Breaking (boards etc) in Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by scm, Mar 24, 2011.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

A good punch-bag - not too light and not too heavy - is also a great aid.

And of course the traditional Makiwara (or as my wife calls them a Wakimara)

2. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think breaking is a good test of "bottle" in that it shows you won't hold back when striking something that is hard.But the object being hit does have to be as close as possible as the human head.Bricks are far better than boards as its always daunting hitting a brick and not knowing if your hand is going to break.Bricks also show you how limited you are to the tools that are really effective.The only tool I have managed to break a brick with is the open palm and that is what I would use to defend myself.All the rest proved to be either ineffective or were prone to damage.So done properly breaking does provide some feedback but if you are breaking the wrong materials it can lead to a false sense of confidence in your tools.

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Of course. :)

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:eek::):eek:

5. 47MartialMan

I like your post.

However, am I to understand that you are saying breaking bricks is harder to do than boards?

What type of bricks do you break?

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

ahaaaaaahaaaaaaa yeah the grapplers biggest fear the army of gangley prepubescent teens and similarly scrawny ass guys in there early 20s who learned the secret strike that will stop any fight from going to the ground by breaking wooden bored's, and there's me thinking that taekwondo class that trains at the other end of the hall from my judo class really didn't seem to have its priority's right, how wrong I was.

7. 47MartialMan

Yeah. Simply "I can break a board, I can break your face" mentality

"Hold still, I have to focus my Ki, I have to focus my punch through"

"Don't move, I have to breathe"

Material selection is the KEY
    University Students, with no skill, no training, were doing breaks in physics classes

(I don't count knowledge of material selection, physics human body-force properties, as skill or training)

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah exactly break bored's if you want, personally Id find it horribly embarrassing in this day in age, its one of those daft things associated with MA's that's become more of a pop culture niche than anything else, but to each his own. but the idea that it in anyway is an effective training method for striking when you could just use pads or a punch bag is ridiculous, the idea that it will help you counter a take down is hilariously comforting, comforting to know there are people so deluded going around thinking they can fight.

9. 47MartialMan

Agreed.

If you are gonna waste material, time, and effort in breaking, you can use the same in practicing realistic methods

10. Osu,

This is not a very good argument, although it is commonly used...
    Even if you could spend your time more efficiently, that does not mean that conditioning, etc... is useless.

As to material selection:
    Louisville slugger made of quarter cut ash vs. human shin!

I don't think the majority of Martial Artists, let alone your average physics student would shin break one (or two or four) without proper training and conditioning.

But hey, I'll gladly be wrong here too...

Osu!

11. 47MartialMan

Parlour trick

They are not hitting the hardest-thickest part

It serves no purpose than to entertain

12. osu,

I'll respect your personal special case experience :)
    ... even it differs from mine.

Osu!

13. 47MartialMan

I respect yours, even though it isn't a case of reality from my era and environment

(Note, I am not saying a type of conditioning is never useful, in more modern societies where hardcore bone on bone fighting is not paramount, such conditioning is not the option nor the necessity. All of the conditioning in the world will never completely compensate)

14. Osu,

Very good, thank you...
    Maybe we are not in complete opposition then; I might have misunderstood some of your earlier statements, or maybe misinterpreted your insistence; my bad. :)

OSu!

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I don't break anything these days,far too old and have too much respect for my hands.Around decade ago I used to break concrete house bricks with an open hand slap.I started with storage heater bricks which are quite easy to break and built up from there.A lot depends on how many boards you are breaking.Three one inch thick boards broken with a reverse punch would be a far bigger challenge than breaking a storage heater brick with an open hand slap.

16. 47MartialMan

Concrete house blocks?

Can you link/show a pic?

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

First piccie is a brick.

19. 47MartialMan