Box Jumps and 5x5

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pompeythegreat, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

So I am currently doing Bill Starr's 5x5, and I was wondering if it would be a hindrance if I worked box jumps in as a secondary rather than front squats.

Currently my deadlift day looks something like this:

Squat 5x5
    Millitary Press 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5
    Front Squat 2x10
    Incline Press 2x10
    Ab Wheel Roll Outs 2x10

If I was to change it, it would look like this:

Squat 5x5
    Millitary Press 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5
    Box Jumps2x10
    Incline Press 2x10
    Ab Wheel Roll Outs 2x10

Thoughts?

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm sure you know that a proper max effort Box Jump is a power movement, so reps should be low. That however, doesn't stop Crossfitians from trying to cram as many into a WOD as they can, and in a rush, though also rarely anything more than 24 inches. In addition if you're lifting any weight, after Squat and Deadlift I would really avoid any plyometrics. If you really must stick another exercise in (I just browsed the routine and Bill advises against it) something like Good Mornings or Barbell Lunges. It' also a leg day so why you're doing two upper body exercises is anyone's guess

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

with 5x5 sets/reps, I am assuming you are doing this mainly for strength gains? I would look into adding a few sets of rotator cuff work... just some low weight since that is a VERY weak link. I'm just wondering why you are only doing just the military presses instead of adding some side and front raises as well as bent over rear delt raises?

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you want to add them in use them in your warm up before squatting, a few sets of 3 will help to prime the CNS for the work ahead and shouldnt have a negative effect on other work

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

As mentioned by others - Any kind of 'complex' movement (more complicated than a press or pull) should ideally be done before your main compound lifts.

The trick is not to go too berserk - Because as mentioned in this thread - Any kind of Plyometric work is a Power Movement. An so contributes to your overall cumulative.

Careful of your joints!

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

This is what I was about to say. Sets of 10 box jumps is pointless.