Boxing spar Critique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stuart Gilham, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

Getting back into it after some time off.

Any feedback is welcome.

axelb and Grond like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hey man, welcome to MAP! Well done for getting back to boxing. Which one are you, the shirt or the vest?

Grond likes this.
  3. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

Oh yeah sorry I am the blue shorts guy who stays on for both rounds.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can't help much with feedback, there's far better qualified folk on here. But just to say welcome to MAP, and props for sharing a video. Its always awesome to see people sharing.

edit: Although one thing, which is the easiest to notice but one of the hardest to learn, is you raise your chin when you throw and it got you caught with counters a lot. A tucked chin and a higher guard (although I'm not used to boxing stances, so take that for what you will) and at least a few of those counters wouldn't have landed, or would have skimmed a shoulder.

Again, not a boxing background, but lower chin, higher hands, and arms more tucked are my first thoughts. It's not so bad while you're standing, but its noticeable when you throw.

I thought you looked good though. There were definitely positives in there as well. You circle out when you're getting hit a good amount for one.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Stuart Gilham and Grond like this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Good video. You have what I call a loose guard. A loose guard at the start means a very loosey goosey guard by the next round and beyond. Protect yourself at all times is the boxing manifesto, that takes priority over landing any one strike, and it applies to sparring. Sparring isn't about clawing at another guy, it's about exercising all your offensive and defensive techniques, but particularly the latter. So when sparring practicing the proper guard is the best use of your time, in my opinion. To me, boxing the art of protecting my face.

There's a tendency to paw at the other guy, but resist that. A good opponent will detect your pawing. Keep at least one hand stuck to your face (if you're ortho this is your right hand on your right cheek), and the other is your jabber. The Jab is just a poke, like seeing where the hole in the other guy's defense is. Based on your video, you'd get jabbed to death because you keep leaving a big hole in your guard with your face peeking out.

From a personal perspective, my least favorite feeling in the world is trying to guard my face from punches because my arms are tired because I left them extended and didn't maintain a tighter, more structurally defensive boxing guard.

Here's a good example

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Stuart Gilham likes this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

On a second viewing, you ARE orthodox and your opponent is a southpaw. SO, you're even more vulnerable to getting knocked out with a loose guard. Rocky 101. :D

7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

"Mickey:
    Left handed fighters they're the worst. They try to come in there with that big left. Right's no damn good. They ought to outlaw southpaws!

Rocky Balboa:
    Why didn't you tell me that before?

Mickey:
    I didn't want to hurt your feelings."

Stuart Gilham likes this.