Bruce Lee being added to upcoming UFC Video Game.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Combat Sports, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZeGfOiaPr4&feature=youtu.be"]Be Bruce Lee - EA UFC 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

I am curious how much effort will be put into making the video game version fight anything like what Bruce actually fought like. Because from what I understand it doesn't look anything like what he did in the movies.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

3. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

He certainly wouldn't hold up well in the UFC today...as he was when he passed. Of course, its all devil's advocate, because one of the elements that made him great was his work ethic, and he would have much more access to tools and training that would help him in the ring than what was available in the 70's.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

and he would have jumped headfirst into the bjj bandwagon.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Meh. Lee wasn't that great.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if inosanto is a reflection then its likely.

i think the Lee thing will just be a character skin mod rather than a certain style (he'll probably do Sanda or san shou to avoid programmers having to program JKD or lee's brand of kung fu)

7. Combat Sports

Gene Lebell said that Lee would of done fine in his own weight class. He was already looking at Grappling and didn't emphasize it more because it's full purpose was not really realized. But when it was, he would of jumped on it. JKD had a grappling curriculum long before the UFC including Wrestling, among other things. I own one of the books of that curriculum.

I think it's important to recognize that much of what Bruce did himself was already influenced by most of the martial arts used in MMA. Muay Thai and Boxing as a couple of examples. Once it was clear that even more grappling was needed, there is no question where it would of went next.

8. Combat Sports

Looks like we might have hope after all:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/br...e-time-for-ea-sports-ufc-haters/1100-6418879/

9. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

That was then, This is now..

i have studied and practiced 'jun fan jeet kune do' a trademark fighting art, on and off for the last 15 years, with the privelege of meeting and training with five of sijo bruce lee's original students from seattle, oakland and los angeles, and i really like jkd, it is still one of my favorite martial arts even today and there really is a lot i could say about it

but one thing that comes to mind right now when thinking about bruce lee, and the OP in this topic, is how often i was wrong about a lot of things, i mean here i am 15 years later and i am still learning, still exploring, still finding out what it means to be a jkd practitioner, and although i have a lot of time in training, sparring and fighting experience, still i am far from perfect and every day i find myself having to relearn something from my past, or having to forget something that i learned before in order to make a way and improve as an individual martial artist who is nothing at all like bruce lee

in regards to the OP's comment refering to bruce lee fighting different in real life than he did in movies, one thing i can say for sure is that, personality-wise, bruce lee's charisma on film was very much the same bruce lee his students encountered in life, and one might even note bruce's intentional use of choreographing some of his real-life students into a lot of his fight scenes, of course bruce knew the difference between what really works and what looks good on film, and he would as a choreographer give the audience what they wanted to see, but as a teacher and a martial artist bruce lee also wanted to portray jkd on screen in a way that would reach out and hit home for some of his students, so whether or not that's how lee would've fought somebody like chuck norris or robert wall in real-life we probably will never know, but the important thing to consider and try to keep in mind is that, regardless of anything else, bruce lee could actually put into action everything you see on film, meaning he was very capable of fighting in real-life exactly how you see him fight in the movies

i have no opinion yet on whether or not this will be a good idea trying to add bruce lee to the ufc video game, i mean no doubt lee was a pretty good fighter, but he was not one for following the rules or traditions of other styles, i dont think bruce lee would last very long in the ufc and it's not because i think he would get beaten, i just think he would get disqualified for constantly breaking the rules, lee didn't like restrictions and in real-life his jkd was like a fluid blend of mma training programs which focussed on no rules and no limitations, very ideal for street defense but not really the thing for sport fighters, keeping in mind bruce lee's wing chun background and deep focus on the centerline, so naturally and instinctively he would go straight for the eyes, throat, solarplex and groin without even thinking about it, and he would attack these vital areas with speed and power in a way that could in fact maim or even kill an opponent on the street, but if you were to take away his ability to do that in the cage, bruce lee would just be this very small chinese guy wrestling against titanic ufc giants and honestly, im not saying it isnt possible for a small guy to win against a larger wrestler, but generally speaking, size does matter, and bruce lee was not a wrestler, he was a wing chun master

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

a) UFC has weight classes so he would be fighting someone exactly the same size as he is
    b) Bruce punched and kicked in nearly every single fight he had, and that's off the eyewitnesses
    c) "maim and kill" is abject hyperbole
    d) Bruce sparred a lot and managed to never kill anyone, so I think he could have made the shift to a restricted ruleset quite easily
    e) Bruce was developing an MMA style ruleset for sparring and training prior to his demise so i believe what we see now in MMA is pretty close to where he was headed

Bruce Lee put into MMA "as is" loses; Bruce Lee given time to train wins - the man was a machine and a training fanatic witha keenly analytical brain. His lack fo ground game would be his ultimate undoing at the present scenario

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. Fujian Animal

i was never aware or told by anyone about letter e) above

12. Hannibal

It's something Larry Hartsell knew about and spoke of

13. Fujian Animal

always learning new things, like i said lol

14. Hannibal

Aren't we all my friend? :)

It's in his "Conditioning and grappling Methods" book I think

15. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Regardless of the reality of what would happen to Bruce in UFC, it will make for a fun game!

16. Fujian Animal

oh no doubt, i mean i really hope so because so far of all the bruce lee games ive seen or played, none of them do him any justice, and tekken, street fighter, mortal kombat and quest of the dragon show mimicking versions of bruce lee that to the untrained person or fan seems like jkd, but in reality isnt even remotely close to jkd, and that is what people are basing their information on, information that isnt even real, which is an injustice to jkd practitioners worldwide..... we dont just want bruce lee any more, we want jkd

also, going back earlier to what hannibal said, i still dont think its possible to present true unlimited jkd in the limited ufc enviroment, and maybe this kind of relates to the abstraction apowen mentioned in another thread, but really there is a world of difference between jkd and ufc training, like for example the number of ufc fighters who have to train extra hard for their upcoming matches, i dare say here on a limb that many jkd fighters would have to relax a bit and tone it down in order to fit into the ufc

after all, if lee did in fact create a ruleset, it was only for training purposes, and to a jkd practitioner, the ufc isnt hardcore realistic fighting like many mma guys believe, to the jkd practitioner the ufc is just another form of training, a type of freeform sparring that is not entirely realistic to them, and thats just my opinion

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

For some reason I trust Hannibal's opinion over your's. I don't know whether it's his ranking in JKDor his experience in MMA, but then, life will always have its mysteries n'est pas?

I'm saying n'est pas now.

I miss Pauly Shore.

18. Fujian Animal

well like i said, that was just my opinion, its on hannibal to decide whether or not he agrees or disagrees, but the beauty of jeet kune do is that you dont all have to be on the same page, i recall something in particular that hannibals teacher once said, something about everyone being on their own personal journey up the mountain, we are all on different paths, my path is different from yours and yours is different from mine, but eventually we all reach the same peak, some are just faster than others

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Oh the old "his style is too deadly" argument.............

A good fighter should be able to adapt to rule restrictions. If one has to rely on eye pokes and groin shots to be successful, that doesn't say much about their abilities.

This holds true for anyone and Bruce Lee should be no exception. So I would hope that he was not so limited that a few rules would have held him back in success.

Does anyone doubt that he would have learned BJJ if he had had the chance and add it to his JKD philosophy?

Plus, my understanding is he did not study WC for all that long, so would he really be considered a WC master?

Also, the UFC has weight divisions. So he wouldn't be a small guy going against a titan. He would be going against people his own size. Demetrious Johnson does not fight Junior Dos Santos.

20. Fujian Animal

i dont know about an argument, but lets face the facts, bruce lee was in not one, not two, but several real-life fights, in hong kong, seattle, oakland, thailand, los angeles, new york, and san francisco, sometimes against street thugs, sometimes with weapons, sometimes against blackbelt holders, and the outcome of some of those encounters is still clouded, BUT, i dont recall there ever being any rules or restrictions, and most of the time its said that lee chased his opponents around as they ran away, or he knocked them out with a single punch or kick, often breaking bones or landing them in the hospital, so its not about his style, its about the individual person bruce lee himself

see above

rules are limited, and jkd has no rules, i mean look at the jkd logo, its even on the banner, thats the jkd motto! it goes against everything lee stood for and fought to defend, restricted movements and limitations in combat is something that bruce lee wrote volumes and volumes about, he was definately against the idea of limiting oneself

not to mention, its reverse evolution, bruce lee was successful WITHOUT limitations, so why would he go backwards?

first off, bruce lee was exposed to students of the machado branch of gracie bjj, so its not a matter of opinion, its something bruce lee did take an interest in, and he also studied jujutsu under wally jay, but he was not limited by it

secondly, bruce lee wouldnt have added bjj, or anything else to his jkd philosophy, and why? because the jkd philosophy is already completely unlimited, so bjj already fits into it

before bruce lee came to the united states, he was already proficient at kung fu, and many people might not know this, but yipman DID give lee permission to teach wing chun in the united states, thereby making him a certified instructor, an honor which usually is only bestowed at mastership level

also, most of bruce's original students came to him when they were already blackbelts in other styles and systems, specifically to learn his style..... what does that say about him?

and at 5ft 7in tall, and 147 pounds, who in the ufc is small enough to take on bruce lee? almost everyone ive ever met and trained with was bigger than bruce lee, the man was a tiny chinese fellow with way too much energy and power, and even during the end of his life bruce was bent on doing away with restrictions, one of the reasons he would spar with kareem abdul jabbar and take him in as a student, bruce lee didnt care about sizes, heights and weights, he wanted to be able to beat anyone, regardless of however big they were, so he spent a great deal of time practicing techniques that could accomplish that goal

now, just like yip man, bruce lee had a very personal relationship with his students, so if he did ever develop a ruleset for larry hartsell, chances are it was larry's idea and bruce went with it, after all bruce lee was always trying new things and getting ideas from his friends and students, always experimenting and inventing stuff, but odds are that anything he discussed with larry was on a personal basis, something he liked the idea of, but also something that bruce lee ultimately was against