Body hardining

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TAPOUT, Aug 13, 2003.

1. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

Ive been hardining up my shins and forearms and abs buy pretty much just hitting them on wood or getting people to punch my abdorminal and i was wondering if anyone had some tips or better ways to hardin up your body better or make it tougher

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

*approaches with caution*
    Look, just consider:
    1.why should hitting your body against things make it harder? Bones heal weaker than they were before and muscles need resistance to grow.
    2. It might be dangerous. You won't see any ill effects maybe for years. But when you're 60 and you have arthritis and brittle bones, remember I did try to warn you.
    3. Yes. There is a very good way to harden up your body. Exercise it.

3. LIQUID

LIQUID New Member

i think its ok to hit abs inbetween sit ups, dont hit bone though! unless u want shin cancer of course.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Getting hit in the stomach won't strengthen your stomach muscles. Hitting yourself with wood isn't exactly clever either. Excessive contact with hard objects can cause all sorts of injuries, even cancer.

I've been giving this conditioning business a lot of though of late, given the controversy on here about it. The way I see it now, some conditioning is still essential, but hitting harder objects with gloves on, and hitting bags/mitts without gloves and doing knuckle push ups is about the extent of my conditioning now. No more crazy stuff for a while. I'm thinking it will work just as well, it may take longer, but it should have less bad side effects.

Also, toughness is more mental than physical in my opinion

5. LIQUID

LIQUID New Member

Boxers always bounce a medicine ball against their abs when training and the dont have any probs.

6. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

all thai boxers and even some karate people can break like baseball bats over there shins i think i thoughen your body

7. ufcbout

ufcbout New Member

the way is calcium.
    take calcium pills.

it is true that when bone is broken down it heals back up stronger...only because the things that make bone move to where the damage is being done..which makes other parts of your body weaker..

calcium helps..you should not hit against hard things..just do what you do normaly in the day.and drink milk

most of my friends who dont even exercise at all can break bats over their shins.no big deal..

8. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Your previous post is about thia boxing. Since you will be training in thia boxing, the easiest way would be to kick the pads. have the pad holder hit you with the pads. Have him throw light kicks to your shins and you block with your shins. good thing to do is get some shin guards. You can kick a little harder then.

Have him throw some body shots and you cover correctly.
    The same for the hook to the head, protect yourself.

Since you mentioned in your other posts that you have a heavy bag, use it for toughening your shins when you kick it. Your knees and elbows too.

Come up with some drills such as -jab-cross-hook-cross-rear kick
    and; foot jab-rear kick-hook-cross-rear kick. Have the pad holder hit you from time to time. Cover up so you do not get the full impact.

As time goes on you can have the pad holder hit harder and kick with a little more force.

Exercise too. It will help.:)

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Wacking yourself with sticks to make yourself hard is not a good idea.

Do strength training and spar, thats all you need.

10. Jazman

Jazman New Member

youch, I wouldn't like my life much if I began kicking wood and such, if you wanna build up bone use strength training, builds both the muscles and bones. eat calcium as the wise have said and don't hit things(trust me, my knuckles are in constant pain because of incessant punching of solid objects) be smart

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A very good & sensible reply!

Who are you and what have you done with Knight_errant?

12. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Are you trolling, YODA? ;)

From what I've read of Knight_errant's posts, he always offers insightful information.

13. Knight_Errant

Yeah yeah you don't need to lie Bon, I can take it.
    Well yes. But do they do it by hitting themselves? I think not...

14. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Hmm, you've shot up to 1000+ posts and got last place on the top spammers' list... maybe you are trolling, I'm just not reading the troll posts!

15. Knight_Errant

There's a spammers list?

16. Knight_Errant

Nah, it's just all my troll posts are so indescribably foul that they've been removed :)

17. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Click on Members/Top 10 posters, there you are!

How'd you get up to 1000+ without trolling/spamming then? I've been here longer than you and I'm on 700.

18. Knight_Errant

By being a complete geek. I adopt a rigorous approach- checking each forum in its turn and when I contribute to a thread IT STAYS CONTRIBUTED. In addition to this, I go on regular internet benders.

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I've been told that practicing kata with dynamic tension (sanchin) over the entire body will increase body hardness. I believe "body hardness" is 50% physical and 50% mental.

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sanchin kata is a complex subject. Technically, your body has to be hard to begin with, as its done with all the muscles tense.