boxers in MMA

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Nimrook, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

well he is heavyweight right now, but he's trying really hard to get down to light heavy, or if possible super middle. But I don't know , he is going to give it a shot though.

2. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

dude those who master karate at its highest for have punch flurries along with connected low kicks so dont worry and fighting it out also boxers tend to use the hand of which the leg is forward so just dont try to counter try hit them quicker harder then they would u

3. JKogas

JKogas Valued Member

ANYONE in today's MMA who is one diminsional (pure boxer) will be dealt with rather easily by any of today's multi-diminsional MMA fighters. That's the whole point of being multi-diminsional to begin with.

If a pure boxer is clinched with by say, the likes of Randy Couture, it isn't likely that he'll be able to even break the clinch to begin with, before he's taken down and dominated.

A pure boxer may have a second or so, to get a shot off, before the distance is closed and/or a shot is taken. Considering that it generally takes more than a few punches to really KO someone, someone without ability in all THREE games will usually be had fairly easily.

-John

4. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

The boxers that TRY and compete in K1 were hopeless as pro fighters anyway.I would have like to have seen a Tyson in his prime in a K1 event and I reckon Lennox Lewis would do very well in K1 for someone who is only trained to use his hands.Maybe we will see him tere one day....and pigs might fly.

5. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Well Belfort is a Great Fighter He is not a pure Boxer.
    Black Belt BJJ,
    Trained With Wrestlers Darahel Golar & Mark Colman.

If U Take a Step Back Your Oppnet May Shoot.
    I have Sparred Many Boxers In preperation for Fights
    While I have had My Jaw Rocked a Few Times None were abel
    to Avoid My Clinch & Takedown.

Lets Take a look at The Boxers History in MMA
    1st Art Jimmerson Comes to Mind He Fought Royce Gracie
    & Was Clinced & Taken to The Floor. He Tapped With Out
    Takeing a Singel Shot

Melton Bowen IBF I.C. Champion Fought Steve(Ninjitsu)Jennam
    The Fight was Taken to the Floor & Bowen was Armlocked.
    Bowen Shoed Great Heart. But it was his lack of a Groud Game
    That caused his loss.

FLASH BACK Gene Lebell Vs Milio Savage Probably
    The 1st MMA Fight in America Savage Was Chkoed out.

Boxing is a Great Sport & I Belive Far More Dangerous
    Than Mixed Martial Arts The amount of Death histoy
    Prooves That.

Back to Belfort I think he is a Dangerous Fighter
    But Not as a Pure Boxer If U watch all His Fights With the Exeption
    Of The Silva Fight He Used a Lot Of Grappling Skillls.

His Fight With Sak was a barnburner. (Loss)

His Fight With Randy Cotour was nothing more than a Shut out
    And I was Routing for Belfort.

The Bottom Line is U have to be Well Rounded
    If U go into MMA & Try & Stand up with no Grappling
    U well Fail Time Has Proven This.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  6. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Boxers have great punches obviously but like Mark Coleman and other pure grapplers like the Gracie's can't really punch but aint really good in stand up but yeah Boxers could have more success if they cross train just like what fighters are doing now.

7. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

I think if a hard enough boxer (ie. Tyson 10 years ago) tried, he'd do well. Simply for the fact that good boxers are fast AND strong and could KO the other guy if they got just one or two lucky hits in.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dude, anyone in that competition is going to be fast and strong. That's the nature of professional athletics.

9. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

a

I have heard MMA people in the know say that There is no evidence that Vitor Belfort is good on the ground-
    Carlson Gracie gifted him a black belt for propaganda reasons so he would promote the Gracie BJJ name.
    The suggestion is he is a dynamic athlete, very fast hands and but knowledge of clinch and ground not master.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Regardless, even if he's only been exposed to the likelihood of shoots and takedowns, that gives him experience that a straight boxer wouldn't have.

11. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Belfort Did Verry Well at The Abu Dahibi Submisson Wrestling
    Championships.

He also has Used Submisson in MMA
    He choked out Bobby Southworth in Pride.
    And he Armlocked Judo Blackbelt Joe Charels at the 1st Ultimate Japan.

He Used The Ground Game To Score Victory over
    Heath Herring Who is one of The Best Fighters in MMA.

Whos The Last Boxer To Compete at The ADCC?

Belfort Has Powerful Fist But He is not a Boxer he is A MMA Fighter

Note for those Who Don't Know ADCC is a Submisson Wrestling
    Event.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

a pure boxer would get slaughtered very quickly. everyone taps to an armabar/kneebar. and every chokes out at the same rate. not having any MMA training at all. i'd give it about 8 seconds.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Still, a fighter who studies boxing along with other mma orientated arts is going to be a winner.

14. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I think that there too different to compare, boxing is very tactical, you don't have to worry about being kicked in the leg or taken down, but MMA you can just swing for it and maybe hit, i mean look at wanderlei silva, if you get close he throws hooks left and right. unlike boxing where you can dodge hit dodge hit.

15. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Good discussion!

-I used to be very torn between the "Boxer vs. MA'ist" argument. From a logical standpoint, the person with the most well-rounded "game" should typically dominate a set combative scenario. However...the skill of some well-known boxers is staggering!

So, I've come to this conclusion: Professional boxers are amazing NOT because of the style, but because boxing is a million dollar sport in America. When you are paid THAT much to practice something, you have the ability to do NOTHING but train with the best equipment, coaches, etc...

The unfortunate reality is that most MMA competitions don't pay that much, and the ones that do don't occur often enough for MMA fighters to make a living comparable with a boxer.

I have a feeling that if Lennox Lewis, Roy Jones, Prince Nazim Hamed, etc... suddenly turned all of their funds into the practice of MMA, then they would be unbelievably amazing. I also believe that if MMA fighters like Crocop, Belfort, Couture, etc... had the funds and resources that pro boxers have....well, we would see a completely new kind of MMA fighter.

May you achieve
    Satori

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i agree. if couture/ belfort or crocop had the funds. they would be unstoppable, but they are still more than well enough off.

17. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Good point but you must take into account that the average professional fighter does not get paid that much. Roy Jones, Lennox Lewis, Prince Nazim etc. are big named fighters who get paid millions of dollars because they can draw in huge crowds bring in big revenue which gives them the option to demand those high salaries. But most professional fighters don't have a big name and usually have a 9 to 5 that they work every day before coming to the gym at night and training hard for 2 to 4 hours or more a night. And that's after running in the morning prior to work. But your right the top champions in the UFC don't make anywhere close to what the top champions in boxing do.

That was slightly off topic but an important point still, but back to the issue of the boxer vs. the MMA. I personally think its going to come down to what guy can get the other guy to fight his fight. The MMA is going to have the advantage on the ground and with the legs for certain but if the boxer is able to step in and land some good combinations than the fight's going to be over pretty quickly. A mixed MMA may have experience in boxing or his arsenal may consist of a mixture of other areas which do not include boxing. In any event he probably won't be as good at striking as the pure boxer. He'll have to have excellent conditioning because should he attempt a takedown he's going to get hit. It's going to be up to his skill to not let the boxer land combinations that will cause a KO as he attempts to change surface of the fight and take the boxer out of his element. In any event I think MMA has the advantage I just don't think its going to be quite as easy as some people may think.