Boxing for the Street

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Stuart H, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

How would you adapt boxing for a street situation? I mean the actual system of boxing, not just "add kicks and grappling".

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

this is going to be a long and wide discussion.

for starters, i'd advise you to learn how to use your elbows. also, i'd add knees, foot/ instep/ knee stomps and low kicks (door breakers and low knee aimed 45s). learn to use you fingers (poke eyes, fish hooks and the like). expand your strike areas to the spine and back of the head, grion shots, etc.

basically, it's dirty stand-up fighting. over here we call it "mano-mano" or "tondo freestyle".

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Adapt boxing for a street situation? I would think the punching would be sufficient in many cases, if not listen to shootodog ;)

4. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

yep. ur elbows and knees could be very useful in this kind of fight. strikes to the tummy, head and groin should be very effective. hehe. wer u from shooto? add yawyan to yer friendster sayawngkamatayan@yahoo.com ingat dude! (take care)

5. shootodog

yawyan v. luna under sir toto limaco (1992-1994). :D :D :D

now i'm with danny foronda, jr.'s submission dungeon brotherhood and roland isla's kali de leon manila.

6. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

ahehehe. im frm yawyan pasay under sir saladin fernandez. so your under the mumbakki now huh? idol ko un (hes my idol). hehe. add yawyan to yer friendtser huh? =P

7. shootodog

i was wondering: is it common that boxing trainers to teach you "the dirt"? or was it just me? ("yah thru di elbu at di ahy! do it gid!" -dondon).

dance, it is done.

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Firstly you should learn to punch without handwraps and bag gloves.

Wraps/gloves allow you to punch much heavier than when you have no protection. This is obviously because wraps support and strengthen the alignment of your wrist and the gloves absorb and spread out the transfer of energy over a larger surface area.

This could result in a broken wrist because the boxer is ultimately adapted to fight with protection.

9. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Yep its good to hit the Punching bag once a week with bare hands. (I do and I observed over the years that i'm one of the few in my gym that can hit the bag with ful force without worrying about the wrist). Also be sure not to hit the hairy part of the haid - and forehead- without gloves (effects vary from aawwooooutch to broken bones).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You cut out the emphasis upon trying to score points and train for maximum speed and power in short combinations.

You concentrate upon achieving 'Forward Drive'. Here you are cutting out the idea of wearing down an opponent and gearing yourself towards breaking them up into pieces very quickly and being able to throw Power punches from any angle.

You concentrate upon getting your bodyweight into every blow, so that even with the humble jab, you are moving forwards, fist landing just a beat before the feet, in order to increase the stopping power of your punches.

You endeavour to develop Shovel hooks and Uppercuts that smash things. You work on connecting with other targets, example Uppercut to the Nutsack.

JohnDoc made a good point, throw away the handwraps and Boxing Gloves for Bag work and just use a thinly padded pair of bag gloves.

You work less upon bobbing and weaving and more upon being 'true-spaced', in that you veer off at 45 degree angles, preferably to the outside of your opponents body, so that you can attack them at will, but they find it difficult to respond, because of their body position.

Your defencive work becomes more about stopping their blows with your elbows and forearms, in order to increase the likelyhood of them breaking their fists on your bony elbow mass, ala Olde English boxing, Muay Thai etc.

This happens because your guard is there and not because of the more precision-orientated destructions that some systems proffer.

Once you've worked it out from these POVs, then you add in other stuff like edge of Hand blows, Elbows, trips, kicks and throws etc, but you must re-engineer your basic Boxing away from a Sporting sense and into a Fighting One, first.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  11. seantech

seantech New Member

I must be on the good track then... I can hit it full force a couple of times with hardly any wrist problems with any hand... Sometimes I get unlucky and X@$%¦! my left hand (wrist). The right is quite hard though.... I have been hardening my right hand for a couple of years now... I can bash a concrete wall with moderate power without having too much of a problem. Not that it's good for you...

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Excellent post Sokklab

You hit the nail right on the head :)

Especially the bit about the uppercut to the nutsack :cry: Classic quote

13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Why thank you, Sir...Glad to be of service :)

14. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Carefull with the walls. I've got a boxers fracture (u know, the little finger) cause i hit the wall clumsy when I had a fight (verbal :D) with my girlfriend. I usually hit the sac for about 2x1,5min full force /week without problems (well maybe the next day my hand is a little sore but nothing special..) . Believe it or not I have a bigger problem with the gloves. The thumb is in very bad position in the glove and I often hurt it with crosses witch land on elbows or heads...

15. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

I'll chime in here and agree about that post...very nice. We do boxing as a meansof self preservation here and not as a sport. You pretty much described how we do it. Nice to see agreement:)

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What JD said. I've known quite a few amateur boxers get into scraps, KO the guy but break their own hand in the process, so definately practice all the same drills but with out the gloves/handwraps.

Throw in a wee bit of clinch work and elbows and your sorted ;)

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Add a few low kicks and knees too.

Hmmmm - that could make a good system :D

18. Jame$

Jame$ New Member

Great post Sokklab, Informative and inspirational.
    Sorry to bring it up again but I thought it deserved due commendation.

19. seantech

seantech New Member

Till some time ago I had pains when even doing pushups on my fists because some ex-classmate broke (there was a crack in the bone) my little pinky's knuckle on the left hand... You can imagine that that + wall + force / whenever I hit the wall in the wrong fasion = pain. I don't have too much of a problem now ;) Thanks for the warning anyway!

I now use my magnificant gloves to pound concrete... I can hit harder/faster without even having to think about too much pain an/or injuries.

Sean

20. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

JKD and krav maga

I have taken Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's art) and krav maga. Both are heavily centered on 'street boxing' and have elbows and knees and stuff like that. They could both be described as 'dirty boxing'. For example, in krav maga, there is a thing where I jab cross, move in, then head butt. In JKD, I can cross and then turn it into an elbow in one motion. In krav, if someone tries to stab me, I hand trap his arm down - pinning it to his body, while I punch the s*** out of the guy...