Brainwashed!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pocketwarrior, Nov 21, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Has anyone ever come across a certain club or MA practitoner that is completely brainwashed (either by their instructor or their own beliefs) into thinking that there's is the only way.

I have seen clubs that make you run outside on stony carparks in bare feet, or ones that tell you not to practice any other MA's because nothing will come close to theirs. Some clubs that tell you that certain weapons are legal to carry when they are very much illegal! ect ect..

Has anyone encountered clubs like these that completely brainwash the unprepared student?:Alien:

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Never, it's a lie I tell ya, a damn filthy lie. :D

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes, but they're all lying!

Because Goshido Tai Jitsu is the best, its got everything, anybody saying anything else is the best is lying! ;)

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and its ready to get chopped, but I think some of the ****** styles and *** are the worst for it, what do you think ;)

Edited at time of posting by FF to save his own neck, if anybody wants to know what the 2 blanked out words are, feel free to PM me for an argument.... I mean answer :D

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Absolutely, that ***** guy over at *** talks so much ******* that he ought to be locked away somwhere where his **** will never be inflicted on anyone ever again. :D

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

6. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

Yeah, some dodgy kungfu school, they kick you out if they find you crosstraing, they suck, the instructor spent have the lesson slagging of every other school in the area,

i dont train there anymore

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

The technical name for this condition is the "Buzz Lightyear syndrome"

"You're not a space ranger, you're a toy"

"It's not a laser, it's a little light that flashes"

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Should the teacher keep telling the students that there are other equally good ways, that this isn't the only way etc, could come accross badly.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well, i don't think that the instructor should say that his/her martial art is the best in the entire world. there are so many martial arts out there. everyone can find something for themselves.
    after i started training TKD, a friend of mine started training Aikido. after 2 months of training she started spitting on TKD, which surprised me a lot, because i didn't think that she is such a narrow-minded person. in those months she was probably exposed to ''brainwashing' because she kept telling that Aikido is something that can develop ur inner something, she started talking about chi (the meaning of which she couldn't exaplain to me, i asked), and she talked badly about other martial arts too. soon she quit training. she trained 2 - 3 months, after which a change was noticable. now u be the judge.....weird, i tell u.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't know, my instructor won't let me talk to other MA'ists...

Actually I know of a few around Milwaukee. There is one nearby who thinks he is the end all of instructors. If you move to his school. You start out as a whitebelt no matter where you were. And he limits the competitions his students go to because he doesn't want his "system" to show up the other instructors around. This really is funny at times. No one is quite sure where he came from, but he's been here a long time.

11. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

All I can say is my present club is very accepting of other styles. We have TKD black belt who is present on a regular basis to study stick work with us and to give back he helps us with flexibility training. We have an Aikido blackbelt who want to work on his striking skills so in exchange he teaches us controls and takedowns. I think my sensei's are very open to other styles. One of them even teaches MMA at his son's school at lunch hours. So no, not my school. No brainwashing except for the fact they brainwash us into totally believing in ourselves!

12. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

No martial art is the best. They all are good at something, its more important that the students skill level is high than what style he takes. Now that being said we all have our own ideas what can or cannot work in a fight. That plays a big part when we first pick what style to study in the first place. I do not have a lot of faith in styles that use a lot of high kicks to the head. I have never seen a student that has been taking their style for about the amount of time as me that could kick me in the head. They would end up on the ground or I would of hit them just as they were kicking or just as they landed their missed kick. Now certainly a TKD guy that has been taking his style for years more than I have, could maybe hit me but we are talking about someone with about the same level of training as myself.

13. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I don't know if that comment is sarcastic or not, so I'll bite. Actually that's exactly what I think a good instructor should do. A good and fair instructor can evaluate both the strengths and short comings of any system or school. Mine does it all the time.

"Censorship is a sign of a society's insecurities" - US Supreme Court Justice Black. That's a favorite quote of mine. As long as another school / system has earned it's respect it should be given to them. No reason to suggest that there is only one way.

We've recommended students to other schools that can better meet their needs. Other schools have recommended students to us. It's the best way to opperate.

- Matt

14. Drealoth

Drealoth New Member

lol the first few posts have more stars than I can see most nights...although, I do live near Detroit...

My old karate school was like that I found, only subtly and possibly unknowingly. It just seemed like all of the techniques were like 'This is why it's better than style x' and so on...

15. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I think it's only a sign of weakness, and a sign that they really don't know what they're teaching. Or, perhaps, they do. Only, they are aware that their style isn't the best so they limit the student's rights to explore other arts.