Bravo Two Zero v the one that got away

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Southpaw535, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've been a chris ryan and andy mcnab fan for a good few years so i inevitably decided to read their accounts of their most famous mission: The one that got away and bravo two zero respectively. I loved both books but they seem to contradict in some places and after some digging i found that a couple of other accounts also offer different events. So I was wondering which one MAP thought was telling the truth?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Mc Nab is not his real name and he is NOT welcome in Hereford. Draw your on conclusions.

regards koyo

3. Southpaw535

haha I'm sensing a lot of hostility here.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

When you say 'A fan for many years', due you mean that you've read their fiction books?

Try reading these two books, they blow holes out of both McNab and Ryan's accounts.

The Real Bravo Two Zero by Michael Asher

Soldier Five: The Real Truth About the Bravo Two Zero Mission by Mike Coburn

5. Southpaw535

i mean they've been my favourite authors for quite a few years. thanks for the reference as well i reserved soldier 5

6. koyo

Damien Lewis Operation Certain Death. True acount of SAS in Siera Leone is a real frightener.

regards koyo

7. Southpaw535

cheers sounds interesting

8. Southpaw535

sooooo why is Andy mcnab so hated among the SAS?

9. koyo

In Bravo Two Zero he painted one of the troopers as a coward and embellished his own actions.
    The regimiment sees BTZ as a balls up. There are other actions and men more worthy of note.

regards koyo

10. Southpaw535

fair enough. I know the normal military doesnt stand for people saying that sort of thing so i can only imagine what the SAS would make of it. To be fair though no one knows what happend with BTZ. I know of i think four different accounts and they all differ.

11. koyo

When all hell breaks loose you are fighing not for Queen and country but for the guy next to you who trusts you with his life.You DO NOT badmouth him if he does not make it back.

That is the bottom line for guys in the regiment.

regards koyo

12. Southpaw535

same as any unit in the forces

13. Shaun Downing

Shaun Downing New Member

I believe Michael asher did a documentary and book called The Real Bravo two Zero.
    Walked the same route as the doomed mission did.
    He found many of the incidents in Bravo Two zero very different from what he actually found while following the missions.
    The officer that debriefed them also stated the debrief was very different account from the sensational book.
    Also Andy McNab broke tradition and mentioned the deceased Operators real names which is a big no no in the world of Covert ops, especially in The britsh Special Forces.
    I haven't seen or read "The One That Got away", and so cannot comment, but I have read and watched Bravo two Zero.
    When i read it & saw the BBC TV movie with Sean Bean, who was brilliant, I never take it as gospel.
    Let's face it meeting a handful of unarmed farmers with a digger isn't as exciting as being charged by 7 dozen highly trained Iraqi soldiers.
    A bunch hard as nails SAS blokes, with the one of the best covert special forces training in the world, isn't going to say a bunch of Farmers spooked us.
    Thats not going to make the New York times best sellers list is it.
    Andy McNab would never of been the huge star he is.
    The disclaimer "Based on Real Events" usually means we've took some artistic licencing with it. Which Usually means 8 SAS blokes went on a mission, some died, some were caught and some got away. The rest is artistically recreated to be exciting, intense and action packed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022