Breathing through nose problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by u6s68, Jul 10, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Does anyone have the problem that their airways are not fully open and they can't physically get enough air in through them?

It's a real problem for me as I have to open my mouth and take a huge breath in when sparring and the gum shield doesn't help.

My resting breathing is very audible when breathing through the nose and I was constantly congested as a child.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you're not used to breathing through your nose it can take a while to get used to it. You need to force yourself to breathe through your nose as much as possible.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i would also suggest going to a doctor and seeing WHY you can't breathe properly through your nose

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Seconded, ive a deviated septum which has the same effect, earlier it get sorted the better.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I used to have that problem, then I got my nose crushed in a submission grappling comp and it's fine now :D I wouldn't recommend it as a solution though.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Your parents didn't take you to a doctor when you were a child to figure it out?

Have you had other sinus problems?

Do you think you may have something else like sleep apnea?

I agree. Go to a doctor (Don't do as Sifu Ben posted :) )

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

OP, if the DR says your all good, i.e. no physical obstruction, etc, can have a look at the complimentary therapy - 'Buteyko Method'. It is a type of breath training which trains people to, amongst other things, comfortably breathe through the nose.

8. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Train how you fight.

Do all your cardio work while wearing your mouthshield.

Go jogging with it in, skip with it in, bag work with it in. Learn to breath with it in. If you constantly train without it, then sparring with it will feel alien.