Bruce lee movie- birth of the dragon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Smaug97, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

What do you guys think of this trailer- i'm on the fence about it but i'm reserving judgement until i've seen it [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNib_NsVRU"]BIRTH OF THE DRAGON Trailer (2016) Bruce Lee Movie - YouTube[/ame]

2. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

It's a film about Bruce Lee but Bruce Lee isn't the main character?

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That looks like a terrific Redbox movie. :happy:

4. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

I hope not, I'm not sure if that guy is just going to be the lense we view the fight/ Bruce Lee through or if it is going to focus on him and the other master

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Looks like complete dog crap

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Based on the trailer I won't see it.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There's been a lot of complaints for this movie being a complete "Hollywood-whitewash" incident. BL being a secondary, 1 dimensional character in his own movie. Also, the movie focusing on a fictional white male lead to tell the story.

Personally, I saw "the action team that brought you the Xmen" and that was the switch off point

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In that case how does it compare to No Retreat No Surrender?

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

10. Hannibal

Pretty spot on article - why the myth grew up when the truth was always more interesting is a mystery....

11. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Why is Wong Jack Man dressed up as a monk? What? That might be the most egregious misuse of the Shaolin yet...now, it's their job to teach a cocky Bruce Lee the ways of kung fu? They battled over and over until Bruce saw the new Way??? Some drunk dude nobody cares about is Bruce's student and narrates the story.

Who is the movie even about again? Shaolin monks, Bruce Lee, kung fu in general? All I know is watching the video made me hungry for dim sum (ah...Chinatown...). :D

whatever man...leave them monks alone :D Retro-con to end all others.

But this quote from the "based on true events" fictional movie is great...do you think the point of this film is to somehow display Lee's transition from Wing Chun to Jeet Kuen Do?

Because they are basically paraphrasing Bruce's 'new' philosophy that came about after the Wong Jack Man 'event'...
    style of no style, et cetera

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Great article. I really enjoyed it. It's a bummer they can't make an accurate movie or TV show on Bruce Lee. You'd think HBO or Showtime could make a highly successful series that focused on the actual non fictional events of his life here in the US. The real events seem more interesting and entertaining than the made up and twisted stuff anyway. I'd think tons of people would be interested in the real Bruce Lee stories especially after the years and years of inconsistent crap we've been fed.

13. The Iron Fist

Not to mention, the movies even get the kung fu wrong.

This guy he's fighting in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" is totally a southern stylist, not northern...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58p0Bm7PyTI"]Dragon The Bruce Lee Story 6 10 Movie CLIP The Decision is Mine 1993 HD YouTube - YouTube[/ame]

14. Hannibal

The style of WJM was the LEAST of the problems that movie had.....

15. The Iron Fist

The injury and traction scene takes the cake of course. Getting hurt exercising too boring?

Let's change it to "kicked in the spine by a Hung gar master killer in a Chinatown dungeon".

16. Hannibal

Or the "brother seeking revenge having read your book" plot device

17. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

There was a bruce lee documentary on yoututbe. Horrible. I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of it. It was just a bunch of famous people saying stuff like, "Bruce Lee was amazing. Bruce Lee was God. Bruce Lee could walk on water. Bruce Lee was the best person ever born, Bruce Lee blah blah blah." I had to turn it off because it seemed more like a bruce Lee worship session than a documentary.

The movie was ok. I could at least watch the whole thing without changing the channel.

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That sums it up!

19. Mushroom

I actually mentioned that in one of the many facebook rants on some of the film forums I'm on. It was largely ignored.
    I can only gather that NRNS was made during a time when people didn't think much in regards to race or BL's "legacy". That and there was no internet for people to rage about.

No one will ever be happy with a BL biopic. Documentaries are just like any other film maker. Just because its in the documentary genre, doesn't mean that the makers wont have an agenda.
    And then, You'll have certain MA groups either complaining they were the real inspiration for JKD or "its not factual enough to BL's life" ( like they were actually there anyway).

20. Mushroom

Rob Cohen addressed this in the film and before it. Still have to remember, films are storytelling yarns.
    So it's entertainment.

Watch Ip Man and weirdly enough there isnt that many people complaining about any of the accuracy of the film.
    (Which was basically Fist of Fury remake).

Its strange how it's kung fu flicks that get the flack for "inaccuracies" or "they doing the fu style wrong".
    Yet no one complains about how unrealistic the boxing in Rocky is.