Boxing Training Questions (Padwork)

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Yohan, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ok so if I'm working someone on the pads and I throw a straight at them. Let's call it a jab. I want them to slip the straight to the outside and throw a straight left to the body or the head. How do I hold the pad? The best thing I can come up with is to throw the straight with the left hand pad, hold the right pad upside down with the elbow high. Maybe I should just wear the chest protector? Should I just pull the left hand back to catch the punch? I don't think I have enough time for that.

2. Yohan

Also, how many of you do this kind of boxing training during your sessions?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQItjmMO-5M"]REAL boxing pad work - YouTube[/ame]

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I may be misunderstanding you or maybe its not a shot I normally use all that much.

If you throw the jab with the mits... the boxer slips to the outside and comes up the middle with his left. Nose/chin/solar plexus/gut.. to catch that with the mitt there are several ways...

At nose/chin I just hold the right handed pad up with a bit of resistance... not letting its snap back and catch me in the face... with my palm out... facing towards the incoming punch.

At solar plexus/gut level I hold the right handed ad with my palm facing me. The boxer is tapping the back of your hand. This might seem a bit risky as you essentially have no padding on your hand and it's small little bones. But the point is that on the pads they should be going for smooth technique... timing and snap... not power. Power is for the bags primarily... so your man has to be able to think while he's punching. Not just throwing monster bombs.

I will often get a low jab - high jab combo the same way. Catch the high-jab to face with palm out... but the jab at solar-plexus level is with palm facing me and he taps the back of hand. That solar-plexus tap is the set up shot so it wouldn't be a power shot anyhow... it just taps to get your man to lower his guard and you go back up top.

low
    high
    low

or

low
    low
    high

or

low
    low
    low
    high
    low
    high-right cross

Hope that helps and not confuses. Sheesh I should put some of this stuff on vid and post it. Mayweathers uncle does some good pad holding in a clip that is out there.... let me see if I can find it.

4. slipthejab

Yes, quality pad work. I much prefer that to time on the bags.

The older guy coaches the jab and then come over with the right hand. Clean and tight. That is quality!

The drill he does at 30 sec in to the clip where he has the guy throw the right upper cut from slipped jab is a great shot. Not many guys get that.
    I rarely if ever see anyone working that but it's brilliant because your opponent bicep with hinder his vision of your incoming uppercut from the outside.
    Slick slick slick!

The combo he throws after that is the type that lands. Niiiice.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Yohan

I'm putting together some ideas to help improve the quality of my padwork. I'm basing my ideas off these padwork clips I'm finding on youtube. We do some quality stuff at the gym, but most of it is static, hit the pads style padwork. I want to work in some more of these blocks and counters into my padwork. I've put together some ideas from the videos and from the padwork in class.

The first idea I've gotten recently is that I should use the left and the right pads for the jab and the cross agnostically - so catch the jab or the cross on the left pad, or the jab and the cross n the right pad. That will make my fighters returns simpler to work out.

My second idea is from the clip I posted earlier. I'm gonna throw my straights like he throws the pad jab in that video. That same drill you refer to where he throws the uppercut off the slipped jab. I'll press the pad forward then clap down when I get to the fighters head - if he slips it should pat the fighters shoulder when I connect.

My third idea is from my balintawak class, which I've seen variations of in this video. It's the pad hook. I'll stick the pad straight out to the left or the right of the fighters head to get the reaction. When they duck I'll hook through. Alternatively, they'll drop their elbow to protect their body from the low hook.

Another idea I'd like to investigate and possibly utilize is the roger mayweather padwork style. He does this continuous padwork style. Seems like he keeps his fighters in real close and shorts up their punches though. You can't argue with success.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGuz6UapXE&feature=related"]Uncle Mayweather Training The Filipino Kidd (LuDan) - YouTube[/ame]

6. Yohan

After my experience, it seems like this kind of training is what makes or breaks fighters.

Tell me something slip. In this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQItjmMO-5M"]REAL boxing pad work - YouTube[/ame]

Look around 2:25. The old guy starts throwing in some some jabs, but throws them different from the "slip" jab he throws earlier in the clip. They are coming in from down low instead of up high, and his fighter is patting them down instead of slipping them. Is the old guy throwing those jabs different because he wants a different reaction from his fighter?

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Good posts by slip.

As far as the second video, in any good quality boxing gym you can expect to get to that level of padwork. The more stationary padwork is for beginners, but once they get moving around and tossing shots back at you it's a whole different story.

8. slipthejab

Interesting... ok after giving it a watch several times. It's hard to tell... they don't look like jabs so much as he's throwing the mitts to have his man land the shot. Some guys do pad work like this a bit sloppier and they have a really slappy style. I'm not sure one is better than the other. In general I don't do this. I hold the pad and the fighter has to hit it and find the distance and timing. I will often drop the pad and roll the shoulder... meaning that the shot is only there for an instant... just like in real life. That window of opportunity is only there for an instant. If you snooze you loose.

Great drill that. Count everytime your man hits you on the shoulder instead of catching the pad... and each one is 6 chins or 20 press ups. Drive em to stay fluid and keep the timing. Obviously you roll the shoulder as it gives them something to hit still so no joint snap, it protects your face chin... and its a good way to mix in more conditioning for you people.

Another thought on that same section of the clip... a lot of time I will throw a shot and I want the guy to catch it. So if I'm the boxer here's the drill

1) square up

2) pad holder - orthodox stance - throws jab

3) I catch it..(as opposed to slipping it.. rolling it... leaning back or parrying it) with my right - palm of mitt on the incoming shot

4) Immediately counter with your jab - pad holder catches with his right pad

------

I will respond a bit more in regards to working in more stuff into your training as I free up a bit after my sessions tonight.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010