Breaking Walls and Stuff

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kibbles, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

If I were to try to learn to break really hard vertical surfaces such as brick walls with my bare hands, what should I do? ... and more importantly what should I not do (aside from not attempt the feat in the first place)?

This is more an attempt to figure out how to train for one narrow aspect of an "ultimate punch" than to actually cause harm to brick walls.

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Walls don't hit back. :)

I have no idea how to punch a brick wall without the brick wall winning, I'm a little unsure as to what exactly an ultimate punch is TBH. Could you elaborate?

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I am sure it could be done, you could easily show me clips posted on you-tube, I still say it is stupid.

Train smart and train into later life. Who wants hands like a bunch of bananas? Not me.

4. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

My idea of an ultimate punch is thus:
    It's not telegraphic and can't be anticipated
    It's too fast to be blocked
    It's too powerful to be blocked
    No one can withstand the punch

In short, it does not exist.

The question I posted is about the "It's too powerful to be blocked" & "No one can withstand the punch" parts.

It's a somewhat theoretical question that has to do with my punch training.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I think breaking is an antiquated form of conditioning and demonstration of power. If you want to develp a devestating punch you are going to be better off developing power by hitting a heavy bag, developing your form and developing an excellent sense of timing. Smashing your hands into brick walls is pointless, even theoretically :hat:

6. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

OK cool.

So in essence you want to further your training by focusing on learning to develop a punch that doesn't exist? I understand the theoretical part but the training aspect, if the theory is impossible, eludes me. If you want to learn how to punch hard i'm sure some of the pugilists on here could offer advice but i doubt it requires any special training or understanding.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

go weight-train, do iron palm, and perfect your structure.

most similar thing you'll ever find.

oh, and spar.

8. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Your concern is noted. A palm strike then?

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Spot on, nothing difficult, nothing secret, just body mechanics.

To use a saying from Tai Chi "when one part hits, all parts hit".

Lets take the rear cross, since that is the punch seen as the knockout punch. I always liken it as follows: -

Have you ever been in the house with the front door and back door open when the wind rips through the house, how damn hard does one of the doors slam. That is what your rear cross should be like. One side of the body locks off (the hinged side of the door), while the other side from the toe, knee, hip, trunk and shoulder all slam into the direction of the punch. Simple. All parts coming together as one.

Another way to imagine it is the whip. All momentum gathering to the tip of the whip and crack, it all explodes in one go.

This is what I love about the art now I am older, the body mechanics.

What more do you want, what more is there?

And you can do the above without risk of injury, or banana fingers that you cannot straighten when you are 60.

10. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

What weight training would you suggest?
    Any optimal structure training or strike type you might suggest?

As for sparring, that's for a separate aspect of what I'm trying to figure out. I'm a sparring advocate as well.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I quite like breaking, just for fun really, though it does have other, limited uses. But that's breaking boards, not smacking a wall :)

Mitch

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

With regards to weights I'd suggest compound lifting - heavy, low rep, explosive lifts with an emphasis on the posterior chain... if you really want to kno wwhat to lift for power then head over to the lifting section and maybe hit up the t-nation boards too.

I still say bag work, form and timing is what you want though.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

HEAVY weight training. full-body. the structure for whatever strike you want to develop. structure is correct body mechanics optimized for whatever strike you're doing, so train technique, strengthen the muscles you need for that technique, make your joints limber so they don't adversely affect your movements through muscle tightness, and then strike the everliving <beep> out of a heavy bag.

aaaand no :p . spar more, and more frequently. doing isolated techniques and applying them to someone else are two very different things, and all your training will be worth jack squat if you can't hit anyone with it.

14. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Good points and pointers everyone.

Your mention of banana knuckles is one of the "consequences/risks I didn't specifically think of but knew existed". It's the reason I posted this here before trying anything drastic.

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

The single most important thing about a good punch, or any other strike, is something you haven't listed. Without it you can hit as hard and fast as you like and it will still do you no good.

Can you guess what it is?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Didn't know you were Rolf Harris :D

Mitch

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

As an isolation technique lay into a heavy bag hard and often , but as others have said it's kinda pointless without some sparring to learn timing and distance.

18. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Uh... hitting the other guy? I thought that was covered by the definition of a punch.

19. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Good tips.

Yes. Sparring. Gah! You're preaching to the converted. I spar whenever I can.

Also, you can't apply a technique in sparring if you don't know it yet. You just kinda screw it up in the middle of the match and get hit hard or hurt yourself with your own mistakes.

I know how to train for speed and accuracy, more or less. I've always had decent power so I've never considered training for that until now.

20. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Timing. Its almost impossible overstate how important it is. A wall doesn't help your timing. Even bags do as they swing. If anything punching a wall will hurt your punching ability in the longer term as pretty soon you won't be able to punch very well due to hand damage.