Boxing to kickboxing and vice versa

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kickboxingidiot, Dec 26, 2005.

1. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Do you know anyone who went from boxing to kickboxing? OR Kickboxing to Boxing (Pele Reid, Graham McGrath, Roy Rutherford,The Klitschkos from ukraine...etc)

How did they do?
    Which is harder/easier?
    Who does both?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I do both - or at least similar.. Muay Thai and Boxing.

I started out in Muay Thai and when I found it difficult to get regular fights in my weight class I took boxing matches instead if I could get them.

At first I found it tough just because I hated wearing boxing shoes. I also found it tough to land punches because boxers were much more mobile up top than were Muay Thai fighters.

The guard overall was tighter and of course clinching is not allowed. That took me the longest to get used to.

On the other hand I found that only focusing on punching that my lungs were lasting longer. I wasn't burning through the same amount of energy that I was in Muay Thai.

I still do both though it's been a while since I had a boxing match. I find that the boxing is a great compliment to the Muay Thai.

Anyhow.. for what it's worth.

3. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

now slipthejab,...
    why dotn you fight KB as well?
    then you have an in between boxing and MT?

4. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Pele Reid was a freestylist ( half Decent ) who thought that being part of MASA Black Dragon's made him cool!!!!!!!!! he deluded himself into thinking he could move over to boxing ( how wrong he was ) :cool:

I moved from boxing to karate because I was unable to pass the medical due to eye problems I did boxing for years and spared with some good boxers.

I then moved from traditional karate in the early 80's to freestyle and over to kickboxing in the 90's.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no offense kickboxingidiot but why are you always trying to push FC kickboxing? its a dying sport, people simply dont care about it anymore. i stumbled across ONE school where i live (biggest city in NZ) and i have never even heard about any FC events, while muay thai and boxing events are held pretty much every weekend.

lots of guys from our gym compete in both boxing and muay thai. we do a lot of work on boxing, since our coach also coaches the tongan boxing squad, and is an ex boxer himself. as for recognisable faces, Albert Kraus I believe is also a pro boxer, so is Jerome Lebanner. a lot of thais cross over to boxing for the money.

6. seyah

seyah Valued Member

There are a lot of FC shows In the UK but I must admit it is easier to get fights for points fighters and light con than it is for Full Con.

7. But the K is where it pretty much ends. Boxing, l-con, points, MT are all big in other countries (although l-con is mainly Europe). FC doesn't really extend past our little island, which is sad but understandable.

8. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i've been thinking of switching to kickboxing from boxing.... i love the boxing training but i'd love to improve my kicking stamina for my TKD :)

9. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Hey guys.
    First I would like to say that being a striker whome practises yawyan and mauy thai that it really is inevitable for a striker not to turn to boxing"boxing" to better their game.

I noticed months ago that my hands needed more work, so I searched until I found a great coach.He basically showed me how different the stance and the blocks where from mt to boxing.

He basically turned me into a jabbing counter boxer. He showed me how to properly work the v, how to pay attention to my stance and foot work. How to perry using only one mit and then counter with that same hand. How to really bop and weave.

But unfortunatelly not everything I was taught could be translated to mt or yawyan.
    When boxing the boxer is so much more sided to use the reach and take away the target area from his opponent. This opens the fighter to way to many leg kicks and the fighter cant react fast enough to counter with the legs, thus the fighter is cut down from below.Another is to effectivly bop and weave without exposing the face to a kick or knee. This takes alot of time and practice.

Another thing boxers tend to do is really fucos on their hand -eye co-ordination and speed. Something mt practitioners very rarly do.

Try doing 3 4 min rounds on a double end bag and each round hitting the bag a minimum of 120 times. This is all done with 16 oz gloves of course. Boy what a work out.And not just jab and straight I mean hooks and uppercuts ,and modified hooks and so on.

By really focusing on my hands and upper body ,I was able to really utilize my kicks to chop my opponents down. Nothing like throwing punches nonstop to then sweep your opponent. But again they are different machines , the good thing though is if you really spung it all in , boxing can help your striking game worlds over.

10. seyah

seyah Valued Member

I had a couple of students down at the FSK's doing the Light con there game plan was to keep pushing forwards with front kicks side kicks and work of the jab as these are techniques which go straight through the oponents gaurds Every single oponant had difficulty with my lot as my lot where using a full contact game plan with light con rules. All my lot where having their first time out but for one who got a second place and should get on the England squad at this weekends WKA's.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Boxing is really kickass. . .. I've been doing mostly boxing at my MMA gym, and it has helped me alot with my kung fu as well.

Of course there's the trouble of integrating the two, which is the stage I'm currently still at (but almost have it down).

Still, boxing teaches you to hit - HARD.

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Boxing= the ultimate standup in my opinion. Coupled together with MT and you are unstopable.

No one can match a boxer when it comes to punching, its their bread and butter. With the devastating low kicks, knees and elbows from muay thai, aswell as the clinch, you are one bad SOB. :D

Edit.

On the note of changing between styles. Its gonna be a shellshocker either way. Dealing with the clinch and kicks after dealing with purely punching is going to take some hard training. I'd say train both.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  13. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Aleksander Povetkin, the 2004 heavyweight olympic gold medalist was also a kickboxer

The biggest barrier to entry by boxers into kickboxing is that they have to change their entrances because of kicks. It's not the most difficult thing to overcome in the switch, but it's the most important. A boxer with little clinch or kick or knee skills can still be very successful on just punching ability alone, but until he learns how to approach his opponent while dealing with the possibility of kicks that can reach a significant distance further than punches, he'll fail everytime.

14. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Spot On!!!!

I have a student who joind me some time ago who came from boxing his punching skills are excellent but he aint doing to well at competition
    ( kickboxing ) because he thinks he's still a boxer in his mind set.

He has had so many injuries since joining me i'm supprised he's still with us :) :) Whilst he tries to throw kicks, he is trying to be flamboyant at comps rather than keeping to basics.

Trying to change his fighting approach has me doing this :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: I am just waiting for the penny to drop with him and he realises that he needs to start listening.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Just give him a big prep talk.

"Do you want to be a [censored] fighter, or do you want to dance around and get the [censored] beaten out of you? Do you want to [censored] win, or lose like a [censored] [censored]"

:D

16. seyah

seyah Valued Member

I'm trying to get past his mind set at the moment :) And the fact he is getting hurt I hope will help with that.

17. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

I am an advanced Level yawyan student from Universal mma, So I help my teacher/master/coach teach the classes that way he can go around and give one on one instruction while I run the drills.

The one thing we always encounter is teaching someone how to square their stance yet keep a solid gaurd where you can check everything. I mean the tsance and gaurd we use is ment to stop boxers/kickboxers/grapplers from overly dominating. Its a great compromise for the entire game so to speak.

The thing is the students always tend to flop on their foot work ,which leaves them open to being hit or a takedown during drills.

So the trick I came up with to keep the guys 75% of the time in proper gaurd is to focus on their front kicks. You cant land a proper snap/heel thrust if your stance isnt square,So I make them snap then lead in with two jabs then a reverse,then slightly faint to the side while throwing a modified hook only to finish off with a reverse snap kick.

Try it and see what I mean.

This perticulare combo works great because we drill it over and over so when sparring most of the time the guys fall back on trying to excecute the full combo. If they do ,amazing if they dont they at least where able to maintane constant gaurd and land a few good hits.

Again this is one way I personally forced myself and my partners to keep our stance and gaurd in check, I hope this helps your guy out,and every one else for that matter.

P.s you dont think having a square gaurd is good? try and check a yawyan round house kick or a mauythai swing kick to the lower thigh while being sided. ;)

18. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom New Member

I strted out with kickboxing, then eventually started going to a local boxing gym to work on my hands. I found that kickboxers tend to be much weaker with their hands and soemtimes try to compensate for it by depending much more on the legs to get them out of trouble. It helped alot to train in western boxing. One thing I needed to learn was to shorten my stance. Kickboxers tend to have a wider stance them western boxers at least from what i have seen.

19. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

wouldnt it be the other way around? kickboxers need shorter stances to block low kicks with there legs while still maintaining balance, boxers need a wider stance to get more power and balance while punching

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yer... what kind of kickboxing were you originally doing?