Boxing:Evil???

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by MuayKiDo, Apr 14, 2004.

1. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Today, street violence and agression is a hot topic in Holland. I personally think it is just a media hype, but recent developments are just too rediculous to believe. Here's the deal: In order to stop the growing violence in the streets, some political morons proposed to forbid boxing because it stimulates agressive behavior. And they are not talking about other martial arts/ fighting sports but just boxing and boxing only. :confused:
    Although I am not a boxer myself, I believe that anybody should see that this is a senseless proposal. Any opinions about this?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It is just complete narrow mindness. It is true that boxing can be seen as aggressive, but it cannot be one of the reasons why violence is on the increase.
    Most other sports stimulates aggressive behaviour too (maybe not golf tho, but you never know).
    Hopefully the proposal doesnt come to pass, but if it does, then the country will be losing out in a big way and it delivers a damaging blow to the world of sports and politics.

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

For a population with a murder rate nearly a fifth of that in the USA I fail to see how stopping boxing will be the answer?!?

4. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

I am glad to say that the proposal didn't come through. Not surprisingly, it got more negative reactions than supporting ones. I just hope this 'street agression hype' will blow over without damaging the name of boxing or any other martial art. I mean, how low can you go?

5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I don't see how anything would stop violence people have blame t.v, radio, music, family, environment, friends, religion, lack of sleep, and etc. Everyone points a finger at something.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Why dont they ban football.

I'll bet there is a lot more violence following games between PSV, Feyenoord or Ajax.

7. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Indeed. Fortunantly our hooligans don't target 'innocent bystanders' that often so they are not part of the street violence hype. There also hasn't been that much hooligan activity recently.
    Its seems that some political wannabeez were just looking for a something to blame and get in the newspapers. Thank god (and our common sense) it backfired on them :D

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

The fact of the matter is that boxing is an easy target. If boxing was watched by the same amount of people as football it would be much further from being banned.

I guess boxing provides an outlet for people to express themselves and a sense of being. Some folks dont realise that boxing gives some people a sense of community and respect for others deeper than some stuck up politician.

9. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

True, but I still wonder why not kickboxing or Karate? I must state that in my local newspaper almost every case of streetviolence is described featuring a karate kick. This is because our reporters are obviously biased, but it still raises the question why boxing was attacked by politicians.
    At my (thai)boxing school, anyone who attacks someone in the streets without a sensible reason would be banned for life.

To wrap it up: I think boxing was just the first thing that our politicians could come up with. It could have been any other fighting sport, witch shows how irrelevant our whole street agression hype is. It's just another 'Dutch emotion politics' campaign started by media players and boxing happened to be a victim of it.

10. yes

yes Banned Banned

All knowledge has the potential to be dangerous, it depends on who holds the knowledge and their intentions which makes the knowledge dangerous.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd have thought that boxing created a suitable environment for people to releave themselves of pent-up aggression.

Col

12. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

I'd have thought ih Holland that there are certain areas that create a suitable environment for people to releave themselves of pent-up aggresion/frustration ;) :D

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

That is an entirely good observation! :D

14. jokerlaughsatu

jokerlaughsatu New Member

This type of thinking seems to be floating around alot. when i was goin through public school in california we were allowed almost no contact sports in PE. No tackle football, no soccer for sure no boxing. we spent alot of time playing badmitton and lawn bowling. No suprise the kids are fat and lazy, and when they get mad they dont know what to do. IMO that is a big part of why there were guns floating around my school too

15. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

If your a naturally aggresive person then I fail to see how a sport can make you more aggresive.
    I run a boxing gym in the UK and our aim is to help young people learn a sport in a safe and fun enviroment.If it wasnt for the club then that would mean that a lot of young people would probably be hanging around street corners.
    An important part of boxing is control,without this its very nearly impossible to remain calm and keep focused.A lot of parents want thier children to learn about team work,patience and respect for other people which is why they choose to allow thier children into the boxing gym to train.

If boxing was banned then that would simply move 'underground' where it cannot be monitored properly making it very dangerous.The regulations for boxing are now so stringent some individuals are now turning to the illegal aspect of the sport which is thriving in the UK.

It seems on most occasions that the very people who wish to see things banned,and not just boxing,have never actually indulged in it,whatever it may be.
    I often wonder why someone watches a boxing match and then complains afterwards how it was so barbaric to watch.
    I dont want to get into a whats righteous and what isnt debate but I will say there are many more important issues in the world that our goverments etc could be putting right.

Just my two cents.

16. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

The same is happening were I practice. Our thaibox trainer gives special training for street youth and problem teenagers.
    And just about five years ago, thai boxing had the same problem a as boxing today (at least here in Holland). Everybody thought that is was a 'criminal' sport and encouraging young people to fight with others. Now that it is becoming more popular and loosing its bad name, it surprised me even more that boxing was attacked by politicians. It just seems that some people here don't know what they are talking about.

What I personally find more dangerous are alle the people hangin' in front of a tv/computer all day who are not motivated enough to sport. If they learned how much joy, physical strength, condition and self esteem you can get by training a martial art, cases like this 'anti boxing proposal' would be a thing of the past.