Bruce Lee v. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by RisingSun, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Exactly. Bruce's physical capabilities have no weight with me. I hear Bruce nut riders all the time claiming that Bruce could do this and bruce could do that, when really, I see him as just an average fighter really, and don't believe he was anything spectacular in that regard. I do however have great respect for the JKD that he brought to the world, and because I know that it works, that is where I find admiration for him.

Em

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ok

That being said, I'm going to go with Floyd in a boxing match, in an MMA match, and on "the streets."

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Me too personally.

Altough of course, we will never know.

Em

4. Nonprophet

Nonprophet New Member

My two cents

Ok, I'm new but I do have some knowledge... I feel the score on this is 1-1-1. In a boxing match obviously there is almost no way that BL wins. In an MMA match I believe it's a toss up with either fighter being equally able to score a win based on their abilities in different areas. In the actual streetfight scenario I think BL wins 99% of the time. Now let me give some thoughts.

First, it's not logical to think BL could ever beat FM in a boxing match barring a fluke. That's like asking a figure skater to compete in hockey.
    Second, in MMA FM would have the advantage with his hands but BL would have kicks (His thai skills were strong from what I have read) knees, elbows, takedowns, some grappling as well as submissions so I think, unproven or not he would maybe have an advantage here.
    Last there is the streetfight, here I think BL carries an obvious advantage in the fact that the fight is less in the physical participation as in the setup of the fight. A guy like Bruce would not be bumping chests and talking trash. If the fight were imminent he would ACT at a point that was advantageous to him and that would surprise his opponent. Couple this with the fact that (by every account ever given of him) that BL was the fastest most accurate striker imagineable and you have a great advantage. Also to consider is the idea that he would have targeted soft points in the body such as the eyes, throat, groin, knees, etc and he only has to land a single strike to effectively cripple the offense of FM. Since FM is not trained for this situation, again it asks a hockey player to win a figure skating title. Apples and oranges my friends.....

I also agree with BTJred that a lot of what Bruce was doing has been lost. Another consideration is that you discuss this as if the Bruce of THEN would fight the Floyd of NOW...well Bruce was better than everybody OF HIS TIME. Fighting has progressed past where he was. I don't think BL's JKD would look anything today like it did 30 years ago. Matter of fact, I KNOW it doesn't based on my observations of the people who are still progressing in his ways.

5. Nonprophet

Nonprophet New Member

Empress.... I think that is a bit presumptuous. ALL of the fighting folks of Bruce's time who had any interaction with him respected his fighting greatly. Those who were on set with him and witnessed some of his street fights ( Dan Inosanto has a LOT of good stories if you can get him to tell them) and those who sparred with him all agree that he was highly skilled and WAY beyond average. One of the quotes I read most often is " the man moved faster than anything I have ever seen" or something similar. I guess it seems strange to me that you would just disregard the opinions of the people who were there...Names like Ali, Inosanto, Norris, and pretty much everyone who ever was on film with him.

6. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

You hear stories all the time about boxers hurting themselves in a street fight cause bare knuckle vs skull = The lose..

7. Yohan

Qualify that - where do you hear stories from? What do you mean by "all the time?"

Because I just did a search on google news for boxer "broken hand" and didn't find one story relating to a boxer with a broken hand.

8. Nonprophet

Nonprophet New Member

Mike Tyson versus... I want to say Trevor Berbick in the street out in front of some night club. Tyson Broke his hand and ended up with assault charges. I think he also broke whoever it was's face....

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Yes but you should see the other guy.

regards koyo

10. Yohan

Have you been reading the thread? Floyd Mayweather is the best puncher in the world. You did get that, right?

That's all conjecture. Why would you think that FM wouldn't and couldn't do the same.

No, you're wrong. It's not apples and oranges. It's more like comparing valencia oranges to mandarin oranges. It's like comparing ITF to WTF.

11. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

If you think bruce was an average fighter then you'r just a hater and not being objective at all bruce was know for hit spectuacular speed awesome strenght (considering his weight and size) and very progressive MA you have to take into account that in that time mixed martiat art training was pretty out of the ordinary not that many people did it. Its not that strange really if you see what his training schedule was like that man was a machine he trained harder the most of the proffesionall athlete's of today. I respect everyone's opinion but saying bruce lee was an "average" fighter to me is just being a hater everyone who was objective would not have said that.

12. Yohan

Why? There's no evidence that points toward Bruce being a spectacular fighter. Just second hand reports.

Subjective. No evidence to support your claim.

Totally true.

Yeah? Let's see his training schedule. You got any evidence?

My friend, I don't think you understand what objective means. It is you, who isn't being objective because you are making a bunch of subjective claims that you can't back up with evidence.

13. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Its very difficult to prove anything, only a few people knew BL closely.

keep in mind that "proof" only goes as far as the first hand account. You have to see something for yourself, the moment you tell someone else it becomes just a story.

14. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Ok, since Tyson was mentioned, here are a few.

Aug. 23, 1988 — Tyson breaks a bone in his right hand in a 4 a.m. street brawl with boxer Mitch Green in Harlem.

2003 - Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson was arrested on assault charges early Saturday following a street brawl with two guests outside a Brooklyn hotel, police said.

The boxer was treated for minor cuts to his hands after the other men apparently swung at him with a metal pole taken from the lobby of the hotel where Tyson also was staying, police said.

Now, though I may have embellished with "all the time", but it does happen. There is a boxing gym within walking distance of where I live and when I go in there to train I get to speak with some of the boxing trainers who I often ping info off of and a few of them mention how easy it is for boxers to injure their hands when they get into fights on the street.

They get used to the protection of their hands being wrapped and gloved.

15. Yohan

My friend here has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

16. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I love it when people use Mike Tyson as an example! Mike Tyson is a heavy weight boxer, you do realise how hard these guys can hit?

Ricky Hatton was shown to hit around 400 kgs of force, Ricky Hatton was probably weighing around 10/10.5 stone when these results were recorded. Mike Tyson weighs in at around 16.5 stone possibly heavier. There are reasons for weight classes! Tyson, in thoery should be absolutely destroying that score! The bones in the hand aint made for that sort of impact. Its the same reason why Thai boxers use there shin instead of their foot ;)

Now, punching to the skull. Agreed it can do plenty of damage to your hand but shall i pull up a ice hockey battle were punching to head/helmet/ice just results in a sin bin and no medical attention??

Yes punching to the skull could smash your hand to pieces but i really doubt FM will be aiming for the skull when theres a perfectly good jaw to destroy :)

17. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Physical feats

Lee's phenomenal fitness meant he was capable of performing many exceptional physical feats.[45][46][47][48] The following list includes some of the physical feats that are documented and supported by reliable sources.

* Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.[49]
    * Lee could spring a 235 lb (107 kg) opponent 15 feet (4.6 metres) away with a 1 inch punch.[48]
    * Lee's combat movements were at times too fast to be captured on film at 24fps, so many scenes were shot in 32fps to put Lee in slow motion. Normally martial arts films are sped up.[50][51][52]
    * In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.[53]
    * Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs[41][48]
    * Lee would hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.[47]
    * Lee could throw grains of rice up into the air and then catch them in mid-flight using chopsticks.[41]
    * Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger[48][54][41][48]
    * Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.[55]
    * From a standing position, Lee could hold a 125 lb (57 kg) barbell straight out.[47][41]
    * Lee could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.[56]
    * Lee performed a side kick while training with James Coburn and broke a 150-lb (68 kg) punching bag[47][57]
    * Lee could cause a 300-lb (136 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a side kick.[48]
    * In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.[58]
    * Lee could thrust his fingers through unopened steel cans of Coca-Cola, at a time before cans were made of the softer aluminum metal.[59]
    * Lee could use one finger to leave dramatic indentations on pine wood.[59]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Physical_fitness_and_nutrition

satisfied yohan ?

18. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

And any of that proves his fighting ability??

Most of them feats ive seen other people do and thats your justification that he would beat one of the best boxers ever?

Also i call BS on the rice and chop stick!

19. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

it proves that he wasnt an average guy and he has proven his fighting ability to me by beating alot of people and not have been beaten himself + all the eye witness accounts discribe him as inhumanly fast

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He never fought anyone of note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.