boxing bag in kendo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by samuri-man, Apr 7, 2005.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i was stuffing around with my boxing bag and an incredible thought struck me and i wonder if anyone it out before i though people could do solo practice for kendo. i mean strike to the support strapes= one to the hand, hitting the top of the bag= hitting the head and hitting the middle= slashing the chest

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I've done this with standing bags. Also, many kendo/kumdo schools use a fixture with two tire-pieces stuck on it, one at head heigth and one at wrist height. This allows for very nice practice of double-strikes and combinations on the move.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Or you can make an old fanshioned pell.
    Dig a hole about two feet deep
    insert a wooden post about 6 inches in diamter into hole
    Fill in the hole with tightly packed dirt
    Hit with weapon

you might want to pad it with carpet because Ive destroyed wooden weapons with an unpadded pell.

EDIT:http://www.woodenswords.com/Pell/pell.htm

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

HEHE..be carefull. I broke my bokken on my punching bag. Not happy...mind you, it did already have a wee crack in it.

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Or you could use what we use in the Filipino arts, a tyre stack (striking dummy). this will also give you feed back and improve your grip.

Regards

Pat

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

beat me to the draw again! dang!

if you used a bag for that kind of work you'd a) ruin the bag, b) ruin your weapon, c) ruin your wrist.

tyre/ tire stcks are better imho.

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Not that I don't believe you shootdog, but how is stricking a punching bag damaging to your wrists?
    Simply the resistance of the strike? or shape?
    Just that I did it for a while with no side affects.

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

some bag's stuffing are too hard or too soft. makes you "break" your wrists if you don't have proper form.