Body weight Ab Workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by brucelee12345, Nov 3, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

If you want to move like him, you'll probably have to find an XMA school near you. Or a gymnastic class. Or a dance class. And I'm really not being flippant when I say that either.

In so far as actual kicking technique might go, I am a huge fan of a book called "dynamic kicking method" by Musafumi Shiomitsu. It contains fantastic advice for drills, stretches, supplementary training and fundamental kicking technique. It's a reasonably old book though so might be hard to get hold of and even though he is a Wado Ryu karate-ka, the principles of what he teaches for kicks can be transferred to pretty much anything else.

All power to you for working up to the sets you're doing each week, that takes some serious intensity. But the big concern that a lot of people will have is that a training plan that intense on your core is (for the vast majority of us) unsustainable long term. It is very easy to push for such a large number of reps and work up to it that you think you're fine and doing really well, but then suddenly before you know it you're mentally and physically fatigued and need to slack off and you lose a lot of the gains you've made.

The ab wheel roller thing as Steve mentioned is beastly to train with. It really gets the job done and even just a couple of times a week will make a big difference. I mentioned the plank position in sets as well and that's another beastly workout that works on your core strength a great deal.

2. brucelee12345

brucelee12345 Valued Member

Hey,
    No i do not do it 3-5 times per week, That is wat i want to work up to doing with this,
    currently im doing this 2-3 times per week.

3. brucelee12345

@karatesloth
    I go to a martial arts school, i have a black belt and my insturucter knows abuot tricking and all,
    He taught me alot of how to do tricking. thanks for the book.
    I will add the ab wheel rollout, i think i have one.
    Yes i know if i feel mentally or physically fatigued it is too much work, but so far, it feels wesome, my core feels stronger

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Oh, that's alright then. Obviously I'm not a fan of tricking at all, but if you like it then go for it :)

FishofDoom also posted a video workout where you basically put a piece of cardboard or two under your feet, brace your hands over some smooth flooring and slide your body weight back and forth just like you would an ab roller. Just in case the ab wheel doesn't work out.

That's part of it, but you've also got to watch out that you don't cause an injury that you don't notice at the time of training but causes you trouble afterwards.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my favorite ab exercises which are also lower-back neutral: planks, and side planks. but my absolute fav., i don't know the name of, but my personal trainer turned me on to it (he probably told me the name and i spaced it). anyway you can do it with a bar or not--it's a little easier to get the motion when you're holding a bar.

lay flat on your back with your arms extended straight up at 90 degrees to the floor. it's important to note that your hands will always move along this plane. then simply pick your torso up in stages: first your head and neck, then shoulders, then upper torso, then lower torso until your whole body is now 90 degrees angle to the floor and your hands are directly above your head. then slowly put yourself back on the ground in reverse: first lower torso, then upper torso, then shoulders, neck, head, always keeping your hands in the same plane.

it's amazing what this exercise has done for my bjj.

also...i do a lot of burpees, swiss ball and ab wheel exercises too.

6. brucelee12345

@karatesloth

Thank you! I will watch out to make sure i do not get injusred

7. brucelee12345

@Giovanni
    I might switch out something and put in planks and the exercises you described in there,
    I will add burpees to my workout
    thank you very much

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to say you're swapping routines and exercises as soon as they're recommended.

Do you know what muscles each of these exercises target?

9. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I've been trying to ease you gently to a conclusion but I'm going to come right out and say it.

I think it's a pretty awful routine. I think it's impressive, but pointless. Sorry brah.

If I'd posted a workout consisting of naught but lat raises, pec flys, leg extensions and pull downs people would be letting me know that it would get me no where. This is the ab equivalent.

Do some of those exercises have a place, maybe. Will it make you sore etc? Hell yeah, will it make you a better athlete?.... I doubt it.

How much can you front squat? Can you rep an ab wheel from your feet for reps? How long can you hold a plank for?

Unless you have three VERY impressive answers for those questions then you would be better if sticking with a basic heavy routine 1-2 times a week.

Eg: Monday
    5x5 ab wheel
    1 arm farmers walk 4x25m

Thursday
    Front squat holds 5x15 seconds @150% 1rm
    DB side bends 3xf

Remember what you are training for is core strength not being really good at sit ups

If you are a high frequency guy (which you strike me as, which is cool man I'm the same, itchy feet!) and can't resist throwing in some planks on Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday while watching the telly or whatever then have at it I guess, won't do any harm.

That's how I would go about it, people get so excited about training abs, if you spent the time adding 20kg to your front squat then they'd get stronger abs anyway.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what steve said. plank for 5+ minutes and you don't need to worry about much else, although fwiw i've found heavy one arm dumbbell rows to be pretty nice for obliques(and by heavy i mean at least half your bodyweight)

11. seiken steve

I've been getting oblique cramp since this morning so agreed!

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i can actually feel my abdominal wall shifting when i do them :p it's a funky feeling.

13. brucelee12345

@Simon
    Yes I do, y?

14. brucelee12345

@SeikenSteve
    Thanks for telling me that, u hv not offended me
    I can
    Front Squat-260lbs(at 135 lbs bodyweight)
    Plank-4 minutes and 7 seconds
    Full Ab Wheel Roll out-5 reps
    I do not know if these are impressive, but to me it feels like an accomplishment

15. seiken steve

Certainly is at that bodyweight for the FS and with the bodyweight stuff, good work.

Still think you would be better off sticking to a basic less '2 hours long' routine, and safer.

16. brucelee12345

@SeikenSteve
    thx
    I will try to stick to a less than 2 hour routine, and i will make it more intense than my normal routine, since its shorter, its just i have alot of time on my hands so i thought i could extend my training a bit
    thx again

17. seiken steve

Quality over quantity my friend. :)