Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

lol, who really cares. If i happen to find myself in a fight with tyson I'll write you guys a letter tellin you about it, from my hospital bed :D

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

not sure if they deliver from the grave ;)

3. NaughtyKnight

lol, dun worry god will deliver it for me.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I'm pretty sure he meant most martial artists, otherwise he would have said.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you see, in a fight between any mma'er vs. tyson, it would be a 50-50 proposition. if tyson tags any of those you mentioned, it would be curtains for them. on the flipside, if they could ground the man, they could gnp or even submit him. if tyson lands on top and he got to get off a couple, it would be curtains.

specially since some of those you mentioned are way lighter than mike. weight in a fight makes a whole lot of difference. if mike accidentally tripped and pinned royce, royce would find it hard to get the leverage to get mike tyson's mass off him.

6. Timmy Boy

To be fair, didn't Royce submit Akebono?

7. shootodog

this is a first. i haven't heard of a karateka beat a boxer since the advent of the karate revolution back in the 60s.

8. shootodog

sure he did. but akebono wasn't trying to remove royce's head. hell, akebono wasn't doing much of anything.

9. Timmy Boy

Oh yeah, but I thought the point was about weight being hard to shift?

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

and he had a hell of a time shifting it, but I agree- i believe royce could handle tysons weight. Tyson is big, but for a heavyweight he isnt exactly george foreman.

11. shootodog

lol! you got me there! in general terms, it's hard to get leverage on a heavier fighter. there.

12. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Okay...

1) Boxers know how to cheat; they are told to use elbows when they can, to hit the throat/face etc, except they do it a lot more sneakily than others do. Mike tyson was a great example of this; if he swung a hook/uppercut and missed with the fist, he would carry on through with the elbow; sometimes I think he deliberately missed so that he could hit with an elbow. Headbutts are in there as well, ask yourself how many times a fight has been stopped because of a 'stray' headbutt?

2) Yuki Im loving the post it note comment - its always the fighter unless you train at a bad club.

3) For anyone who talks about taking Tyson...the man was an animal - literally. He was one of the hardest hitters in boxing ever, (that alone should make him scary.) He also head butted and bit his opponents purposefully in the ring. As for 'streetfighting', the reason he took up boxing was because he kept on mauling people 'on the street' as it were. His aggression alone in the ring put most seasoned of fighters off fighting him. As his peak, I don't know many who would have taken him - a great example showing that aggression and balls really does make a top fighter.

13. NaughtyKnight

Last time I heard using your elbows in a sneaky way isnt cheating. Unless your talking about a Boxing ring fight of course.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you know i bet soon enough some time with in the next few years. we,ll see that fight, or one similar. cause dana white already put up 5 milllon dollars that the winner of the Ultimate fighter would beat the winner of the contender. so once that goes down it'll spawn lots of conversation and sooner or later. its bound to happen. maybe not mike and the afore mentioned but certainly two big names.

15. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Tyson is not invincible, he has been knocked out by people before. Just because he is a hard puncher, it doesn't mean he can beat everybody. As for karate vs boxing, if they are both good at what they do, and are fighting under mma rules, or no rules, I'd put my money on the karateka everytime. The whole, "if the boxer got inside past the kicks" argument is bull aswell, because I learn to fight from all ranges, and so does anyone else who does good karate. A good karate fighter should be able to do everything a boxer can do, plus a hell of a lot more.

16. Timmy Boy

A boxer will probably be far, far better within the punching range than a karateka of even size and build. Besides, we are talking about what to expect from most karateka, not just the really good ones like kyokushinkai.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  17. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

:cry: ....and goju? :cry:

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Who only Kyokushinkai?

If memory serves the founder of Kyokushin trained in both Shotokan and Goju Ryu, and apart from the full contact sparring not much was altered.

19. Timmy Boy

I didn't say only kyokushinkai.

20. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Martial artists in general tend to discount boxing automatically because of the limited tools that boxing employs. Just because you can throw elbows, knees, head kicks, etc. doesn't mean you will get the chance to use them, especially against a boxer of Tyson's caliber.

You had better be able to take Tyson out with one strike, because that is all you will get. Good luck. Even a past-prime Tyson today won't be KO'ed with a single strike. Tyson's footwork would negate kicking range in short order, and then you are fighting on the inside. Hope you are comfortable there, because you will stay there until Tyson decides what he wants to do with you. I would predict about 2.3 seconds.

It's fun to dream, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.