boxing training for jkd

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Black&Blue, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new around here and I've got a question for you jkd guys. Do any of you do any formal western boxing training along with your jkd training? I have been training in jkd for about 18 months but due to my work schedule I can only attend class once a week on Saturdays. There is a boxing gym close to where I work and I could train there during the week before work. Since western boxing techniques are apart of jkd I think it would be beneficial to me. Also, so much of the material covered in my jkd training is heavy on the wing chun and trapping stuff and not enough boxing/kickboxong. What do you guys think?

2. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

honestly i recommend boxing training to any martial artist looking to make themselves better as a striker boxing even though ive heard some say they feel like the punches are overcommited but no one can deny the footwork, angles, head movement is great for any striker so i would say boxing training will def benefit you

3. Black&Blue

Black&Blue New Member

Thanks for the reply. What really interests me with the boxing is the defense techniques, head movment, and footwork. Also, I think it would be good to actually get more sparring in. I feel there too many drills and not enough actual sparring in my jkd training. I tried talking to my jkd instructor about the boxing training and he sort of seemed offended about me training at another school.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You should absolutely go boxing :)

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Definitely explore boxing. Stuff your instructor, you need to take charge of your own development. Any JKD instructor who doesn't encourage cross training is aa living oxymoron to me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

The only thing I would say is that adding boxing to your JKD will be different than just boxing.

My old training partner studied JKD and sent a video of him doing light MMA sparring on the ground (jits with hits). His JKD teacher commented that it was good, but he said the sparring strategies should reflect a "real world" situation more. For example, my training buddy was lying in guard trying to strike his opponent in order to help pass his guard and get to side or full mount. The JKD teacher said his goal should be to escape his opponents guard and get to his feet as soon as possible, not to pass and try and submit him.

So combat sport training is excellent, but figure out how you could use it to meet your goals. If your goals are doing boxing for self defense, figure out how you can tweak boxing sparring to reflect your goals. Of course that would be after you build up proficiency in boxing first!

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Your trainer should not be offended in the least by this - boxing is one of the "core three" in JKD, so it absolutely makes sense to train in it elsewhere, especially with schedule conflicts

Where do you train at?

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

ditto above.

When learning and combining two arts I find it best to keep the two separate in your head at first. If you try to do a fusion of two arts straight away you may end up doing neither art well. Give it some time so that you begin to see where the principles and practices of the arts overlap and where they are different. Then consciously experiment to see how you can blend the two.

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue New Member

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it. I guess my biggest concern with the boxing training and what someone mentioned was that jkd boxing is different fron regulag boxing. I know boxing is apart of jkd but I wasn't sure if all of it applied or only some parts. As far as ditching my instructor and school...I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. I actually have two instructors and I like the apprentice instructor but not the owner/head instructor. He's a hot head seems to be irritated and ****ed off a lot. Plus I feel like I'm sort of getting ripped off for what I'm paying for only 45-60 min of training per week. I would post the name of the school but I'm not sure if other members of my school post here and I don't want to start and problems. I just wish we covered more of the boxing and kickboxing and less trapping.

10. Knee Rider

I would suggest just popping down to a few boxing sessions on the sly and see what you think.

It sounds like you don't fully enjoy your training... You know what Bruce said about selecting what works for you and throwing out what doesn't.

Could be time to shop about.

11. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Most martialists should learn Boxing.

12. Black&Blue

Black&Blue New Member

I think I am going to experiment with the boxing and see what happen. I think or is fair to say that I don't fully enjoy my training. I never intended on training in jkd I was more interested in kickboxing, empty hand filipino stuff and silat which my teacher incorporates into the jkd but not as a stand alone program. Where i live there arent too many schools that offer programs that I'm interested in. Also, my work schedule limits me to when and where I train. I do enjoy jkd as long as there is a variety to it. But all to often it's a lot of trapping.

13. Hannibal

Where do you live? chances are something can be found that suits you

14. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I would definetly approach it initially with a mindset that you are going to learn boxing as a seperate discipline first rather than immediatly blending it in with what you already know. I started boxing with a long fencing background behind me and I thought I could use many of the same principles ( I even read up on JKD thinking I could immediatly adopt many of the same techniques - boy was I wrong), but the body structure is very different, so I learnt to box normally and I think I was better for it, though initially it played havoc with my ingrained fencing footwork (and for that matter Taijiquan).

A big question is if you are going to box with your power side forward like in JKD. I certainly box unorthodox even though I'm right handed - my fencing background was too ingrained. It will mean you may have to work much harder in making your non-dominant hand develop decent power. Or at least thats what I found.

15. Knee Rider

Is that dominate hand forward principle practiced in all JKD or just in Jun fan JKD schools?

16. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Not sure. Most JKD guys I've met have their dominant side forward to make use of the straight lead, but I guess this would be a Original JKD (i.e Ted wong)rather than a concepts ( Dan Inosanto) approach. The concepts branch is I believe heavily influenced from Kali/eskrima so perhaps it follows their body structure. I'm guessing here.

17. Hannibal

To a greater or lesser degree it is all schools

The theory is that right lead is the stronger hand and by putting it forward you can maximize the power...of course that is supposing that you hot harder with the right: personally My left is significantly stronger at lead punching, however my right leg is better than my left so I take the trade and offer a right lead usually.

Most quality JKD schools know how to switch hit - dogmatic adherence to a right lead is not a sign of a good school or even of preserving "Original" JKD because Bruce allowed Leo Fong and many others to use the left lead

18. Black&Blue

Black&Blue New Member

Thank you all for all of you advice. I live in western pa about an hour from pittsburgh. For a larger city you would think there would more to offer martial arts wise but there isnt. I doesn't help I work evenings and nights because it makes training difficult for me. I did find a silat school that sounds interesting but its a bit of a drive. I don't want to give up on jkd though
    because I have a lot of time and money in it. I do like it but I wish my instructors would chill on the trapping a bit on work more joint locks and the kickboxing aspect of jkd.

19. trowjkd

trowjkd New Member

Most coordinated side at the front,not always strongest. most folk are right handed so thats why you see a lot right side up. but if you were a lefty then you would be left side up. But both leads should be practised in jkd.

20. Hannibal

Its a dated idea in many respects and was really around 3 things - in order of importance

1)power
    2)skill
    3)surprise

3 is redundant these days with kickboxing and MMA producing masses of southpaw stances. 2 is debatable because it is a learned skill anyway (and as my ledt is better than my right this would confirm that theory) which leaves us 1....and the difference in power is miniscule

If the right lead is tactically correct - and as I alluded I have a better right leg - then it makes sense. However it smacks of dogmatism when you hear people preach the virtues of the right lead