Broke my hand sparring JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JKD guy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

I broke my punching hand - pinky finger, just below the knuckle last night sparring. Had gloves on and connected on a body shot to the guy's pelvic bone. This sucks. I will be 4-6 weeks in a cast, with my 'JKD future' questionable. I guess I just wanted to share that.

2. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Sorry to hear it! i hope you heal up real soon!

(Guess you will have to change your name?)

3. Mr.Gordo

Mr.Gordo New Member

Hey man, it happens. work you your kicks in the meantime. Get well soon.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Use it as a reason to develop the other areas in your arsenal. I bust my shin badly some months back. I used it to develop my kicking in my other leg and to change my defensive tactics (shin blocking with a bad shin = stupidity...I speak from experience!)

Did he move or were you aiming a little "south of the border"?

5. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

thanks

Hi guys, thanks, I will do that. :)

I was trying to hit his gut. It wasn't a cheap shot.

6. Mr.Gordo

Mr.Gordo New Member

Well dammit, go for the cheap shot next time! ;)

7. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

good point

Good point. On the street, I would have hit his groin.

8. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

thats harsh, what gloves were you wearing?

9. Aldarion

Aldarion Banned Banned

If You take JKD then why would you need to use a cheap shot?

10. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Sorry to hear about your injury. But as Hannibal pointed out, use this time to sharpen other areas. If you are doing JKD for self-defence do you think anyone is not going to attack you because you are in a cast? Exact opposite if you ask me. I never felt so helpless or so vulnerable as when I had an obvious, visible sign that advertised to everyone I had a weakness. So continue the training.

When I broke my knee I only took a month off to get out of the zimmer and then started back training, mostly working my punches. After surgery I took another few weeks off and went back to work my punches. After a year of taking if very easy I had improved my speed, strength and accuracy that I could trade standing up with most of the guys in my dojo.

Something to think about. Take care of that hand.

11. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

kali

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's advice. New territory for me.

I take kali on and off, and people ask 'when would anyone ever have access to a stick in a real fight ?'. Well, if you have a cast on, it is like having a stick taped to your forearm. In a serious fight, I would use my whole arm as a kali stick !! Talk about a 'found object' ! I doubt anyone would expect it, either.

12. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

Because in a real fight you take any chance you can, because the other guy almost definitely will

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

First of all wow , how did you do it ? I broke it (same spot) when i punched a wall but with gloves on?You must have put a lot of effort into it...

JKD future questionable?

What do you mean ? You might not take Jkd again because of the injury?

Bones are organic and have the ability to become exactly as tough as they where before , if they brake. I even punch the havy bag barehanded without any problem now a year and a half after.

4-6 weeks is the time you get the cast off. That doesnt mean its gonna be ok. Real recovery is about 3-4months , and it will have fully recovered (meaning you can start punching hands barehanded without worrying) in 6-12 months

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  14. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Its all good, and can happen to anyone who strikes; lots of conditioning helps lessen the chance of that happening, but it still can happen none the less.

Question: Did he move very quickly, or was your eyes closed as you strike? A lot of people, (myself included) tend to close their eyes on impacting with someone, or just before you actually hit, which makes this sort of thing much more probable. Sometimes you don't realise that you do...

I had a very similar thing happen to me over two years ago; (real fight circumstances unfortunately.) It took 6 weeks to heal and about 2 months to start punching anything, a good two months after that to start punching with impact.
    In the mean time I worked my single chi sao on other hand, and some one-handed sparring, (which was cool!). Don't let it put you off, just count it as experience, and to be careful in future.

15. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

splint

I will be in a splint, with 2 fingers taped together, for 3-5 weeks. No surgery required. Could have been worse.

16. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

NOOOOOOO :eek: :eek: :eek:

You miss all the fun :D :D

17. Tireces

Tireces New Member

If YOU take JKD, why would you be so uninformed about it as to actually say that?

18. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

The groin kick is a jkd favourite, always take it if its there, cheap or not :)

maybe not on your training partner ;)

19. Black Dog

Black Dog Expressionist

Aside from all the nice talk of groin shots...

Plenty of people keep training after these somewhat small injuries and never really stop. You just work on other things, but it really doesn't seem like enough of an impetus to fully stop JKD altogether. I mean, if you have lost your passion for it or something, then by all means. But a broken hand shouldn't be an end.

20. slayed

slayed New Member

Hey man, cheer up, i feel your pain man. Factured my wrist when i was kick by a TKD black belt in my karate class. I did my time during those weeks in cast, dont say your JKD future is question about, this time is the best time to catch up on readings, practice your foot work, run in the gym, pick up chick, ( ok scratch the last one off) but u get the idea.

Good luck man