Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It must be more a friend to you than it is to me! :) I tend to get useless pictures, or 404 errors...

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I really need to stop posting so much...

Anyway, I did not read all of this thread, but having trained in both boxing and karate, I might as well say something on the off chance it makes sense.

There is a learning curve to fighting differently than you are used to. First times a karate person meets up with a boxer, it is usually a wake up call with the karateka getting punched in the face a lot because he/she doesn't keeps hands up and really know how to deal with the boxer. Give it a month or two of the karateka training in boxing and against boxers and it is a much more even match considering people of about equal abilities.

The boxer will initially have less problems dealing with kicks from the karateka because boxing footwork yields decent mobility and it is harder to kick a moving target than to move closer to it and punch it. Often the karateka will get a great kick in on the boxer, but if it does not stun or knock out the boxer, the boxer will recover and be able to come in with punching.

If the karateka can punch or kick with enough speed, accuracy and power to knock out the boxer or hurt the boxer very badly, then that is a different story.

The learning curve for the boxer against a karateka is a bit different, they will learn to break boxing models and actually learn to kick. The kicks may not be as well developed as kicks practiced everyday in karate, but they will be enough that the karateka has to be concerned that they may get a low kick thrown at them as a distraction, counter or part of a combination.

-------

If we are talking no holds barred, non-sport with striking to vitals and such, I would count more on the fighter with the more street experience or NHB experience to come out on top, doesn't matter if they train most of the time in boxing or karate.

3. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Yeah, I downloaded that fight from subfighter.com, although ali wasn't able to fight him inoki was unable to do anything that could really hurt Ali, hence the draw. Such a boring fight!

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

someone should tell that to the boxers i workout with. honestly, it's the first i've ever heard of such things.

the answer is no. no they do not do what you have said in your post. they spar real time. full resistance. all the time. they don't stop for points. they go all the way all the time.

in contast, unless it is kokyushinkai karate*, most karate tournaments i have been to stop for points. they do not spar full contact, full resistance.

*note: maybe ukidokan as well.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah i gotta agree, if thats the case maybe you have experience with one of those rare boxing mcdojos.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

LOL, i have never heard of boxers not fighting full contact. It pretty much comes with the territory of boxing. You take up boxing, you get hit.

Karate is very rarelly full contact, as far as ive seen.

7. Timmy Boy

Well no, we don't spar full contact all the time, but we do it, and even when we do light contact we wear gloves so that we can still make contact to the head without pulling punches (which added a whole new world of difference after I had been at TSD).

8. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Actually I've trained with two of the worlds top boxing coaches, Andreas Du plessis and Shakes Matlala, betwen the two of them they have produced over a dozen world pro and amateur champ boxers in the last decade.

Um, no. Professional coaches will rarely let their boxers go all out on each other. Boxing is an art, its not about brawling. Sure you'll tag your partner if he drops his guard, but you're not going to take his block off - there is no need to. Even pros only go flat out once in a while - they can't afford serious injuries, remember if they get accidently knocked out/concussed, commission rules bar them from fighting for a period of time - thats a loss of money for the boxer and promoter!

Generally you should only spar full contact in a few situations.
    1. when you join a gym. This is so that they can 'test your mettle', gyms aren't places for softies.
    2. To test if you're ready for compition, or if you want to test your progression.
    3. Full contact in compition - of course!

If this is the case after each training session, you're brawling, not boxing, get a decent coach. The point of boxing is not to get hurt!

90% of goju and shotokan will allow a fair bit of contact to the body, although head shots are heavy contact restricted. In all fairness, this tendsto be restricted to adult karateka.

9. Timmy Boy

To the body isn't enough, IMO. The head is a much more viable target for punching in a fight, and it's also very shocking to receive a hit there if you're not used to it.

10. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Thats true, which is why we duke it out in gloves when we're feeling brave!

Cool, sounds like you're at a good club

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Accidents do happen im afraid. you go boxing, your expected to get hit. It just so happens that I stuck my chin up and took a shot on the jaw.

If anything, i'd be somewhat sceptical about a boxing gym which didn't push, or put their boxers through alittle punishment once in a while...

Personally, i dont know which Karate school you attend, but the majority ive seen or been to, do not fit the description and training methods that you describe. Most students seem to be somewhat overweight, and very unfit.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

closest thing to reality. you have to worry about all ranges.

13. NaughtyKnight

Exactly Yuki. I have seen quite a few Karate schools, and they fought point sparing. I didnt see any real contact at all, and they got in trouble for using excesive power.

14. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Normally the heaviness of sparring is determined by the age of students. With kiddies clubs they tend to do very little other than 'point scoring' as you guys call it. Most of the older guys will turn up the heat. Don't forget we fight bare knuckle most of the time, so even with relativly light contact injuries re more likely. You can take a fairly hard blow to the ribs from a gloved hand, but bare knuckled, it can be serious.

15. The Viking

The Viking Working

Ali v.s

ok what about Ali against any karateka?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  16. NaughtyKnight

The Karateka would get owned. Period, but obviously when he was in his prime.

He took punches from the hardest punchers ever.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd put Ali ahead of any martial artist.

18. NaughtyKnight

And you would win.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

haha. Silvia. end discussion.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I know i've said this athousand times.

SILVIA. SHAMROCK. GRACIE. LIDDLE. COTURE. END GAME!!!!
    why are there so many stubborn people!?!?!?

any one of them = Ali in a body bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.