Broner v Maidana

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, Dec 12, 2013.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Predictions anyone? If he is going to be the superstar he says he is, this should be an easy fight for Broner. I don't think he is anywhere near as good as he thinks though. Be interesting if Maidana catches him clean to see how he reacts.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I can't stand Broner, but I see a TKO for him. Maidana is just to crude. Broner at a distance isn't as good as Paulie showed. Maidana is a joke of a fight anyway. Matthyysee is the guy he was supposed to fight, but he knew the guy actually had skill. His Father, Uncle, Brother's, even his sister is a fighter lol. Anyway, that's another issue. Broner is ok, but he's not the next Floyd and he's never going to be. He gets hit, and more often than he should for a defensive fighter. Therefore, it is possible for Maidana to get a surprise KO. I'd love to see that myself, but I think it will be pretty easy work for Broner.

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

So happy Maidana wrecked him!! Broner has FINALLY been exposed. The guy is such a pansy. I have to admit, I expected more out of Broner but I figured Maidana would give him trouble (then again, who hasn't Maidana given trouble to?)

I foresee an Amir Khan and Adrien Broner fight in 2014, and assuming Khan pulls that win off, I'd be one step closer to seeing him catching a fight against Floyd like he's been talking about. I lost my faith in Khan a long time ago but I honestly do see him pulling off a win against Broner because of his style. As long as he doesn't stand toe to toe with him, his natural ability should serve him well.

As Malignaggi beautifully said after the fight, "there is only one Floyd Mayweather".

By the way, does anyone know if Broner's unlocked his locker room yet?

4. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, Garcia has worked well for him and Broner learned, as Paulie Malignaggi already said ... Broner is indeed overrated and should have stayed at 135 where he had the size and the power advantage. All I can think is that it's a good think it wasn't Matthysse or I do think his more crisp punches would have resulted in Broner being knocked cold.... and that whining after the head butt. My friend last night counted the ref had warned Broner for putting his forearm up NINE times and wasn't warned... Maidana had a point taken and rightly so, but the headbutt was hardly a Victor Ortiz headbutt. Broner had both of Maidana's arms locked up and Maidana had had enough.

This is one of those times I'm very glad I was wrong in my prediction.

BTW, yes he did... but then he left in an ambulance. His trainer said that "he felt like the scores should have been closer". Really?? Can't just admit your man wasn't ready for the WW division like he thought? Go back to Ohio Adrian... your Floyd wannabe days are OVER.

5. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Yeah I failed to mention the terrible job by the ref. Absolutely ridiculous. Like how he gave him that really dramatic "warning" in the final round... wth was that? Terrible, just terrible. I'm surprised Broner ever came out of the locker room at all.

But here's what he ended up saying according to ESPN, "I'm OK. I'm still the three-time world champion in three different weight classes. Tonight, Maidana was just the better man, but we fought a hell of a fight. I hope the fans got what they deserved. ... I'm still going to live like we won the fight. I'm still going to party. I'll tell you one thing, make a rematch. I don't need a warm-up fight. I want a rematch."

6. hardball

hardball Valued Member

That was an old fashion butt whupping. I really enjoyed the hard punches. Very refreshing from all the pitter patter that goes on in boxing today.

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

8. Saved_in_Blood

So now we have this video that has surfaced... what did ariza give Maidana after Rios just tested positive for a banned substance??

http://instagram.com/p/h7hoPEBaVQ/#

People still all believe manny was a clean fighter?

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Cotton? Smelling Salts?

I really doubt it's anything illegal.

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I read last week about Rios testing positive after the Manny fight. Any positive opinion I had of him coming out of that fight went down the drain. I had long wondered about Ariza's conditioning regarding Pacquiao. Roach and Ariza had their ongoing conflicts when they were still together but I became suspicious of what exactly their issues were when Ariza was forced off the team and Manny "lost" his power.

But to tell you the truth, Maidana fought like he always did. He was always a heavy hitting tank. He fought a smart game. He exposed Broner's defense with that fake out overhand hook that he consistently landed any time Broner tried to use the shoulder roll.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I'm completely with you on that. Manny was using whether knowingly or unknowingly. Ariza could have just given him a handful off pills and told him they were supplements but could have been any number or oral steroids... cream or the clear, etc. Manny is to gullible and that is why he is almost broke now from arum cleaning him out.

12. Saved_in_Blood

If it was smelling salts or something like that... even if it was illegal, I wouldn't give ariza to much crap about it for the simple fact that the ref warned Broner NINE times during that fight for using his forearm, but took an immediate point from Maidana for the headbutt, which Broner acted like a little girl about... you can see from the replay that it barely did anything.

Not to mention the fact that at the end of the 11th he buzzed Maidana AFTER the bell, so the ref at the very least should have given Maidana time to recover because he was still hurt when he came out for the 12th... ref didn't call that. Usually Cole is ok, but he did a HORRIBLE job and they were all working hard to try to get Broner the win. Broner will wind up on ESPN before long and will be a nobody.

13. Saved_in_Blood

14. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

WOWWW, there was DEFINITELY, UNDENIABLY something hidden in that napkin! If Maidana and Ariza are found guilty of this, this could lead to a HUGE series of events in boxing with Pacquiao's legitimacy becoming questionable as well.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

I'm so glad Maidana won. Seems a real nice guy. I really don't know about that napkin stuff. What I do know is I should have put a bet on! I nearly went in the betting shop but then had second thoughts.

I'm surprised Broner made it to the final bell to be honest. He was looking for a way out, hence the pathetic behaviour after the butt. Considering he had been down just before that, surely the ref knew what he was up to. He should have just told him to get on with it. One thing is for sure, all that "2nd Mayweather" nonsense is complete garbage. Whatever people think of him, Mayweather can dig deep when need be. He doesn't give up. And this fight proves there is a lot more to the defence employed by Mayweather than just turning sideways and lifting the shoulder. Broner just stands there and gets hit. A few people have tried it, obviously Broner, Berto as well, and it has gone horribly wrong. And Broner's attitude and stupid comments afterwards really didn't do him any favours. Where does he go from here? He doesn't deserve a rematch. That was a thrashing that will never be forgotten.

16. Saved_in_Blood

What's bad for Maidana is that if they find him guilty of an illegal substance, the bout will be changed into a no decision or no contest.

17. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, but it was against Broner so it don't count! They should have let Maidana beat him with a big stick as well!

Seriously, looking at that video, if there was something fishy in that napkin, would Maidana have known? I know usually there can't be much excuse for what goes into your body, but he was in the corner, getting instructions, you know, lots going on around him, and then he gets that shoved in his face. Would he have known or even thought about it at the time? He seems like such a decent guy, I just can't imagine him cheating.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I would like to also think that Maidana wasn't a cheat, but I have no doubt that Ariza is and I believe more will be coming out about him. As of now, I have seen no results from what was supposed to be 1-2 days before they had decided what they would do or if they found anything at all.

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Some rumours of Maidana being considered by Mayweather are beginning to float around - of course everyone remotely near the weight class is being thrown in as a possibility after a win.

Mayweather to FightHype.com:

"Maidana's name is now in the lottery jackpot box. We all know the Pacquiao fight, at this particular time, will never happen, and the reason why the fight won't happen is because I will never do business with Bob Arum again in life, and Pacquiao is Bob Arum's fighter."

20. Saved_in_Blood

It has been floated around yes, but Maidana may fight Alexander, Rio's, I've heard Provodnikov, any of them would be interesting, the two latter being more so.

Yes, Floyd bought out his contract like Oscar did years ago... both of them have made a TON more money than they would have staying with arum... but 30% per fight IMO is just a bit to much.