Boxing- Without the Gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by notquitedead, Aug 6, 2004.

1. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Not sure if this has been covered before, but oh well.

When I do boxing/kickboxing with normal 16oz boxing gloves, I find it easy to use the gloves as a shield. I've seen it in a lot of boxing matches too (I'm more of a MMA fan, so I find boxing's rules boring to watch some times, but doing it is fun). One fighter will just hold his gloves over his face and let the other guy wear himself out.

I found that training with NHB gloves but still doing boxing rules (and sometimes with takedowns) is a LOT different. You can't just hold your hands in front of your face anymore. This is more specific to my goal (competing in MMA) so that's why I do it, but what do you guys think about training that way for actual boxing matches? I think it could help improve reflexes.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

for sure. wearing big gloves lets you get away with certain things that otherwise wouldnt work. I try to wear big 16oz gloves as little as possible because of this. covering up however is still a very effective form of defense, but you cant really "ride" punches using it in either a real fight or a MMA match. as for training to do it for a boxing match, theres really no point. training up for a boxing fight you want to emulate what will be happening as closely as possible, so that means using the same equipment.

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think your description of boxing defense is pretty simplistic to say the least. There's a lot more to it than covering you head up with a big pair of gloves. A good boxer will be able to angle through a guard with the various punches at their disposal.

If you covered up by simply holding your gloves at your head to defend a combo of say Jab-cross-hook-uppercut then I am pretty sure you would get hit by at least one shot.

Then you have body shots that need to be defended, do you think that by simply holding your gloves at your head you will stop a good volley of body shots. :rolleyes: Look at a boxer like Ricky Hatton (UK) as he famous for finshing fights with punches to the floating rib.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

a bit simplified yes but lets be honest, a boxing guard is a lot more effective when you are wearing boxing gloves. I know- I do thai boxing and we use these gloves, and there is a big difference between big sparring 16oz gloves and smaller bag gloves when it comes to defense.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

This is one of the reasons why SBGi use the crazy monkey defense system.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Ikken, My last post was in response to Pankrations, I didnt really make that clear though. :confused:

I know what you mean about gloves making it easier to cover up but a good boxing guard can be employed outwith the ring with no gloves.

IMO the big difference is that you can keep your hands lower with big gloves on and take the blows on your hands. Without gloves you have to have your hands higher and take the shots on your forearms.

Adam, What's SBGi and crazy monkey defense?? (SBGi sounds familiar put I can't place it).

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Lets not forget that these big boxing gloves can also inhibit your striking ability because of the size of them. How many times have you seen ways through your training partners guard but knew the glove wouldn't fit :D

Here ya go Johndoch, an older thread which was about crazy monkey boxing, might be useful to take a look at. The video link unfortunatly doesn't work anymore through.

Crazy Monkey Boxing Thread

But here we go, we've got a video here of Karl Tanswell (SBG instructor) doing a STAB seminar. Karn Tanswell @ Stab seminar - 7.68Mb

Id recommend taking a look at the SBG website which is based at: http://www.straightblastgym.com

Hope this helps!

8. Ad McG

The video does actually work, I'm downloading now :D Supposed to be a great course.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Doesn't work for me! :) Ah well people, Adam says it works so give it a shot, ya got nothing to lose. It's a very good video. :)

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

LOL thanks guys.

I cant get either of the links to work. (Works computer :rolleyes: )

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Well when you get home, be sure to check the video out ;)

SBG believe in training in aliveness against a resisting opponent which is very good. Read the site for more about it all ;)

12. Ad McG

It definitely works, I watched it! Seems cool, I've heard a lot of good things about this program. Loved it when that guy near the end was trying to knee him and kept getting slapped, then the knife guy fell and he ran away! haha

13. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I'm not an expert on boxing, and I know hooks would go around it, but I still think I have somewhat of a point. :p

A couple months back I went to a show that had quite a few boxing matches, a kickboxing match, and then four MMA matches. In the heavyweight boxing match, one guy just leaned on the ropes and the other guy just sat there and hit his gloves. There wasn't really a point hitting the guy in the stomach, he was a heavyweight (had lots of fat). Since the gloves are so big, instead of keeping them right over your face, you can hold them so that there just isn't enough room for a punch to slip between them (because the opponent is wearing gloves as well) and part of your gloves covers your temple. That means that there isn't much of a chance of getting knocked out, and the heavyweight's huge belly made body shots almost ineffective. I'm sure he had hard abs under that, too. :rolleyes:

Anyways, doing regular boxing but with NHB gloves makes you rely more on movement and combos, you don't get much time to relax while covered up.

And yes, covering up is a good thing for defense, but with the 16oz gloves you can cover up in the way I mentioned above (they can't punch between your gloves and your temple and chin are protected), while with the smaller gloves you have to cover up differently and keep moving your hands to cover from different strikes.

14. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Before Gloves!

Hi Pankration90

This is supposed to be the reason for a long armed guard in old fashioned pugilism, with no gloves for protection this guard kept the opponent away, the old boxers hit mainly with the vertical fist (as in wing chun) which seemed to reduce injury to the uncovered knuckles.

Louie