Break Test

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sonshu, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Right following on from a specific thread which is long running here is a thought.

Are there any people who know enough about the science of board breaking etc Physics of it blah blah as I would like to get a harmless bit of fun up and running on MAP.

People all get the same brand of boards or such items and we have a MAP breaking competion. I for one do not practice this but thought it would be a laugh and then post vids of us doing it.

Anyone game and know enought to suggest what we need to do to make it fair and legit????

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Not sure if you could actually "judge" the fairness of a breaking competition solely by submission of a video of a break.

Who is going to inspect the materials used in order to make this MAP competition fair & legit ? ;)

3. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

And of course the unscrupulous who would head to their nearest Pizza hut and use their ovens to 'cook' some bricks and boards.

Damn gave away my secret.

4. jess869

jess869 New Member

it wouldn't be a fair competition

do it anyways

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

For a nominal fee... you can fly me in to personally inspect your breaking materials :) ;)

If you're looking for "harmless fun" ... then by all means, grab your cams and film your breaks and we'll make a separate thread in which you can post your vid clips.

You best know what you're doing if you've never attempted board breaking otherwise it will not be "harmless fun" .... well, if not done properly and following the correct procedure.
    You will find all this info in the TKD forum in the Helpful TKD Resource Links thread under Breaking and Destruction Links

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Have a standard board. I propose:

Purple Heart or Impact Grade Hickory sapwood 12 inch 2x4s, clear, cut within the last 24 hours, not kiln dried. No spacers.

7. Sonshu

I had a plan - someone who is in the know on such things as break boards suggests a brand and type and the people who want to take part sadly have to purchase there own boards.

At least this way we all use the same materials - I think this is about as "fair" as it could be.

8. Sonshu

I have broken about 2 boards in my life and they were not a bit challenge so I was looking for some expert advise from the TKD and Karate lads and ladies to point thoes interested in the right direction.

Fly you over you say............... hmmmmmmmmm

9. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

So are we allowed to kick the board,punch the board or knife hand strike it?? :D

10. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Yep sound good.

I love breaking things.

1) My nose has been broken several times

2) My toes are beyound repair

3) I hate broken ribs as it huts when I sneeze

4) Knuckles take forever to mend

Well vdo's of breaks are great but lets keep the competition element out of it ! :(

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Why not have a competition on the most inventive breaking technique using standard white rebreakable boards. Sure there are flaws but you cant say it wont be fun.Its not as if were looking for a word breaking champion now are we??

12. Mufty

Mufty New Member

I think we should have vdo's of of us showing how our bits n bobs were broken thats more fun than breaking rebreakable boards, I say this because my rebeakable board was borrowed, and never returned so it means I gotta buy a new one.

13. Sonshu

I think everyone will have different levels of ability to break stuff - I mean I have no real experience in it and expect people to wipe the floor with me.

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Right for all you people who smack bits of wood and stuff :D

Does your technique differ when breaking to when hitting someone???
    I can appreciate that there's going to be similar principles i.e. correct skeletal alignment and such but are there an major differences!

Please excuse my ignorance but I like to keep away from anything DIY related :D and so have no background in breaking whatsoever !!

Cheers

psst Sonshu er how we going to go about getting KickChick :love: over here then :D :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  15. Sonshu

Spooky even I know there will be differences and again it comes to delivery systems (lol) you need to maintain a defence and awareness which you dont need hitting something that does not hit back.

I think the punch as such will be similar though as its blunt force trauma on an object. Well thats how I will do it anyhow.

Kiddenap I think :D She wont see it coming - Black bag time! lol

16. Sonshu

Purple heart sounds good - any idea where to order them from and what stengths they come in (if at all)?