Boxing or Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Banpen Fugyo, May 12, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

In case nobody knows me too well (I havent been very active on MAP recently) I'll throw in some background:

Took TKD for years and years as a kid, got 2nd degree
    Switched to Wing Chun/Muay Thai for around 6 years
    Took Ninpo (Japanese Jujutsu) for... 7? 6?
    And throughout most of the past 10 years Ive been boxing on and off with my friend whose brother was a champ in the Army.

Im having trouble trying to figure out if I should rejoin my local MA gym to take classes again for 100% more money than when I used to go, or if I should continue training on my own or what...

Muay Thai

Pros:
    -Lots of hot girls in the classes
    -Have experience at this gym and with this MA
    -More "practical" for self defense
    -Group training
    -Love the workout

Cons:
    -Kinda feels more like a cardio aerobic workout with so many moms around
    -Ive done it all before
    -Its def gonna be about $100 a month

Boxing

Pros:
    -Ive really become interested in boxing recently for some reason
    -Lots of solo work
    -More precision and attention to detail (Im a technique whore)
    -More one vs one training
    -Can probably talk them down to $50 a month

Cons:
    -Mostly amateur/professional fighters but Im not looking to compete
    -Not as practical for self defense
    -I can do almost everything at the gym at my house for free (save a trainer correcting my mistakes)
    -No hot girls, just ugly mangled dudes

Anyways, Im sure I'll get like 2 replies to this but writing all of it down kinda helped me out regardless. :p

Thanks for those that do, though.

PS:

Here is the gym:

http://www.combatsportscenter.com/

When I went there Amir Sadollah just started training too, haha

I think he made it a little further than me though. :woo::woo::woo:

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I think looking at the above you already made your mind up, and maybe want us to point you in the direction your already thinking?

Id personally say go down the boxing route, if your worried about the SD aspect id work on some fence etc but youd have all the timing for a well struck punch sorted anyway! ;) at least you can carry on any aspect you missed at home, get a mirror and shadow box the night away

I'm also at this cross roads, I'm taking a few weeks to visit a few different classes and see what I want to do although I'll end up going down the boxing road I think to keep me in shape and my foot work sucks of late! and for £2 ($4) a week I can't argue

3. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

If you're not getting jumped every day then it's probably more important that you just go to the class you enjoy more.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Truth!

Find something you like and stick with it. I saw the gym you linked to has BJJ as well. Why not take a look at that? Great work out, good for self defense and there is no requirement that you compete. Its most likely going to be way different than the Japanese JuJutsu you had been training.

***** sounds of Darth Vader breathing , James Earl Jones begins to spear:

Come over to the dark side, feel the power of the dark side, the power of grappling.

***** sounds of Darth Vader breathing fade out.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Okay, lets look at those 'cons' for boxing.

6. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Yayyyyy for people telling me what I wanted to hear ;)

Haha, thanks guys.... Any other input is appreciated as well