Bruce Lee being added to upcoming UFC Video Game.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Combat Sports, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Lots of philosophies are borderline perfect. It's in application that they break down.

2. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

its quite alright, im not offended at all, and thank you for your honesty, hannibal has been kind enough to correct me more than once and has even taught me a thing or two which helped to guide my own personal path, no doubt he is my senior in jkd and probably also in wc, i mean sure we have butted heads in the past but im over it, and i think it would be wise to listen to him

3. Fujian Animal

pretty much, yes lol to all of the above

and yes, i have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting some of bruce lee's original students, notably sifu jesse glover, sifu taky kimura, sifu allen joe, sifu daniel lee, sifu dan inosanto, and sifu ted wong..... that makes 6 lol i know i said 4 but i forgot to add a couple

and although i did touch hands and train with all of them, talk to them and hear some amazing stories, the truth is i didnt really know any of them, nor get to spend a lot of time with any of them, and apart from jesse glover and daniel lee, most of my encounters with them were at seminars, in fact all of them i met during different seminars, but i spent a great deal of one-on-one chi sao training with sifu glover, and a lot of time practicing jkd boxing drills with sifu dan lee, even after the seminar was already over

i actually went to 2 seminars with ted wong

i feel honored just to be able to say that much, because as you know, some of these guys are no longer around with us today, but i am by no means a jkd master, and after 15 years of trial and error, i am still learning what it means to be a jkd practitioner

also keeping in mind that martial arts is a career for some people, but for me its just a passionate hobby

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So... in terms of... say, months, how many have you spent training with each of these teachers?

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Have any of them demonstrated their abilty to consistently kill MMA fighters in a fight?

6. Fujian Animal

lol all of them ARE mma fighters..... fighters, not sportsmen, they do things and teach things that are illegal in the ufc, due to the danger and risk of killing an opponent

7. Fujian Animal

dont know, dont care, i dont keep records of those things, i just like to train and learn new ways to become a better jkd practitioner

i also met yip chun, but thats unrelated

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Such as...?

A choke is deadlier than pretty much ANY technique

9. Fujian Animal

simple things, like eye gouges, pulling hair, biting, things that most people tend to frown upon, these guys teach dirty tricks to winning a fight and they encourage the use of such tactics

and elbows to the back of the head, chops to the throat, etc etc etc simple things, very simple yet very practical, things that have the possibility to kill whoever is on the receiving end

i mean, there are a lot of different things that could be taught in a jun fan seminar, im not qualified to explain, plus im too lazy at the moment, im getting a headache from all the yelling at my house, im about to kick everyone out

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's right. One of my kids pulled my hair once, I was in hospital for a week!

11. Fujian Animal

i am right, actually

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So how deadly is an eye gouge or hair pull?

Any stats for it?

That's just looking at the lethality of the injury never mind the actual mechanics of applying the techniques is the first place.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You need records to know whether you trained with them for 1 month or 12?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can't hit someone with a boxing glove on then you can't hit them with your fingers

Same with throat chops and same with down elbows

A jab to the snot box is simpler than all of those

90% of JKD is absolutley transferable to the cage...if taking away the 10% means someone can't operate then they aren't doing JKD and pretty much suck to boot!

If I land a choke - VERY common in MMA/BJJ - then the only reason you get to live is because I let it go; frankly I will take any number of eye jabs over being choked out

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So you're saying that each of them has, on multiple occasions, killed a professional MMA fighter with their bare hands? My, my, my, what a capable group of people.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just finished a JKD class half an hour ago, I could use about 90% of what I just learned in a cage.

Also did some ground and pound drills from the bottom. Interesting concepts that worked very well :)

17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Ever considered, I dunno... getting a haircut?

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I put someone in a sleeper this week and the first thing they said afterwards was, "I can't see*".

Two birds one stone.

*Very, very temporary I should add.

19. Fujian Animal

okay, but can you poke somebody in the eye with boxing gloves on? can you in the sport of boxing? and you can chop someone in the throat with boxing gloves on, but can you choke them to death with that throat chop? 90% of jkd 'training' might be transferable to the cage, but 90% true jkd fighting is not

and if someone gets a jkd practitioner into a choke, he's going to get bitten, fish-hooked, eye raked, elbowed in the gut, punched in the groin, or something else..... not ufc material

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  20. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

He (Hannibal) is making the point to you...That IF you can't tag someone with mitts on...Then you're certainly not gonna with an eye bonk...

Not because you can't due to ruleset...But because you don't possess the skill to tag anybody with a similar mechanism - Let's face it IF you can't land the most basic of punches (the jab) then you'll fail with the deadly - I take it that's clear?

I hope you understand that once you're in a choke you're in a disadVantaged position?

The time to be gouging etc is before the choke is sunk in.

You - to an extent - can resist chokes. But at that point your escapes need to be lessening the pressure effect of said choke...And not trying to fish-hook somebody who has the strongest 'position' ;)

I'd strongly suggest that you take a bit of time to learn a bit of Choke/ Anti-Choke. It'll open your eyes (quite literally when the squeeze is on) :D

Last edited: May 7, 2014