British Aikido Pioneers meet the Doshu Moriterue Ueshiba

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by macker, Jun 23, 2010.

1. macker

macker Valued Member

Some months ago Sensei's ~ Haydn Foster ~ Henry Ellis ~ Derek Eastman were advised by TK Chiba Shihan that the Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba had requested a meeting with the last three pioneers of British Aikido at the Cardiff Seminar to be held at Sofia Gdns Sports Centre. The meeting was held in the Doshu's Executive suite. It was anticipated that the meeting would be brief, It was quite the opposite, the meeting was very cordial and openly welcoming, the Doshu was happy to accommodate all photo requests, he asked many questions on the early days and the teachers. The Doshu honoured Sensei's Foster ~ Ellis ~ & Eastman with their 6th dan AikiKai Hombu certificates and membership books.
    Later in the evening Ellis Sensei presented the Doshu with the brochures of the 2005 ``Kenshiro Abbe Memorial Event `` and the brochure of the 2007 `` Masahilo Nakazono Memorial Event `` the Doshu appeared pleased with these historic items.
    The members of the AikiKai Joint Council ( JAC ) were very friendly and welcoming at the social buffet during the evening. The British BiranKai members were excellent and could not do enough to make our weekend complete, we thank them for that.

It is rather sad that we ``all``(Sensei Ellis ~ Eastman ~ Foster) felt it was wise to stay away from the Doshu Course due to the attitude of the actual event organiser. When Sensei Eastman phoned the Marriott Hotel where the Doshu was staying, which was also the venue of the event evening buffet, Sensei Eastman asked for room prices, he was advised that if he was attending the event ?? he would qualify for a Marriott discount of some £30 per head, the receptionist offered to phone the event organiser and gave the names of the three pioneers who were there at the invitation of the Doshu, she requested permission to give us the discount that came from the hotel and not the event. the organiser replied
    """" NO !!! """""""""" they have nothing to do with the event !!! """"""" with this in mind we decided to stay away from the event...I have related this pathetic incident to show the sadness that exists in our so called Aikido community.................

A link with some early released photos

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cardiff/2010/jun/21/cardiff-aikido-joint-council-event

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

When people are treated like this. Why do people covet these grades and seminars so much? This sort of treatment is nothing new. It's not even unique to Aikido or Japan. But then again. As it's nothing new. Why are people surprised by it? Does everybody think it won't happen to them?

Perhaps the Japanese were insulted in some way. Who knows.

3. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

doshu visit

I can assure you that the Doshu, Waka Sensei certainly were not insulted by anyone during this weekend.Doshu and his entourage both in public and in private were very polite and excellent company.Doshu indicated throughout the weekend how much he was happy to be in the U.K. after so many years since his previous visit.

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Why am I not surprised

Those gentlemen mentioned are indeed pioneers of aikido in Britain.

However the last time I looked I was still alive.

I also remember being the national coach for SCOTLAND (which is still part of Britain) for the ten years Chiba shihan was here.

I also have fukushidoin (pioneer) certificates.

I hesitated to post this but I tire of SCOTLAND BEING INVISIBLE when histories are written, I have known too many fine Scottish aikidoka who spent a lifetime in the art.George Girvan Tommo etc.

Little wonder that I have contempt for politics.

Then again the third certificate is from Saito Shihan whose instruction I saught on CHIBA shihan's recommendation.This is in Iwama aikido. Those involved in politics shall know what this means.

Politics have NO PLACE in martial arts.:bang:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. (I have no opinion/comment on the politics involved).

I am writing in this thread just to say that I had a decent time at the seminar. I learnt a few things and met a few nice people.

The downside was the lack of space. How many people were there? How many mats?

I would love to have been thrown properly by some of the people I was working with.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You know the rule Koyo, Britain exists south of Manchester, the rest is just wilderness. You are quite right to point it out. As usual, it will fall on deaf ears.

The Bear.

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

The underlying theme /objective for this course was to bring together the Aikido community under the direction of the Doshu.May I say that I felt this was a successful course where aikidoka of all ages /grades/affiliations came to Cardiff and worked together in a very enjoyable manner.It was as has been noted a very crowded tatami , but this did not cause a great deal of bother.
    Socially it was very good and like Vimto I had opportunity to meet some old friends and meet some very nice newcomers.
    In conclusion I think the event organizer David Yates did a really good
    job overall.It was a monumental task and while there might have been the odd thing that could have been better, in general it was a excellent event.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

A most unworthy of agenda.

The Bear.

9. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

scotland aikido

In response to the comments about Scottish Aikido I for one remember with fondness and admiration the work carried out [and in some cases still being carried out]by Scottish aikidoka such as George Girvan , Billy Noble,Tom Pierce,Matt Tennant.Matt Holland,Murray and Shiela Walker, Alan Mc Murray, Jamie Jamieson, Andy Henderson ,Gerry Mc Kenna ,Stevie Boyle, Mike Flynn and of course Koyo.Whether these guys are mentioned in Aikido historical archive is really of no major consequence.Any absence or failure to put their names in the history books does not in anyway detract from their contributions to the art.
    If I have neglected to mention any others such as some of the Iwama practitioners I apolgise for any oversight on my part.

10. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Bear,
    Surely any event which tries to bring people together in a spirit of goodwill and friendship , sharing a mutual passion for Aikido can only be a good thing?I hardly think that the Doshus visit was an unworthy event.

11. Alot of people on the mat can be good and can add to the energy of an event. However, if people are going to an aikido seminar I personally think the priority should be to learn and to train - and I would not agree with the fact that the lack of space did not cause bother.

Firstly there is a greater chance of silly injuries in such crowded conditions.

Additionally, it is also frustrating not to be able to pin someone or throw someone (or be pinned/thrown) due to lack of space.

The way around this would be to limit the number of people or to structure/organise people so that people are throwing/taking down in the same direction, or working in groups when doing a technique that requires a large area.

For example, 800+ on a small mat are not going to be able to do yokomen uchi kotegaeshi (2) in its entirety. Even suwari waza shomen uchi sankajo osae (1) is made very problematic under these circumstances. Would I be exaggerating if I were to say that there was less than one mat per person?

I am not being negative - it is an observation.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Bringing Aikido under the direction of the Doshu, I was meaning. As for the rest, I would rather spend a weekend with five dedicated hard training comrades, than 500 "friends". Aikido today seems overly concerned with quantity rather than quality.

The Bear.

13. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Hi Sakumeikan,

Nice to see Andy Henderson get a mention, he's still well and active in Aikido, he's my instructor. We joke behind his back about him being like yoda, not in size, but he likes to pretend he's an old man, but boy can he still move when he wants to and you end up across the room!

14. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Hi Phantom Power,
    Even when Mr Henderson was a slip of a boy[circa 1970]he was always in line for film roles that Walter Brennan [Stumpy ] used to play in the John Wayne movies[just joking here ].I had many a fun moment with him.Good to know hes still active.Give him my very best regards.Where does he train?By the way I forgot to mention Tom Weir in my earlier blog.

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Phantom Power

Tell Andy he still owes his old teacher for the last round of pints in Glasgow.

He knew me as Slim.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  16. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

There may well have been quantity at Cardiff but I also saw considerable quality.I also cannot see how meeting new people and old comrades can be seen as negative.I much prefer expanding my own horizons rather than having an insular attitude.Each to his/her own?

17. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

While we both agree the mat as very crowded surely the onus for practicing safely lies with the people practicing?Over and above the technical aspects that were being shown one had to be considerate and sensitive to the uke and make allowances for others while practising.
    The fact that there were virtually no injuries sustained/if any says quite a lot for the students who were there.I thought that people coped very well under the circumstances.

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

No one said insular, you find the best you can and you train with them. If you had the opportunity to spend a weekend at an Aikido conference or with O'Sensei, which would you choose? Would you expand your horizons at the conference or choose the insular training?

Yes, I too know how to play political games. I have been the secretary of a UK martial arts organisation myself and I have ran national events. All these things are utterly meaningless, compared to having one or two true students of an art to accompany you on the road.

The Bear.

19. I agree that the onus lies with those practicing.

It is obviously good news that there were few injuries sustained.

It was just not possible to pin or throw people - or do the techniques demonstrated (including the two I mentioned) 8 out of 10 times due to lack of space. This could have been remedied easily (by restricting number, having a larger venue or making people work in groups).

Like I say, I am trying not to come across as negative.

What did you take away from the event, if you don't mind me asking?

20. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Bear ,
    The proposition that you put is a hypothetical one.The choice would depend on what would be my own relative position at the moment in question.By that I mean if O Sensei was [for the sake of the discussion ]
    holding a course while at the same time an Aikido conference was taking place and I was the Chairman of the Aikido Conference I could hardly say to my fellow Exe. Sorry lads I am off to see O Sensei.One occasionally has to sacrifice ones own wishes on occasion.
    Of course if I was free to make a choice and I had no such obligations to attend said conference I would go and see O Sensei.This would be the sensible /logical thing to do.
    As far as politics are concerned I do not play at politics .Neither do I consider politics as a game.Politics be it of Aikido or National issues eg the economy /Afghanistan etc is a matter for serious consideration.Of course the Aikido political scene bears no comparison to issues like Afghanistan etc.
    I do agree that if you have a few sincere colleagues it is highly rewarding .Status/position is not everything. Be you soldier , sailor , rich man
    or poor man we are all in time simply returned to dust.All that anyone can do is to be sincere , work hard and try and lead by good example.