Boxing and cracked teeth

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Archibald, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hey guys,

I would really like to staOrt boxing, however I have fractures all through my front teeth - result of eating an accidental elbow getting thrown.

I'm aware a large part of boxing is gettig smacked in the face, but even with a mouthguard should I be seriously worried about my teeth? like, is that the nature of the hits you get in boxing? My dentist told me that at some point they'll fall apart, so I don't know, i'm a bit torn - i'd really love to take up the sport but is that just being stupid given the condition of my teeth?

What are your thoughts?

2. Simon

Simon Bulldog Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Have you discussed boxing with your dentist?

Dentists make custom mouth guards, so should be able to give you advice as to whether they'll offer enough protection in your case.

I would also go to a club and talk to the coach.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone joining my class and just not doing the sparring, or only sparring light contact.

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

My dentist had a hard enough time accepting that I do ju jutsu, let alone boxing, so I know his answer already lol

4. Simon

Simon Bulldog Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'd still go to a boxing gym and talk to the coach.

Boxing is a great art on its own, but a great addition to anything you may already do.

So much you can do in the way of bag and pad work, footwork etc.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Why don't you contact the ABA (Australian Boxing Association? Commision?) and ask them for the name of a dentist in your area who has worked with boxers so you can get an opinion from someone knowledgable. I used to know scuba dive and most doctors wouldn't let you dive if you had blown an ear drum. Talking to a dive Medical Doctor sorted that out in about 30 seconds. Best to talk to people who know a bit about what you are getting into and not just someone who has read about it.

LFD

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's expensive but new teeth?

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Thanks guys, all great advice.

I'll go and talk to the coach and see what he has to say about it, and as Simon suggested even light sparring is better than none right?

Moi, I actually thought of that but I just can't afford it at the moment, I'm a working student lol

8. Moi

Don't know how it works there but technically if they do break will they be fixed for free?

9. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'm pretty sure it depends on your insurance. There's also however the matter of an angry girlfriend to deal with if I come home with no teeth - she really wasn't happy when I said I wanted to box :p

10. Moi

See I'd be free here, or there'd be a maximum bill of next to nothing :)
    Take her with you, great fitness and its possible shell love it?

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I just might give that a shot :)

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it turns out

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

What's the condition of the bone (that anchor's those teeth)? Have they told you that you're experiencing any pronounced bone loss - it often occurs after such an injury and there is a domino effect - and if so, how fast is it progressing?

If its progressing fairly rapidly - I'd say go for it! You'll loose them anyroads and you might as well "enjoy" the freedom.

Its after they are gone and you begin the long process of bone transplants, grafts, titanium implants, healing, then likely more work - that's when you would want to consider a sport where punches to the face/head are not part of the allowed rule set.

I've similarly lost ... all of the teeth in front of the upper jaw. There's a few molars in the back here and there that are left - one of them is all by himself, so I'm not setting up a college fund for that one.

Standard mouth guards won't even fit on the uppers as there is nothing for it to anchor to but I do wear a type on the bottom.

I elected to halt the bone grafts and implants so that I could do boxing free and clear of encumbrances - which in my case is perfectly fine as I'm not likely going to see a 10 year career.

As said, most boxing gyms will allow for nonsparring. But mind you, there are a few where...everyone goes all out and while they will kindly oblige if you wish not to engage...you're not going to feel very connected to life there if you don't.

Need to hang around any potential gym for a good bit to get a feel for the culture.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

I've done quite a bit of sparring and I've never got knocked in the teeth so hard I noticed it. The mouth isn't exactly a prime target to aim for, and as long as you keep your mouth closed you probably wouldn't have a problem.

The only time I had a problem with my teeth is when I was doing MMA and I got kneed right in the two fronts. Knocked one of them about a millimeter higher than the other and you can see it if you were looking for it. I've yet to see somebody chip or hurt their teeth when I was boxing, but your problem is a bit more to consider.

I think Late for Dinner's advice is spot on. A good mouth guard could probably be your best bet, and if your teeth are going to fall apart anyways then what the hell right? Get a story for it instead of just letting them disintegrate, and start saving for the new ones. :p

14. belltoller

Hmmm...I think there is a possibility that there are underlying issues that the the op and myself are dealing with that are not as obvious to many, well most, participants on the boxing forum as it is to us.​

One is not ordinarily going to be able to push over a 4 x 4 post anchored at an appropriate depth in the ground - provided that the cement holding it in place is cured properly. You may take a sledgehammer and possibly break the post (tooth) but the post itself will remain anchored - as long as the cement is good.

Its the same with a tooth. No, a young person with a disease-free bone matrix isn't going to loose a tooth in boxing...or biting into a chewy piece of beef, or by grinding their teeth in their sleep.

But if the bone matrix is severely compromised to the extent that it can no longer anchor the teeth solidly, then one can run a fairly high risk that chewy food, night grinding, even boxing - yes, boxing could also do it.

The force of impact on a mouth guard against weakened teeth could could also do it - doesn't have to be a direct hit in the mouth to do it.

A couple of years or so ago, I was playing with one of my children and his hard little head came up and wacked me hard on the chin - which caused a canine to come loose - just sort of hanging there.

I didn't realise there were any problems with them as I'd taken care of brushing, flossing, cleaning. I remember a couple of years previous, I'd had severe pains for a long while but it was thought to be sinus infections - which I'm prone for. What I didn't know was the pain had been coming from rapid bone matrix erosion - it had been masked by sinus trouble and middle ear infections.

So after the first tooth went, it didn't take long to loose the rest - and no, a dentist couldna done anything about it - other than charge a nice fee for each tooth removal, the anesthesia, the Registered Nurse ( due to the anesthesia ), facility usage if they have to do it as an outpatient surgery - and that's what they would've had to do because the typical dentists office isn't set up for surgical gases and so forth; then, there are fees for recovery nurse staff and their necessary supplies ...

Ya, Ero...a nice little sum to consider. If they are going to come out on their own given time...plus there's no swelling, no pain meds when they come out on their own.

So, you can get fitted for bridges and caps - not like we're running about looking like pappy Yokum with a bottle of moonshine under his arm.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

Well alrighty then, I'll just chalk that previous post to "worst post on MAP in 2014, and not helpful at all" then.

16. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

How much are your teeth cracked. Is it a little bit like Nas's chipped tooth, or ist it a giant chunk of your front teeth.

17. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hey guys,

It's only the teeth that are cracked, the supporting bone is fine. I'm only missing a corner of one of my front teeth - I got elbowed under the chin and because of an overbite my teeth can't "pass" each other, hence they smashed each other on the way past.

The main issue are fractures through the teeth themselves, they are structurally weaked, so I was sort of worried that even with a good mouthguard they'd be at risk of being broken completely. The more I'm writing this the more I'm realising this is a question for a dentist, right?

Thanks again for the responses guys

18. belltoller

It wasn't that bad, now...don't be too hard on yourself.

Apologies accepted :Angel:​

---------
    :: Ero Sennin reads Belltoller's latest post :bang:::
    ---------

Well, ya know Belltoller gets his knicker's in a right twist when it comes to the subject of teeth. His teeth, your teeth, anyone's teeth

No, no one twists my arm to volunteer info I apparently have some sort of latent guilt complex about in a thread where the info isn't applicable to the OP's situation; then become defencive at some innocent remark, climb up on a soapbox and deliberate about the cost of having dental work done - as if you were the problem for not knowing this.

Ahah, ahah, ahah...well now, it didn't seem like this at the time and I didn't intend for it to come off like that, but as I read through the posts it certainly comes off like that.

Belltoller, man...what's the problem? :dunno: Ha, ahah.

I could try and excuse it by saying I was over-this and under-that last evening, but I sounded like a foogin girl. LoL

Sorry, about that! lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  19. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hey everyone!

This thread is ancient history by now but I wanted to let you know that I finally took up boxing - a friend of mine has done it for years under the coaching of an old cricket-club associate who boxed at competition level for many years in South Africa and now coaches for free out of his garage for the local young'ns.

In other words because of the small nature of the group, I was able to explain to him the situation with my teeth so now I can train but I'm not expected to spar hell for leather, and the other lads know to watch my chompers.

So thanks again for all the advice, and I mainly wanted to say I LOVE BOXING! I'm having such a great time doing it, I don't know why I didn't start it years ago. Expect to see my around this forum!

-Cheers, JP