Books on internal part of the (Yang) Taijiquan???

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Steffan_de

Steffan_de New Member

Too Much Tai Chi Mystification

I agree with you whole-heartedly oldyang. Everyone talks about jing and tells you that you must have it but no one explains. This is why I wrote the book. To give practitioners concrete physical actions for creating jing. Not just elusions to an action that may or may not be correct. The Eight Stabilities test will always show the flaws in the frame so that you know absolutely if you are correct.

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well then, let's see your videos then. I have had enough of endless, wordy explanations, personally. Although, let me guess - just the fact that I ask for it and doubt it means that I am unworthy to be shown, right?

I like your typo "elusions" - yes, very good - the magic of the net: e-lusions.

3. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Steffan, can you give us an example fo this "concrete physical actions for creating jing"? What is this "Eight Stabilities test"? Can you give an example of "one" of this "stabilities"? Thanks.

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

My thoughts exactly.

How does your 'stabilities' differ from posture testing?

Carys.

5. Steffan_de

Steffan_de New Member

Anatomy of Yang Family Tai Chi

You guys just want me to copy and paste the entire text of the book in here for you?

Good grief!

Just read the book.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL... so you reckon you can come on here in the guise of an an expert, tell everyone how great your book is and that you got the "real deal" and make some $$$?

If anything, your doing yourself and your book a disfavor, this forum has pretty long tentacles if you get my drift. ;)

7. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, there has to be some reason to read the book - as in, you have to excite people's interest that you are an expert and have something of value to offer. At the moment is just sounds like you are prostituting your knowledge for the most cash possible.

Besides, I don't want to see your book, I want to see your videos - something to demonstrate that all this mumbo jumbo means anything. I mean, if you want to exlain some stuff in clear terms, then that would be useful... but fancy sounding mumbo jumbo? Nah...

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

No, we don't!

A reply to my question would be useful......also I agree that to post a video clip would be of help..we can then decide if you have something we are willing to shell out our hard earned cash to learn for ourselves. :D

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

What exactly lifts your writing above that of anyone else on the market at the moment?

11. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

I think a few people here are being a bit hard on Steffan. I agree with him that if you want to know what's in his book check it out. If you don't want to spend cash perhaps you could browse it in a bookshop or get your local library to order it in.

12. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I don't think people are being too hard on him really - he did come on and start recommending his book without pointing out that he'd written it himself. He did also get quite bossy and start telling people to "just read it!"

I don't think we should all gang up on him and get the knives out either - so I empathize with your point of view too - but it would have been better if he had been up front.

13. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

If he was trying to be sneaky he didn't do a great job - used his own name. Would have been nice if he had stated his interest - though you can't blame someone for bigging themself up a bit.

14. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Course we can blame him, lol. "Just read it!" Reminds me of Boston's first LP... "Just listen to the record..." all over the back.

Boston, you know - classic rock band, "More than a feeling" - you know? LP's... they were like CD's, only, bigger, had cooler sleeves. Oh, damn it, just buy the record! And my book! Buy my book! We have special secrets on secret internal classic rock - geez - whadda ya want? For me to copy and paste it for you? Just give me your money - I'm a direct descendent of Tom Shultz!

15. Steffan_de

Steffan_de New Member

Anatomy of Yang Fmily Tai Chi

Bailu I never said that my writing was any better than someone else's. Maybe it is difficult for you to believe that a westerner might have some insight. I wrote the book for westerners using anatomical and structural concepts to explain how and why tai chi is the gretest martial art on the planet.

I did not mean to be bossy when I said "just read it".

Steffan de Graffenried

16. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

I got the I Liq Chuan book and the 15 Basic Exercises DVD.
    The book is interesting, covering a lot of useful things (manily about the ILC system), but is not very helpful alone. It is an overview of the ILC. Is helpful but not essential. Recommended for who is interested in ILC.
    The DVD has very practical drills/exercises how to move. Here are great tips, also if you are not interested in ILQ. Others IMA practicioners could also find this exercises useful.
    The book and DVD are very good, but they not cover nothing new.

Steffan, you said that you "wrote the book for westerners using anatomical and structural concepts". Do you explan how to use Qi and how to develope Jin (with westerners words)? Tell us a tip from the book that we will know that is very good book and no an average one.

17. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Any mention of jin arising from stretching and unstretching muscles? :)

18. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, the funny thing about martial arts is that you can't prove how great they are by explaining. Funny that. And talk about mirror world syndrome... there's more good wing chun fighters than there are Yang taiji fighters, lol. Hold on, there IS that famous top taiji fighter... what's his name? Oh, you know the one...

19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Not particularly difficult. I know of three fairly well knowns off of the top of my head. :rolleyes: (that's not including some of the peep's who post here; jkzorya for one, Taoquan for another etc etc)

This has nothing to do with your ethnic background, moreover it is to do with why we should "just read the book!"

Please don't try to make me out as some sort of racist.

20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Oldyang, sorry if the book/DVD was not what you were after, I found it quite useful myself, but I guess "different strokes, for different folks".