Breakfalls in MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by stump, Dec 26, 2002.

1. stump

stump Supersub

Hi folks,

I'd like to hear your opinions on breakfalling in vale tudo/ MMA

DOes anyone here practise them or use them when being taken down? Are they modified from the standard Judo/jujitsu breakfalls?

Also I think they are a great warm up/CV workout in preparation for rolling. Does anyone else use them in this way?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Stump

We use standard falling & rolling breakfalls - we also use other drills as "Agility & Warm up" drills. Things like rolls, falls, cartwheels, round-offs, shrimps etc.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Cheers Yoda,

could you explain round-offs please?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Stump

A Round-off starts like a cartwheel but ends facing the way you came from with both feet together. It's the 1st movement of most complex tumbling routines you see gymnasts do... like this....

[​IMG]

5. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Ah yes the cartwheel, that movement that the great Yoda has perfected, after training with a highly qualified cartwheel instructor, before hand it was more cart horse than cart wheel!!!

6. just

just New Member

breakfalls are useful if someone manages to get a good clean throw on you but will find more often than not this doesn't happen and you are taken down somehow and are trying to get position on the way down so miss the breakfall, but if your not goin down hard then who cares

7. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Then try it on concrete. The principles of the breakfall still need to be used otherwise you will be injured or even just have the wind nocked out of you - giving your assailant the opportunity to finish you.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Practicing on concretes silly, you get all scratched. Try it on a wooden floor, same kinda impact (bit easier actually) without the nasty scratched.

Practice standing grappling without the mats. Its amazing how fewer time you get caught when you ain't got no mat to land on! ;)

Col

9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

We seem to do the same kind of warm-ups that Yoda mentioned.

Thanks to stump for finding out what a round-off is!

We used to practice the cartwheel all the time when I trained NPC Kung-Fu at Sussex as there was a form that involved a one-handed version. I got quite good at it but years of no practice seem to have taken their toll. As cycle path put it definitely more carthorse than wheel...

I managed to break and displocate my thumb one time whist cartwheeling away from a rather irrate security guard at the uni campus - my friend and I had been out on a session after training and obviously decided we were ninja. Up unitl that point I was looking quite stylee...

10. Solane

Solane New Member

No you get splinters instead, unless its sanded and polished then you can get friction burns, or end up looking lackered like you have been done by mister sheen

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Wear a Gi, that'll take care of the friction burns! ;)

Col