body fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gaz shaw, Feb 23, 2005.

1. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i was just curious of wat amount of body fat you people at MAP have, as you are generally fitter than most people (well probably)

my body fat percentage is 12%

for males your percentage should be between 8% and 18%
    for females your percentage should be between 20% and 29%

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

First of all, we need an accurate way to measure it.

Any ideas? - BMI is not what I am thinking. :D

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Last time I check it was 21% ...

All methods of testing body fat are just estimates.

There is the tape measurement method is 3.5% (+ or -) as accurate as a hydrostatic water tank test and .7% (+ or -) as accurate as a multi-site skin caliper test.

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

How accurate are the machines that run the electircal pulse to use it to measure your body fat percentage? Does anyone know off hand?

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

6 months ago I weighed 133lbs and had 2% body Fat. Now Im 170lbs and 11%

I think Ive done well to bring it up so much so soon! :D

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I found a good webpage (http://dancingblonde.tripod.com/id87.html) which talks about the accuracy of various body fat measurement techniques, which includes references.... :D

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The best body fat measuring method is the water submersage method according to our physiologists here.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Mine is probably about 12-15. Too much beer and food :D I'm cutting some of that off just before summer though.

9. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Thanks for the link KC.

10. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

in about november i was 25 percent / had a gut and i was 165 lbs but now, after a full wresteling season and alot of MA training im 145 lbs with a flat stomach and my arms and pecks are alot larger so im asuming its alot more healthy...... not enough beer and food

11. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

2 percent :confused: ! I thought the minimum an alive human being could have was 3-4%?

12. MattN

MattN Valued Member

2% if it's even possible, would take sucha hardcore diet and exercise program that superman wouldnt be able to do it

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

That basically shows how innaccurate body fat measurements can be, 2% is ridiculous.

14. Sgt_Major

True. But then again if you had seen me you might re-consider. I truely was a stick man. Unable to walk more than a few hundred yards without having to sit down, running was not an option at all. Diet was non-existant, I couldnt afford to eat, often going 3-4 days without food regularly. When I did eat, it was less than my daughter (3yr old) was eating - She ate whether I could afford to or not.. So, over-all, whether it was 100% accurate or not, it was extremely low, and now I'm using the same machinery to judge (my doctor does it), and its saying I've went up 9%. The major difference in past 6months being I got a job that allows me to eat several times a day :D and my wife has got a job now too, which allows us to pay other bills etc and still have money for food.

:)

15. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Congrats on getting yourself back on track. I would imagine you were in a bad way.

16. Sgt_Major

Passing out became a regular occurance, particularly after training :D

But Im MUCH MUCH healthier now.......

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Ill send you the left overs from my grandmas cooking on Christmas. It should be enough for a 10course meal for the whole year. :D

On a more serious note. Im glad that you got yourself back on track my friend. :)

18. Sgt_Major

lol. Grandma's certainly do like to over-feed us! God knows I'd prob be dead already without mine! :love: :love:

so am I, SO AM I! :eek:

19. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Mine's Italian (by marriage not blood) and she feels the need to make up for not feeding me since I was born. :D

20. Sgt_Major

lmao!

Sure its all good the Italian food!