boxer neck harness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ade1971, May 2, 2014.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

just wondering if neck harness use by boxers to strengthen the neck are ok to use as I have heard they can damage you lower back and neck . I been told there can make you better at taking punches any advice?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Neck harness that makes you able to take punches better? Confused.com. :/

3. flat1985

flat1985 Valued Member

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

If you start using them make sure you:

A) Start light and build up the weight slowly

B) Retain your flexibility in your neck

C) Do to the front, sides and rear (agonist/ antagonist)

Too much weight on an inexperienced neck will cause lower back and neck pain, yes.

Small incremental increases (experience) and recoups means you'll be pain free and strong necked.

Any neck strengthening can help with potential impact. Just that your brain swirling around your skull doesn't work that way. So you still need to duck :Angel:

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Just use a paint tin with concrete in complete with hand wrap round the handle(its free then)
    ,stick it in your mouth sit down and lift,this is one way they do it in camps in Thailand,its really to help with neck strength for clinching and has the benefit of strengthening the jaw muscles to(because your biting on the wrap),I used one in Thailand Id been doing it for a min or two when the coach said to me "those are for the kids" and then pointed to a bigger/heavier tin I couldnt lift at all so stayed with the kids ones lol:)

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Never thought of using a paint tin for this and I have plenty of those at home. Thanks.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Welcome brother,sand in there or concrete and your away:)

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Mate, thanks for the post. Ya, I've wondered this very same thing since I read an article in a ESPN mag that went into great detail covering attempts by some in the American professional football associations working with top-level medical scientists to come up with a solution for the growing problem with concussions and the big money lawsuits that are going to be coming down the pike as a result.

Apparently, it is this part of the cervical spine that has been implicated in having the greatest impact on suffering concussions and they were working on some sort of experimental work-ups for harnesses.

I didn't have time to finish the article as I was reading it in the garage waiting for the mechanics to finish working on my car, but it looked first - rate.

Wish I could find it again.

9. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Why don't they just stop American Football players wearing helmets? Then that would stop them using their heads as battering rams? That way they wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of concussions.

Compare Rugby to American Football - Far less direct concussions and concussion lawsuits in Rugby.

Simple or simplistic?

Of course you still need to strengthen your neck - For 'boxing' and/ or other impact sports.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

[​IMG]

Sir...

Are you actually suggesting that....more hardware is not the solution?

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

start super light with higher reps. remember to work all sides and wrestlers bridge is awesome too.

shrugs are important too, thick necks are infinitely more awesome than skinny necks as well as safer.

gut, grip and neck; there is a reason the old school got so obsessed with them.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

There are some who feel that a stronger, more muscular neck decreases the amount of rotation upon impact of a punch, kick, or whatever. The neck snaps around, which some believe causes the blood flow to stop for a millisecond and that causes the KO. I used to believe this, but, while a stronger neck can always increase overall safety in some situations, the KO most of the time is just a matter of short circuiting of the brain sort of. Here's a better explanation for it for the OP.

There is nothing more exhilarating for a boxing audience than to see a fighter hit the mat in a knockout. But being on the losing end of a KO punch can damage a lot more than a pugilist's pride—research suggests that the blows that cause knockouts can be debilitating to a boxer's short and long-term health. Repeated blows to the brain can cause chronic damage such as personality changes and dementia. If the punches have enough impact to cause uncontrollable brain swelling or hemorrhage, the fighter could even die.

So what causes a knockout? Concussions, and lots of them. While it often seems as though the effect is caused by a single well-placed shot, it is usually the result of many quick punches. Each punch creates a concussion (technically defined as any head injury that causes a disruption of neurological function), and each concussion brings the boxer closer to a state of darkness.

Here's how it happens: The body contains dissolved sodium, potassium and calcium, collectively known as electrolytes, which are responsible for conducting impulses along neurons. Every time a fighter receives a blow to a nerve, potassium leaves the cell and calcium rushes in, destabilizing the electrolyte balance, while the brain does all it can to keep these levels in balance. With each successive blow, this balance becomes harder and harder to maintain, and more and more energy must be spent in the process. When the body reaches the point where the damage outweighs the body's ability to repair itself, the brain shuts down to conserve enough energy to fix the injured neurons at a later point.

"After a brain injury, the heart must supply sufficient blood flow for the brain to repair itself. If the demand outweighs the supply the brain then shuts down and leads to an eventual loss of consciousness," says Anthony Alessi, M.D., a neurologist and ringside physician for the Connecticut State Boxing Commission. "That's when I know to end the match, because if we keep going the fighter is going to die."

Surprisingly, the boxer's feet are often the first clear signal that he is on the verge of being knocked out. When the neural networks that emanate from the cerebellum (the part of the brain responsible for coordinating motor activity) are disrupted by a concussion, a fighter loses his ability to coordinate foot movements.

"They become flat-footed, which is the inability to adjust. Boxers can't move forward or backward quickly," Alessi says. "As you watch their feet, you realize that the same lack of coordination is going on in their upper extremities in their hands. And eventually they are unable to defend themselves."

Once their feet start to go, they are often just a single punch away from a knockout

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/physics/boxing-knockout-sports-science

I'm not personally a believer that a weak chin has to do with the neck as much anymore. Can it help? Yeah probably, but there's plenty of guys out there with skinny necks that can take a much better punch than a thick roided up guy can. I'm of the mind that much of the time it has a lot to do with how loose you are able to stay in a fight.