Boards do hit back - or so it seems...

Discussion in 'Karate' started by GaryWado, Aug 5, 2013.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Not a big fan of tameshiwari / breaking - call it what you will.

But, if you're gonna do it - in a public embu - you'd better be sure you can pull it off (without injuring others also).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzRjqSYKBA"]Possibly worst taekwondo martial arts demo ever - YouTube[/ame]

Gary

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

poor kid

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

this guy has some weird stuff up, including this nugget!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mwMAxbeyY"]Practicing Iron crotch Kung Fu. Yeah, Using A Hammer - YouTube[/ame]

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That was so painful to watch...

5. ned

ned Valued Member

like the way he picks up another board at the end like it might break easier!

6. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I had posted the same video 1 minute later... did use search option and had not found this (too close in time).

Iron crotch, interesting...

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

not only did he not break the board like he should, he made a little girl cry.....bad day for a blackbelt.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

9. Princess Haru

He's wearing some weird dobok so I'm guessing its TKD, but the association he trains in surely cannot include destruction as part of their syllabus as there is no way he has the focus to hold a first degree, let alone higher (that I think I can see by his belt). Some of the rebreakable boards in TKD I remember were not kind on your hands if you missed the centre of the board, so you learned to be accurate even if it meant slowing down the strike. That said, getting audience members to hold the board is not sensible, there is a correct way to hold a wooden board so it breaks easier, and neither had any bodyweight behind the board. I feel sorry for this guy's teacher, because this display hasn't done their club any favours, maybe a demotion to red belt?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think he's TKD, but he doesn't know how to get people to hold a board. If they stand to the side like that they can't brace it and hold it firm, their arms will always move backwards. They need to be behind the board with their arms in front of them holding the board out.

He's also not thought about health and safety, nor much else TBH.

He might be a great practitioner, but this is a horrible vid.

Mitch

11. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pretty much the entire female population of MAP probably - smashing yourself in the plums is not known for being an aphrodisiac

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

14. Heraclius

I was thinking more of a sanchin stance type protect-my-'nads style leg closing.

15. Heraclius

Well, I don't think that this will help his chances :evil:

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Maybe he lost a girlfriend so he is punishing himself

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I heard he actually medalled in the Olympics :p

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm not much of a fan of tameshiwari either, makiwara training is a perfectly good way of showing off to a public that don't know anything and seeming awesome in the process.

I saw this yesterday or the day before (?) and I just wanted to reach through the computer and punch him. I'm not sure that day could have possibly gotten worse. Making a kid cry, kicking a guy's fingers, hurting his hands on the boards (which look a little thicker than the usual ones I see TKD guys break), it really couldn't get much worse.

What struck me is how the person with the camera knew enough to record what was going on - kinda feels like he'd been trying for a couple of minutes before someone got out their phone.

Though I have to ask - why is he a black belt?!

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I can't see that vid, the youtube account associated with it has closed - what did he do exactly?

20. Princess Haru

Ooops, it does look like youtube shut 'im down.... but I have another source of the second vid just here, you might want to cross your legs now (if you're a guy)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42lTfivF_9M"]Practicing Iron crotch Kung Fu. Yeah, Using A Hammer - YouTube[/ame]