Boxing for beginners

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by TurtleHermit, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TurtleHermit

TurtleHermit New Member

Hey

I'm interested in starting boxing, there's a club where I live but I have no experience in it, so what I wanted to know was what to start with how to start with, looking for some newbie advice.

I do have experience in other MA. around 13 years.

Any info will help

Hermit

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Check that the gym produces fighters that don't embarrass themselves in the ring. Boxing is a sport, so clubs are judged on results. If some of your 13 years previous experience in martial arts is in heavy contact striking arts like muay thai then the fact that you are used to a high level of contact will help you greatly. If your previous experience is in low contact arts and being punched hard in the face will be a new experience, then your previous experience probably won't help a great deal. You will probably need 16oz gloves for sparring, and you will definitely need a good mouthguard, but you should talk to your coach about what equipment you are expected to use before you go off and buy anything.

Have fun, boxing is an amazing martial art.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

What martial art did you study previously and what made you decide to have a go a this?

^ This. Using Kave's comment as a bench mark will also help you to stay clear of places that don't teach real boxing - ones that are "Dance your way to a fit ****" disguised as a boxing class.

And a heads-up. The best boxing clubs are not usually located in the best areas of town.

4. TurtleHermit

TurtleHermit New Member

all in a time span of 13 years I studied wtf tkd for 10 years isshin ryu karate for 5 and Olympic wrestling for 3.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Be sure to look at the clubs reputation first and what fighters are representing them.

Secondly, go attend the club, chances are you'll be able to identify a bad club from a good club when it comes to atmosphere and the relationship's between coaches and their students. Find out what their policies are too when it comes to membership fees.

Lastly, go read some books or watch some videos on Boxing. This will help you when it comes to identifying proper technique vs poor technique and application. Below are some of my favorite sources;

http://www.youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3
    http://www.youtube.com/user/expertboxing
    http://www.youtube.com/user/myboxingcoach
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BoxingFitFactory

6. belltoller

I don't think you'll have any problems...:cool:

7. belltoller

Thanks for the vid list Hapuka. I added them to my favourites list already since you recommend them.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Seconded. It's really just going to be a matter of calming yourself down and thinking because it's a new type of fighting.

I hadn't done any real striking but had experience in grappling/bjj. If you're used to getting kicked from the TKD you already have a leg up because you know what it's like to be struck. Just jump on in, but don't let them use you for a punching bag. A good indicator of them being a club that doesn't care about you would be them trying to throw you into the ring with somebody who is competing on day one.

9. belltoller

Hopefully, his TKD school didn't have point-stop sparring and his karate instructors didn't teach pulling punches, which could be a bugger to unlearn, or so I've heard...

The wrestling....worth its weight in gold

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It took me a good while to unlearn some of the grappling skills I had. While I had never trained striking I did learn how to thai clinch and shuck somebody to the ground using my strength. I did it a few too many times. I also nearly threw my instructor through the ropes during sparring by side stepping his forward momentum while keeping my rear leg in place and pushing his back before I spun out. While that's not a direct grappling move I'm aware of (by name) it certainly came from grappling. He was not pleased. :p

11. TurtleHermit

TurtleHermit New Member

MY TKD back ground was continuous full contact, 3 2min rounds I competed at a national level, Isshin Ryu was point fight full contact but more like until on knocks the other one down then you got a point that was WKA. Grappling is well Grappling I won a provincial medal for 2nd that's as far as I went with that. I did it more for fun.

12. TurtleHermit

TurtleHermit New Member