Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

very well

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Surely that's the whole point of sparring? :) Improving on the things that you can't do?

3. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

That's the perfect answer to everybody who's bickering over which arts better than the other.Well said :)

btw i used to box when i was 18 and i now do tkd but both arts have helped me in their own ways.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  4. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

sweet
    now, when you guys meet, there better not be any of this "talking" crap, you had better take your stances and have a no holds barred martial arts showdown!

:cool:

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

WAAAAAAAAATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I challange you to a duel. :D

6. NaughtyKnight

Thats because they are one of the best combinations. The best kicking art coupled together with the best kicking art. Imagine abit of BJJ in there, now that is a well rounded fighter. :)

7. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

why bjj why not jjj

8. NaughtyKnight

I dont know man. Cause the only grapling art I know is BJJ.

9. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

fair enough

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i totally agree with you, i hear all these people talking about BJJ {which i want to eventually do} but i'd test my JJJ skills any day.

11. Black Thistle

Black Thistle New Member

A top BJJ'er Tysons weight would clearly have a good chance of defeating him. Anyone else would stand little chance. Any Sensei that says otherwise, why not just go down to their local boxing club and set a match up with their top local fighter. Dop that before even thinking of Tyson?

I've always thought the likes of TARVER with a good sprawl would demolish alot of MMA'ers.

The short note is: of course, it depends on the fighter not the art they are practising. Would it be because that someone is a 2nd Dan in Karate or the fact that he's just a tough S.O.B anyway? Would it be because that someone is black belt TKD or the fact that he's just a hard guy that would excel in any contact sport? Yes, you can learn a sport to make you much better in fine tuning your skills/raw talent but it totally depends on the person. I know one or two guys that would leave a trail of bodies behind after walking out of alot of Dojo's...why?....because they're tough, end of story.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok i see what you are saying, but replace "good chance" with
    Slaughter. why do you say that anyone else stands little chance, what about the top MMA fighters, belfort, liddle, couture. they'd kill tyson any
    day. but i'm not gonna dive too much into this as i've already had many heated discussions over it and reitterated my point athousand times.

13. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I think Tyson would muller most martial artists.

Boxing would work against a karate practioner and against most martial arts because it excel's at one thing and its the best out there at it. A major part of self defence.

Throwing and taking a punch. If a boxer gets in close then its move to gappling as if you stay on his game its lights out in most cases.

Very simple and effective. After many years training my 65 year old father is still faster with his hands than I am and his defence is pretty good.

Boxing is top notch

14. Black Thistle

Black Thistle New Member

The reason I say "good chance" and not slaughter is because of variables. All it would take for a MA is to shoot in on Tyson with sloppy technique and get KO'd. There's also the psychological part of things. Don't tell me any MA in the world wouldn't be very nervous about facing him. This could easily lead to poor performance and again, defeat. Tyson would have little trouble in
    psyching out most fighters.

About Liddel, belfort and couture. Well, Liddel is basically a striker at LHW albeit a very good fighter. Whats his game plan gainst Tyson? take it to the ground? If Liddel trades hes finished. He may well use his leg kicks to his advantage.

Belfort? man, he would have his hands full. He'd better cling on for dear life and utilise some of his BJJ otherwise hes ended.

Couture, well thats an easy one, he would be clinging on for dear life and go for the usual boring GnP.

Don't get me wrong here, I would take a top MMA 'er to take Tyson no problems because Tyson is not what he once was. He seems to gas quicker also due to his huge size but all things being considered, especially Tyson in his prime. I would've taken him against nearly all.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Think about this for a minute. Say you were in serious trouble and about to be attcked by 4 or 5 guys. Who do you want there...Rickson Gracie or Mike Tyson??

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the master of lay n pray or a crazy pro boxer who is an ex con? the choice is so hard :D

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

reguarding Liddle=one good shot to the leg and tyson would be either out or in very bad shpae, than HE would be the one being phsyked out.

Belfort=if he got hit more than a few times hes dead, but if he got tyson down {which he could very easily do} then tysons in a body bag.

as for Couture=you say the "usual" ground and pound as if it wouldn't work? are we trying to entertain, or fight? GNP would be the end of tyson, especially when its someone like Couture who is very good at it. now i do agree with you, if distance couldn't be maintaned and range dictated, then yes, in striking, they would probably get slaughtered, but seeing as how thats what they do {distance and range} i see no real threat in mike

FOOD FOR THOUGHT= you know thats a tough one, but not a fair one.
    if it was gracie or tyson, i don't know, but that dosen't seem fair because of the fact that he is a GNP type fighter. now if it were between tyson and a well versed fighter like Liddle, or shamrock ect. then i'd go with Liddle easily.

if it was against one guy, {whom for the sake of argument, i stood no chance against} then i'd go with gracie.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT {for you} :D = i wasn't reffering to MAers in general, i mean if we're gonna do that, then we could include TKD and wushu, so thats a no no. i was reffering to MMAers, the best of the best.

if Tyson ever fought Shamrock under MMA rules, you can't honestly tell me that you'd put any money on Tyson, can you?

on a similar note. A few months back, tyson made a comment about being the greatest fighter in the world, and one of the reporters stood up and said "if thats true, then would you consider a bout in the UFC?" to which he replied "No, i don't think so. Those guys are on a whole nother level from boxers, as well, MMA is not something i'm acostumed to."

he knows his place.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i beg to disagree...rickson is not a lay and pray kinda guy.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

my bad, i thought he said royce. rickson or tyson... that is a tough one. I think my first move would be to stop hanging around at an old folks home :D

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I'd bet on Garcie. Two top-of-the-line fighters, equally skilled and dangerous, I'll probably always bet in the grappler.

20. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I dunno... Tyson wasn't merely just a boxer... He could probably streetfight. Either way, if Gracie dodge Tyson's hammer shots and got him to the ground, he'd still have a helluva time trying to fend off Tyson's brute power. Still, if Gracie can get it to the ground, Tyson's in for a hard fight, and I would put my money on Gracie. If Liddell fought Tyson, I would have to see it. I don't know if Tyson can eat a leg kick from Liddell, so that's what it boils down to. If Tyson can eat Liddell's leg kick, then I hope Liddell was a track star in high school, because he's going to need to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.