Boredom - Staleness

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Punchy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Do you get bored and stale with your favourite MA at times? If so, what do you do to overcome it?

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

No, if your trying to your best then there will always be something to improve upon, so that idea keeps me going

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I do get bored time to time. I've found that it's almost ALWAYS when I'm not actually there. When I get in that mood....I go to class. That always seems to fix my problems!

Haven't encountered being bored with actually being in class yet. Hope I don't! Expect I will. :(

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Yup, I've been there, for me they are usually associated with learning "plateaus" where it feels like you simply aren't getting better, and that the excitement of learning something new isn't happening. I have done two things, assigned myself short term goals like "learn Form X and perform it at the February tournament" or actually gone out and started learning another martial art system.

Lamont

5. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

When I was doing shotokan, if I felt bored I would come up with my own drills that would condition myself and develop better technique at the same. For example if I was doing a kata, I would do a certain exercise after each move or a certain set of moves. It was fun, tiring, and helped me to concentrate at the same time.

If you're bored of your martial art, simply the best thing to do is to be creative and come up with your own drills :hat:

6. SteffenBerg

SteffenBerg Valued Member

Yep... I do get bored at times. What do I do to overcome it?

I train.

It sort of goes along with a mindset the Japanese call "Ningen Keisei". The main principle being that of perseverance. In other words, not stopping training because you're bored with it... too tired... too stressed... feeling lazy... discouraged about training... (you get the idea). In other words, it's about unceasing training. Just pick up your sh*t and train... no matter what - type of attitude.

I also do a bit of NLP to help myself over the hump sometimes... I think back to the moments when I really enjoy training and anchor that feeling in my body (mind).

Just my 2 yen.

Steffen

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

As Steff says it's always easier to find reasons not to train than to simply turn up every time possible.

I tend to take a specific principle and concentrate on that rather than "repeat" the same technique.Then you are studying principles which is NEVER boring.

regards koyo

8. paul1960

paul1960 Fighting Lethargy

Bored never.
    So much to learn so little time, if you train with a good teacher and people you like it is always fun.

9. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I got bored once over a long period so I changed instructors. I think the main problem was the instructor wasn't much better than me so I didn't feel stretched or challanged.

With my current instructors i'm always eager to train, though nowadays I can't make it as often as I wish.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

i got frustrated that i wasnt being allowed to spar but now i am my art is always fun

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

When I was involved in other arts and instructors that weren't for me . . . yes I got bored.

12. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

I chat up my partner in training and get a few lulz out of it.

13. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Nope, just when I think I got something down, I get reminded that I can always do it better. That keeps the boredom from setting in.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

As an instructor between black belt gradings yes I do get bored. Continually teaching the same things to different groups, not learning anything that I need and not being pushed isn't good for me. I took a while off over the summer because of it then started heading down the same route again recently.

Now though I'm back into the swing of it simply because my two years is up soon (between 1st and 2nd dan) so I need to get my rear in gear, learn to referee and another kata and improve my flexibility for March.

I'll probably be back to the same place in 18 months but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

15. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I got bored recently of jumping through hoops and doing the same stuff day in day out. In many ways it actually doesn't help, because you get stuck in a rut. I've taken a sabattical from grading and I'm just going to train for the hell of it, learn some advanced katas, focus on improving kumite etc, and just generally enjoy myself