Bong spinning technique #8

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, Aug 29, 2007.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

No, this isn't about some new Beatles tune. ;)

Going along with my Joong Bong Il Hyung question, I've got one about staff spinning technique #8 -- the plum flower.

What do YOU do with your hands?

You start in the "um yahng" position with your right hand in an overhand grip, and your left hand in an underhand. Do you keep your hands in this position the whole time (so one is always palm up and one always palm down)? Or do you switch at some point so that both hands are facing the same way (both palm up, or palm down)?

I was taught one up one down and it stayed that way. But it was something that some of us started talking about today since we noticed some folks were doing it that way and some the "palms same direction" way.

So again, just curious how other folks handle it.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Don't spin the bong dude... you'll spill the water and get nasty ass bong water all over the carpet. :D

3. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

one up one down thats how i was taught and never had reason to question it, its the same with the plum flower using the jool bongs.

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

A reason why some people do it in a double yang (palms downs) grip is because they aren't letting the staff twist in their hands. try it both ways, you will notice that the circle is tighter with opposing grips, the technique also can be done alot faster too.

FYI.. the staff twists in the hand that is going forward, or atleast thats how i was shown.

5. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

one up and one down.... those doing it the other way are not doing it correctly.

This is the starting technique to learn the moving staff techniques... if you do both grips the same it will not work

6. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Yep

7. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Any thing other than the um yang grip is a "different technique" and in the strictest sense would be considered "incorrect" if you were trying to train # 8 specifically.. I also suggest training #8 in the reverse direction (spin the staff upward rather than downward) as well because you will need it when you learn moving technique #2. Most people really struggle with moving tech #2 because they cannot "reverse" spin #8 when thier body turns.
    I call it 8 "b" for reference ,,
    any thoughts?

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

It's funny you say that because one of the guys that was promoting the double yang grip was saying that things were faster and tighter with the double yang grip... that using the um yang grip was slower and more awkward.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

I personally think it makes more sense to use the um yang grip because yeah, moving technique #2 feeds into that. And just all the plum flower motions in Joong Bong Il Hyung feed into that sort of grip. Furthermore, any time you switch grip you're losing control of the staff... um yang starts and you stay in it, never letting go... which has its own implications.

I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing both ways... makes you more fluent no matter how you may end up holding the staff. But strictly speaking, I'm sticking with um yang.

9. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

and obviously for staff sparring you want one up and one down on the grip for certain if not 98% of the strikes in the routines......... you'd only use both up grips if you were blocking or doing the strike after the turn side kick on number 2

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Thats how you got it through to me, and Ive been told that I have a very smooth #8 and moving #2.

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Most everyone will say they are doing the plum flower motion in the form, but I have yet to see anyone actually do a #8. Just looking at the staff, it is making a #9 motion. There just happens to be two hands on the staff.

Does anyone here actually do a full #8 in the form?

12. ember

ember Valued Member

I think about half - I usually start with it fairly tucked on the right side, but on the left side I don't tuck it, just continue rotating around.

13. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

You are correct in seeing that, because I used to but KJN corrected my motion along time ago. That motion is what he called a half plum flower, its a blocking attack motion, you can see it in chang/Bong Dae Ryun alot.