Bruce and OBLS Dan Lee on the Phone

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

April 1972 (discussion of film, JKD, Muy Thai, BL's temper, fights, BL on Inosanto...)

Bruce Lee: You saw the Tai Chi Self Defense?
    Dan Lee: Yeah.
    Bruce: Well Dan, I hate to tell you this. If you were there, you would have seen all the foreign trend, sitting next to us watching all that fake. Jesus, you will be so embarrassed.
    Dan: Yeah it's a free brawl.
    Bruce: No, it's not even a free brawl. To be a free brawl, it at least be like that Joe Frazier. Now there's a man who is capable of using his tools and who is very determined in a savage leg less attack. When those son-of-a-bitched are cowardice, turning there heads when they swing there punch and after the second round they are out of breath. They're really pathetic looking, very, very amatuerish. I mean even a boxer, they concentrate on two hands, regardless of how amateurish they are, they do there thing. But whereas most guys go out there and haven't decided what the hell they're going to use. Before they contact each other they do all the fancy stance and fancy movements but the minute they contact, they just don't know what the hell to do. I mean that's it. They're stiff and fall on there ass and they hug and hold and grapple. In Hong Kong, even those guys see it that way, I mean, what do you think of the appreciation of the people here. So what I'm hoping to do with film is to be just that man, to raise the level.
    Dan: A real mission there?
    Bruce: It is really.
    Dan: Yeah I mean it upgrades the respect from the Western World.
    Bruce: That's what i hope to do man. The reason i'm coming back is Warners Brothers wants me to do a television series but i don't think i'll do it now. I'm going to concentrate in Hong Kong and do it.
    Dan: Yeah.
    Bruce: And naturally I might be able to expand it to here like the Italian picture, 'A Fistful of Dollars' and things like that if the quality can be uplifted. More and more it's becoming more simple as a human being, and the more I search myself. More and more the questions are more lifted and more and more I see clearly you know.
    Dan: It's really the simplicity.
    Bruce: It is. It really is man. You see what man has to get over is the consciousness of self.
    Dan: I always remember that you use to say, that you have to sharpen up your tools in order to make them work properly.
    Bruce: That's it you see. If you can move with your tools from any angle then you can adapt to whatever the object is in front of you.
    Dan: That's right.
    Bruce: And the clumsier, the more limited the object is, the easier for you to punch on it. That's what it amounts too. What it is -- it utilizes the body to come to some sort of a realization in regard of whatever your pursuit happens to be. In my case it's the pursuit of becoming moment to moment, whatever that thing is and constantly questioning myself you know. What is it Bruce? Is it true or is it not true? Do you really mean it or not mean it? Once I find it out -- that's it. My coming back to refuse the television series is one of the main conversations (Laughs).
    Dan: That's right. You come to the point where it's quite philosophical where you can see the ultimate goal.
    Bruce: I haven't as yet been able to control my anger (Laughs). I have a violent anger.
    Dan: This comes with age (Laughs).
    Bruce: Well it's not only that. If I just give me the time to just stop for a few minutes - I will be able to control it. But unfortunately like someone does me instead of going to a newspaper or walks up to me and slaps me. That's the end of him (Laughs). I have yet been able to turn the other cheek man (Laughs).
    Dan: Even years ago you use to say 'pick the time.'
    Bruce: Pick the time, pick the time. I wouldn't even say anything. I would just show up right in front of his door waiting for him. That's all there is to it. I have yet to refuse a challenge ever since i was in the United States. Wong Jack Man and all these ******** artists, all of them. I just accept it you know.
    Bruce: First question I ask myself is: Do I have any fear or any doubt about this man? I don't. Do I know what his intention is? Yes I do so what the hell are you going to do about it. Nothing (Laughs). That's it. It takes a hell of a lot for me not to do anything than to do something.
    Dan: It's actually a process of maturity.
    Bruce: Not maturity. There is no such word as maturity. Maturing.
    Dan: Maturing?
    Bruce: Damn right man. Because when there is a maturity, there is a conclusion, that's the end, that's when the coffin is closed (Laughs). You might be deteriorating physically in the long process of aging but your discovery daily is still the very same everyday. Where there is a way, there lies the limitation, a circumference, a trap that rots, when it rots it's lifeless.
    Dan: It has made a great impact though in my training. In my thinking of martial arts as a whole. I mean, once you've talked and worked with you -- you would never go back to Kempo. Do you reach another level of understanding?
    Bruce: It's like man you know, he's constantly growing. And when he is bound by a set patterrn of ideas or way of doing things, that's when he's stopped growing.
    Bruce: Well I'm lucky. That's about it.
    Dan: Well you have influenced many people in terms of freedom from there original boundaries.
    Bruce: Well I hope so.
    Dan: Danny (Inosanto) was all exited all over yesterday.
    Bruce: Yeah he was at my house the night before.
    Dan: He was really turned on (Laughs). He don't want us to do anymore heavy bag kicking, he wants us to kick at something light.
    Bruce: When you use your leg It's much better to kick at the foam pad or something like that.
    Bruce: Watch out for the side kick on air kicking too much because it's bad for the knee.
    Dan: It's kind of dangerous yeah?
    Bruce: Well if you snap it too much without contact at the end you know you can get hurt. Well, just think of economical moves.
    Dan: Yeah. There's the Kickboxing Association right in Hollywood Boulevard. You have to go and see it?
    Bruce: They have kickboxing. I saw it in Thailand personally. The bantamweight champion was one of the stuntmen.
    Bruce: Well the problem with them is that they are the John L. Sullivan with there legs (Laughs). I mean they have no finesse. Nothing.
    Dan: No. They hurt the thigh and they try and make the other to completely give up.
    Bruce: Well not all of them do that. You can do that when you are stationary but not when you're constantly moving.
    Dan: I hear the Japanese have incorporated the sweeping kick on the Thailand high kick. The moment they high kick, the Japanese move in and sweep the foot away. Thai have real trouble with there balance because they kick too high.
    Bruce: That's right and because they too obvious. That's the whole deal you see. There is no suddenness, no economy.
    Dan: No broken rhythm either, you can see it coming.
    Bruce: That's right - John L. Sullivan. That's why 80% of the knockouts is done by hand.
    Dan : ..............that Chandler? Guy..
    Bruce: No you put him in the ring, the boxer would just hit on him.
    Dan: Right
    Bruce: OK Dan I'm packing right now.
    Dan: Yeah I know that you're busy. I just wanted to get the chance to say Hello to you.
    Bruce: Thank you -- I'm glad to hear your voice again. I'm selling my house you know?
    Dan: Yeah Danny (Inosanto) told me. Anything you want me to help with, clean ... let me know?
    Bruce: Thank you. Well, this time I'm getting in the men. Too much trouble, I'll just let them do it. Right now I'm just sorting out what I need. I'm going to bring some of my books, some of my clothes -- that's about it.
    Dan: Yeah. Are you going to store things?
    Bruce: Yeah.
    Dan: And when are you coming back?
    Bruce: Well depending on how the film situation is. If it is good, then I'm going to be buying another house.
    Dan: Actually, I think whatever you do over there will have a tremendous impact on your work over here.
    Bruce: Well depending on how the quality of it is going to be. I mean, I'm not talking about myself alone, but directing, budget wise, cinema photographer wise, a lot of things, lighting, everything.
    Dan: Do you think the Hong Kong films are up to standard?
    Bruce: Not really but they can be.
    Dan: Considering the man power and the films.
    Bruce: It's the Hollywood of China you see.
    Dan: They make more films sometimes in a year than in Hollywood over here.
    Bruce: That's about it you know.
    Dan: In the Big Boss you speak Cantonese right?
    Bruce: Yep.
    Dan: Then what do they do?
    Bruce: They just dub it all -- the Mandarin picture. All of them.
    Dan: Will they be coming over here some time?
    Bruce: They will be but I don't know when, because like I told you of the tremendous success they are really holding it back. Trying to get the best deal they can and are trying to distribute it. 'Rank' in England are trying to distribute it all over England. I don't know how the deal came about. I opened a film company recently called 'Concord.' My partner (Raymond Chow) is coming over next week so I'll find out more about it then.
    Dan: I see, good. Well, we're eagerly awaiting for these films to be here.
    Bruce: I think you will like it. (Some words spoken in Cantonese)........................ I died afterwards.
    Dan: That's the historical figure?
    Bruce: No, I'm FOK Kap's student not FOK Kap himself. That is more interesting because FOK Kap is sort of limited because you know we gotta follow how the history goes. So I'm actually portraying his student.
    Dan: His student?
    Bruce: Yeah. There are some things -- I fought with the Japanese and the Russian and all that just like FOK Kap. The fight scenes are really tremendous, I mean I like them myself. I enjoyed them so the regular people should really take to them.
    Dan: Do they all fight in there own style like the Russian Wrestler?
    Bruce: The Russian fights like Karate and all these things - Boxing, Wrestling, everything all together. I bite him and everything (Laughs). The Chinese are not allowed in the park and all that -- remember?
    Dan: Yeah I know the history.
    Bruce: Well exactly. At the end, I died under the gunfire. But it's a very worthwhile death because it's a big moment -- for the Chinese and all that -- I walk out and say **** you man! Here i come! I leap up into the air and they stop the frame (Bang, Bang) like in 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'.
    Bruce: Except they stop the frame so I'm in the middle of the air.
    Dan: Yeah it's a very honorable end.
    Bruce: Yeah according to the Chinese people (Laughs) and the audience do eat it up. Boy, you should see the film goers in Hong Kong. They are very, very, they're too much (Laughs). When they don't like it, they will say (Bruce talks in Cantonese)........ When they do like it, they clap there hands.
    Dan: They clap there hands?
    Bruce: Yeah that's what it is.
    Dan: Well I think you're going to have more and more films coming up in that theme idea and more higher...?
    Bruce: In fact the third film I am going to Europe to film it. It's about a Chinese you know who doesn't know how to speak English somewhere in a Western Country. Where he carries ancient weapons and darts and all that. The fourth one is going to be very much like the 'Silent Flute' except it's not you know. Where it shows how a man started off you know. You will see it in the future -- I mean it's very beautiful and entertaining as well.
    Dan: I heard there's a film being done over here about Chinese Kung Fu and all that?
    Bruce: Yeah but it's a television deal.
    Dan: Television deal - Kung Fu?
    Bruce: Yeah it's called 'Kung Fu' and I was supposed to do it. But the network decided against it and 'Warners' wants me to be in another television series. I'm glad they decided against it (Laughs) because if not, I would have been tied up this year (1972).
    Dan: They're shooting it?
    Bruce: Yeah.
    Dan: Well, when you come back and do another good series.
    Bruce: Television is really, I mean Ah
    Dan:A one shot job.
    Bruce: Yeah you look at all the television series right. I mean all of them are gimmicks and shallowly treated. You look at 'Ironside.' It's all fast money not like a film where you can put a few months into it and work on it. But not television man, it's gotta finish in one week and how can you keep up the quality every week.
    Bruce: And people get tired of it. It's not that bad you know what I mean Dan - it's my personality.
    Dan: You want to actually get deeply into it and the quality -- make it right?
    Bruce: That's right -- you know money comes second.
    Bruce: That's why I did ban all the schools of JKD because it is very easy for a member to come in and take the agenda as the truth and the? As the way. You know what I mean.
    Dan: I think you have to pick a few ones that our true diehard followers that don't go out and teaches JKD.
    Bruce: That's why I tell Dan (Inosanto) to be careful in selecting more students. You should help him in that area.
    Dan: Yeah you can rest on me. I've been working with Dan a lot.
    Bruce: Great.
    Dan: We're really close together.
    Bruce: Great. Dan (Inosanto) -- I told him last time is that he's becoming very stylized. All the preparation before kicking and it seems like his consciousness is really bothering him. Something is bugging him -- you know what I mean?
    Dan: Yeah. Well, I think his heavy bag kicking -- too much heavy bag kicking has affected him in got too much body twisting instead of just going right through. Instead of Boom!!
    Bruce: Yeah and then get the power and momentum and the preparation right out because you can kick a heavy bag that way but you cannot kick an opponent that way.
    Dan: Yeah. The instep he was checking because his toe was touching first instead of flat. But he's working on it real hard and he sort of had a taste of it. We're trying not too much heavy bag, rather get the suddenness of movement and just feel and work on it.
    Bruce: Yeah...so..
    Dan: Well before you leave. Have you got any training session or something?
    Bruce: Training! (Laughs.) How because I'm so God damn busy (Laughs)......Well anyway..
    Dan: I wanna see you personally too? (Laughs)
    Bruce: OK man.....let's see now.
    Dan: It'll be another year until you come back.
    Bruce: Yeah anyway I have your phone number. So if anything should happen I'll give you a call.
    Dan: OK - if you come over for just a few minutes, it'll be satisfying.
    Bruce: OK Dan great.
    Dan: Good talking to you Bruce.
    Bruce: Same to you Dan.
    Dan: Well take care now.
    Bruce: Thanks for calling.
    Dan: You're welcome Bruce.
    Bruce: Thank you.
    Dan: Bye Bye.