Boxing a complete MA?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Killerbee, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

I like boxing and I have great respect for the awesome power that a boxer can dish out with his fists, but would you boxers say that boxing is a "complete" Martial Art? Other arts may have grappling, kicking and other goodies whicle boxing is reduced to fists and only the front knuckels.

Maybe reduced to the max?

What are your opinions?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Boxing is an awesome art and very much underated by many so called martial artists.

It is, however, far from "complete".

3. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Exact;y what Yoda said. Although it is very effective in the range it is used in, training and techniques in other ranges are nonexistent.

4. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Put against someone not trained in martial arts, it's hard to be in any other range.

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Wrong. Many brawlers will try to push you over or throw you amateurishly, landing you on the ground. A boxer would be mincemeat on the ground with a good groundfighter.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

What would make a Martial Art complete?? And does such a thing exist???:confused:

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Nothing a complete MA :p

|Cain|

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

They are good in fighting range! ;)

What other ranges are there....

Boxing is as complete as many arts that claim to be COMPLETE.

Boxers do work at a lot of ranges, I made the same mistake of only distinguising between striking and grappling. Plus boxers do go into clinch range more than most.

And who's to say they won't still be punching as it goes to the floor, if you're going to take a good boxer out on the ground, you'd better be good both striking and grappling!

9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Define complete?

There's always someone out there with a different opinion or list of facets that you require to be "complete".

Is BJJ complete, Muay Thai, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung-Fu, Krav Maga, etc etc...?

You think you train in a complete MA and then some ******* twats you on the head with a plank of wood and mugs you. Is this the fault of your MA because it didn't cover "plank twatting" or was it just that you were in a sitaution that was hard to prepare for?

According to many of the US practitioners of MA's an art isn't complete without firearms training for instance. Kinda screws most of us I would imagine...

10. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

grappling is a whole new range. Boxing isn't trained for that.

11. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

In what way is grappling a new range?

There are only so many places for a fight to take place. Ground & standup have long histories prior to current trends. Certain ranges might go in and out of vogue for a time that is all.

Of course boxing doesn't train grappling.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I think range is a slightly different thing......

And granted boxing doesn't grappling range, this is not to say a boxer can't fight on the floor! ;)

The strengths of boxing can be carried over to new styles, I think a good boxer would soon adapt to learning something like Judo, and that along with boxing etc would help make a good complete fighter.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  13. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

there are two types of art
    Real and fake
    Soft and hard

Real works in real fights and can be adapted
    Fake only works in the dojo and is harder to adapt.

i have sparred with 7 martial artists who say boxing is crap and not good and i put them out of training for weeks. i buts them up only using boxing none of my other martial arts.

A martial artist shouldnt be biased. a fool is!

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Bust them up SB :eek:

Many martial artists become slaves to their style instead of using them and all to become a good fighter.................

Maybe uts ignorance or just lack of understanding.

Good point, there are only real and fake fighters!

15. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

Fake and real is life

we just have to choose which we are

Fake is easy but useless
    Real is hard but usefull

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You noticed the way forum posts drift? I suppose, boxing does exactly what it says on the tin, it teaches you boxing i.e. ballistic strikes with the hands, to a high level of skill. You could probably walk around your whole life needing no other fighting skills than boxing. If you intend to fight people with other types of skill, then I suppose you couldn't regard it as 'complete'.

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

True.

A boxer still has big weaknesses, its not complete, and probably less complete than most MA's.

But it teaches a good level of fighting skill due to its training methods (usually) so the strengths of a boxer are generaly very good.