up against. Even for top level fighters on any given day you can get knocked out when facing top level competition. Bruce is no exception, everyone is human. I'm sure his system has a lot of good in it but to think that a man who never mastered or got to advanced levels in one art has a superior system is foolish. Please don't put limits on yourself or any martial art or artist as it is only going to hurt you in the long run. It's like saying to the guy who practiced tkd how come you punched him in the throat, kicked him in the knee, kneed him in the face and then elbowed him in the back during the fight, I thought tkd guys are only supposed to do tornado kicks? No martial art is better although some cover more material in detail and we all have someone we can't beat especial when size and weight come into play so stop drinking the Bruce Lee kool-aid.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

You should spend less time thinking and more time training.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

14. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Best post so far.

I'd kick Bruce's ass in a TKD patterns comp because I know the patterns.

A MT professional would kick Bruce's ass in an MT bout for the same reason.

How many people get jobs as COBOL programmers who don't know COBOL?

There are many who could adapt similar skillsets given time and training, but they don't get the job or "win" without it.

Mitch

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So, if Bruce Lee and a Nak Muay both got an interview for a COBOL programming job, who'd get the post?

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The Nak Muay fighter due to his degree in computor programming. Get out of that Fan Boi's:bang:

18. OldNick

OldNick Valued Member

Bruce Lee trully was a champ of some sorts: he was the Hong Kong Cha-cha champion (i.e. he held a national title). Sadly, cha cha happens to be a dance, which does not speak much of BL's fighting abilities.
    It is also noteworthy that he was heavily involved with steroids (cult of the body beautiful?), perhaps sculpting his physique to try to make up for an undescended testicle at birth.

These are facts of BL's life...
    As for his being able to mix it up with top class muay thai fighters? Well, why didn't he?
    I mean, even in his own lifetime, BL's credibility was often questionned... Had he possessed the ability, I am sure he would have opted to silence the critics by entering a few tournaments (after all, BL's ego wasn't exactly small!).
    Yet he didn't... wonder why?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  19. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Well, this would get into a discussion of education levels and specialization between Jie Quan Dao and Muay Thai practitioners (and that's rather troublesome in itself, not to mention the matter that the two groups have significant overlap). Mr. Lee, if I remember correctly, studied philosophy, so it really depends on whether or not the muay'er has even less qualification regarding COBOL.

There is also no word on where the hypothetical Jie Quan Dao practitioner and the hypothetical Muay Thai practitioner are from, and how their labor is priced; this is often quite an important hiring consideration in this age of tech outsourcing.

However, as COBOL is considered a legacy language, I believe that a Jie Quan Dao practitioner may consider it as being part of "the classical mess".

This brings up other questions: Would a Thai-style darb or a Jie Quan Dao-specific long blade (I'm assuming it'd be a variant of Filipino and/or Indonesian style of long-knife?) be better for hacking a computer?

20. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Whichever can use C++.