british terms?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by southern jester, Jun 9, 2007.

1. southern jester

southern jester New Member

read several replies that used a lot of terminology or maybe slang? that i am not really farmiliar with. since most of this came from british martial arts students have to assume these terms come from there. what does either a punchup or rogered mean? any other martial related terms i might want to know?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

punch up = fight
    rodgered = being on the receiving end of a rodgering. (= shagging) not a martial term AFIK your school might be different -in which case leave now and consult a law enforcement professional.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Bwahahaha! Definitely not martial arts related! :D

As Doug said, "rogered" = "made some lovin'"
    punch-up = "fight"

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

From watching 24, I'm guessing 'Rogered' probably translated best into American as 'Screwed'. Though there is no such insult in English as 'Roger you!'

But it does mean we all smirk certain fictional characters come up, the classic being Roger the Cabin Boy.

5. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Sounds like something from Captain Pugwash

6. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I'll thought I'd post some more terms you Americans haven't come across.

Batty Boy= Gay (insult)
    Quid= Great British Pound
    Have 'em= Means mainy things but usually means take him on

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Christ... them Americans live cut off from the rest of the world eh? :rolleyes:

8. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Well TBH I wasn't completely sure if those terms were restricted to Britain. When I said Americans, I meant the rest of the world; I have a bad habit of thinking anyone who's not British is American. :p

And yes Americans are cut off from the world. :p :Angel:

9. Moosey

That's Jamaican not British. We nicked (stole!) it from them!

10. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Strange selection. Why did you choose those to showcase English slang?

There are already enough home-spun homophobic expressions without choosing a Jamaican one - a culture that's known for murdering gays...

If the OP or anyone else is interested this is quite an interesting site highlighting some of the differences between English and American.

11. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Seems you had away with my post too! :D

12. Moosey

This thread makes me want to say "hear all, see all, say nowt. Eat all, drink all, pay nowt, and if thee ever does owt for nowt, do it for thi'sen".

Now that's proper English!

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

nowt?
    like a newt?

Attached Files:

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhhhhh "nowt" is perhaps my most overused word :D

As are"manky" and "nowty" :D

15. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Silly Slip. :rolleyes: We don't have time to catch up on the idiosnycrasities of European language, we have to meet our saturation bombing quota for the year. We're up to the "I"s as a remember :D

16. southern jester

southern jester New Member

no we Americans are not cut off from the rest of the world. there are probably slang terms we use here that people from other countries have never heard used before.

make an effort to read about other contries and thier unique cultures. not like having a degree in something. just reading books and watching television shows about the subject. love bbc by the way.

dr.moose- did not understand hardly a word you wrote. been to Canada a few times for hunting,fishing and tourism. never heard anything like that before. was that your best effort to imitate some of the poor english used in this country?

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I understood exactly what he was saying :)

18. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

What does "door knockered" mean?

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I understood as well. It's British not Cannuckian or US English. So Lancs, Glasgow, and Wherever Mooseville UK is all got it, anyone from Yorks or Lincs or Derbyshire would have got it too.

20. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

I expect most Britons have a much better grasp of American English than vice-versa, mainly because of all the American TV we're subjected to ;) . The BBC doesn't really reflect the way most actual Brits talk, with the possible exception of football pundits.