Boxing and losing wieght

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Does taking up boxing lessons and doing them every day burn enough calories to lose weight if you eat the right amount of calories??? I'm not talking about fitness boxing Im talking about real boxing lessons with sparring that people train in if they want to compete.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The answer would be yes, but that would be the same for any exercise combined with eating the right amount of calories.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Absolutely yes, especially when working your diet and increasing your physical activity level throughout the day. It's very easy to burn 1k calories in a legit boxing worked, even more if you're adding sparring in regularly.

That said, don't jump right into it. Approach it like any other martial art and start with the basics. You have to work up to being able to do those 1k calorie burning workouts.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Real boxing burns a lot more calories than the Tae bo style fitness classes that pop up.

5. Ero-Sennin

It's amazing how many calories are burned when you're trying to avoid being punched in the face. :p

6. 8limbs38112

cool. thanx

7. 8limbs38112

man boxing classes in Memphis are expensive. 145 a month for six month contract and 125 a month for yearly contract.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Then find a cheaper gym

I can't believe there's only one in the City.

9. Ero-Sennin

Look for a hole in the wall. The boxing gym I went to was $90 a month and I had to drive around to find it. They advertise, but it was easier to locate them online when I knew about them. We have another boxing gym in the area that pushes you into contracts and is based on fitness, I would be weary of that.

You might not like this, but take a ride into the less inviting areas of wherever you live that have a small business district. Boxing gyms tend to not be in the best of area. The best gym in the DC/VA/MD area that I know of is called Head Bangers and while it's a nice facility they don't advertise and you'll probably be worried about your car being broken into while you're training. Is what it is. The place is like a Mecca dropped into the ghetto.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

A lot of training, can be done at "home". Roadwork such as running, skipping, bodyweight exercises (when done right) will not only burn the calories, its free!

If you are stuck with pricey classes, do the above and go to some classes until you find another that suits you better. It takes a bit of planning but easy when you come down to it.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If you take up boxing, our friend Simon ^^ has produced some excellent videos about boxing exercises on youtube. :) Highly recommended.

12. 8limbs38112

im gonna do muay thai to lose weight. at the same club I was going to do bjj. they say they incorporate a little western kickboxing in their muay thai too. I don't know what to think about that.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It means either

a) they compete in kickboxing and muay thai,
    or b) they were a kickboxing gym that turned into a muay thai gym

either way its all good.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Swimming is actually the exercise that most claim burns the most calories on a calories per hour. You should solely be focusing on your art and doing it right. Losing weight is another thing. Calories in, calories out. If you really want to lose weight then keep a log of what you eat. Look up your BMR and then see your calories per day and that will give you a better idea of where you need to be. Eat slow absorbing carbs such as oats, sweet potatoes, etc and high protein lean meats, eat whites, lean ham, chicken, fish. Drink a lot of water, at least a gallon a day and more on training days. Keep your veggies up as snacks and part of your meals as well.

15. Jagunco

Jagunco New Member

just want to say that whenever I've focused on losing weight I haven't and whenever I've found good training that I committed too I literally lost 15lb a month

16. Saved_in_Blood

I would ask first how many lessons are you getting per month though? My class is only 8 lessons per month @ 105.00. Granted that my Sensei was my neighbor from age 12-32, and he offered to cut it to 90.00, but I didn't feel like that was fair to the other people there.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Then you were losing muscle. 2 lbs per week is the most you should aim to lose aside from the first week or 2 when you will drop a lot of water.

18. 8limbs38112

That was on the web site. You can go 5 days a week between 3pm and 8pm.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Oh, well I wouldn't say that was bad since you have access to the place all of those hours... that's a second career man lol.

20. 8limbs38112

Well Ive lost 24 lbs since I started the liquid amino diet and last talked about it on the forum. Hopefully in the summer I won't be a fat slob anymore. I am determined to reach my goals. This diet is really working. Not trying to rub it in the skeptics face or anything. Wish me luck.