Boxing Book

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Dec 6, 2015.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Championship Fighting: Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defense by Jack Dempsey.

Howdy all, is this a good book on boxing? I'm looking for a good no nonsense book on boxing has anyone read this one? It has very favorable reviews on Amazon.com.

Went for my 1st beginner's boxing class yesterday - it was more awesome than I thought :) Not sure I also wana do Judo once a week too as I think it would just hinder my progress in boxing? Boxing is all you need if you also lift imo.

E

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I'm not sure about other opinions on here, but I've found myself slow down with my explosiveness with I started lifting alot during martial arts. If you can incorporate a fair amount of plyo into your routines, with some functional lifts that work multiple major muscle groups, that'd be awesome cause you most likely won't slow down from the extra weight because your muscles already got accustomed to it through the plyo.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I haven't read the book - it does sound like one I'd like to pick up - as the author is non other than Jack Dempsey, I'm sure it'd offer some nuggets.

So what did you do in your beginner's class on the first day? Is this a boxing gym - i.e. a fighter producing gym or is it being offered as an allied course in an MMA school, etc.,?

Just had a debate about that very topic recently...my view being that there was more than enough to learn if one were to dedicate themselves exclusively to that end. If one is spending half their training day engaged in another art, then that's half the training day ( or available time ) that one is not training in boxing.

In other words, I'd think you more of a chance to become really proficient in boxing ( or any other given art ) by honing and perfecting that craft exclusively - as it does take time to master the many subtle intricacies.

But others (whom I respect for their skills and experience) disagree.

It really depends on what you want to do and your situation. Someone 30, 40 with a family, full time job isn't going to have the time and energy that someone who is 20 and relatively free of encumbrances is going to have and they are going to have their hands full maintaining even a casual foot in one art.

You also need to factor in the conditioning aspect of it as well and the time required for that. Both boxing and Judo are grueling in and of themselves.

Not everyone wants to get to the licensed amateur level in boxing - in which case, you could certainly do another art such as Judo, Bjj, wrestling.

On the other hand, you probably won't get to the amateur/pro level if you're spread out all over the place.

Thanks for recommending the book.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its a classic for a reason - buy it

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

All you need for what?

6. EdiSco

As a combat sport hobby that I could enjoy and also to defend against the common morons who think they have suddenly got superpowers after a couple of pints and now want to teach me a hard lesson for looking at their shirt or their woman :rolleyes:

7. EdiSco

@Belltoller just did some body conditioning, plyo, stamina exercises and knuckle pressups etc. followed by bag and pad work. intro to jab and cross and a simple Jab and cross combo. The trainers' hold the focus pads themselves and correct technique which I thought was really cool of them: 5-10 mins per student. they don't let other students hold the pads. it's a pure boxing gym. I hated the rope skipping. so hard!

Thing is, boxing is simple so you could add another art like Judo quite easily 6-9 months down the road. Just cause boxing is simple doesn't mean it's not effective in the street. there is a serious flaw in the human mind that makes one think it has to be complicated but it doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

This book contains the greatest diagram ever:
    [​IMG]

9. belltoller

lol

Simple...hmmm...I prefer unadorned elegance.

For some canny good tutorials, you should check out Simon's skipping vids -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsK1hYBcfg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsK1hYBcfg[/ame]

10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I have it. It's a great book and a classic text.

If you search the Internet you can find the PDF if you are unsure if you want it. I bought mine for very little money as it is/was back in print. It used to go for £100s.

11. belltoller

Admittedly, I don't have too many boxing books - classic or otherwise, though I think this thread may have me change that.

I did find a book called "How to be an Ass-Whooping Boxer" a few years ago in some hole-in-the-wall bookshop one day while I was looking for an Aleister Crowley work that was rumored to be there.

As it was out of print, I picked it up for the novelty more than anything else. The preface purported its author to be a who's who in the world of fighting instruction (circa 1940's) and gave him credit for a wide number of dubious claims.

I'd never heard of him - one Jay C. "Champ" Thomas. No mention of him in BoxRec.

Anyroad, a section on training included this illustration of a boxer having a go with dangling tree leaves, lol.

[​IMG]

12. EdiSco

"£100's"? :eek: I just ordered it so it's still in print. It has 4.8 out of 5 star positive reviews on US amazon...rare for a book....

13. EdiSco

seems Boxing is not so underrated among the good pro fighters. Good video. these guys know what they're talking about:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJIquXx0kc"]what is the best martial arts for a real street fight? - YouTube[/ame]

14. Dead_pool

That video is Terrible, boxing is very usefull, but its definitely not everything.

15. EdiSco

That was definitely not the message in that video :eek: I thought they ranked it as one of the more useful styles among BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Muay Boran and a couple others I cant remember. Their base style is Muay Thai and Jeet Koon Dow? did you watch the whole video.

16. Knee Rider

I watched the whole thing. I don't know who either of those dudes are but based on the intro to the clinch and the vibe from them I'd be inclined to question their knowledge and experience.

I agree that boxing is very effective and that the full contact combat sports and grappling based arts are by far the most consistent for producing a fight capable student but then that's really no great revelation.

The main guy comes across like a bit of a Mitty and reminds me of the sort of bullcrapper you meet in martial arts equipment shops or doing a trial session on the mats who never comes back.

edit - having researched him he seems to have more legitimacy than I'd assumed so I've probably been a bit unfair but TBH that video is pretty terrible and I havent seen much that would encourage me to view him as an authority. He's a had a few fights and gets his face about though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  17. EdiSco

Yeah the video does seem terrible but I think it was the theme of this particular interview? they were trying to make the interview fun and "zany" for the average Joe so the average guy doesn't get put off by martial arts. I think they were trying to be funny but they shouldn't have put down a couple of styles such as Karate and Tae Kwon Do - that was just not necessary!

I thought they made some good points throughout the interview.

You see I only have very little knowledge of Boxing (2 classes so far) and love watching Judo videos, that's it. Would you guys say Judo is like the grappling equivalent of boxing in that it's practical and you just dive right in and start learning without all the patterns/katas/forms and things like that? It looks like "simple" to pick up and learn like boxing. What grappling arts would you suggest are easy to take up and goes well with boxing? I'm thinking of doing a judo calss a week too.

18. Dead_pool

Judo is pretty practical, but it does take a while before your safe to be thrown about.
    Expect a few classes of breakfalls and light sparring before you start going full out.

Grappling arts don't really do kata like karate etc so for the most part theyre all pretty practical.

19. Knee Rider

Yeah I'd say judo would compliment boxing excellently.

Wrestling or some form of submission grappling would always be another option and like judo and boxing: they appear simple but are in fact very deep. Personally I think striking arts can be more accessible in the initial stages as you can polish your tools on the pads and a punch is slightly more instinctual and familiar than an osoto gari, drop seonagi or omoplata but yeah... Judo and boxing are deep in strategy and technique and all about utility.

Waffle over = you can't go wrong with judo and boxing.

Edit -, I train MMA and very much rate and recommend it. If there are any legit local gyms you could try them too.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  20. invicticated

invicticated New Member

I actually have no comment on the book, and more on training. Any kind of training is best to be "well-rounded". Focus in one area is good, but your body doesn't just use one skill or strength, like muscle strength or speed. It also relies on cardio vascular fitness and its ability to respond (explosive power). I cannot see how Judo would hinder any learning in boxing... I see that as expanding ability and knowledge and I think it would be complimentary.

If you want something to support your boxing training, I agree with EdiSco that plyometric training for bursts and cardio that improves your stamina would be really helpful. Finding the right balance between strength training, plyo, cardio, and muscle conditioning for what you want to accomplish is what I think you should be looking for and not just one type of exercise imo.