Bo staff tutorials?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Zabuza, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

anyone have a good Bo Staff tutorial on some spins with it? Just stuff that moves continueasly and flows :) I like the Bo staff.

2. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Ask your instructor to show you some! Mostly it is hard to put some of the bo work into words, it can be more easily taught. What sort of strikes and spins are you trying to learn?

Most of our bo kata have a good variety of spins and strikes in a flowing pattern so I would imagine that other disciplines have similar.

3. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

well Im not in any martial arts right now, I cant seem to stay in them *shrugs*

like I was in taekwando for like a half a year untill purple belt, Kuk Sool for like 3 or 4 months then quit (woulve learned staff at blue belt but it got like I dunno) then capoeira for like 3 months then got pulled out cause of grades, so im just learnin stuff on my own now.

4. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Normal spin, Both hands, palm down, on the staff, slightly less than shoulder width apart. figure eight. left side goes under right arm, right tip arcs across as this happens, dip the tip down after the arc, gong over your left forearm, pull it up (like a J with the long part facing the same way your backdoes ) up to your ear, put it infront of you, but the (orignally right) tip will be above your height, and pull the left hand tip from under your right armpit, swing it up diagonally to the left, while swinging the right down and upder your left armpit and the left tip arcing over.... continure and continue.

5. xubis

xubis New Member

you got to purple in 6months.. hmm

6. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

1) try single hand figure 8 spin, put one hand under the opposite armpit and figure 8 the bo back and forth in front of your body....

2) then try it 2 handed using normal grip [fyi - normal grip with bo is one hand palm up and the other palm down at shoulder width apart], swing the bo from side to side as you rotate it in a figure 8 pattern walking forwards. Start with R hand palm up and L hand palm down, dip R end of bo down to the R side, flip over then sweep bo back to L side and dip down. If done properly you will look a bit like a windmill!the bo should move fast when you are doing this. Start of slowly to get the idea and practice daily for 6mths to a year to get perfect.

3) kayak strike - bo held in normal grip with L hand palm down at hip, R hand palm up by R shoulder. Rotate bo like you are paddling a kayak. Snap the bo back into place at the end of the strike.

I presume you know all the normal blocks and strikes?

Practice these 3 I've given you for a while then come back and let us know and we'll give u more homework!

Don't expect to get good at bo if you cant manage to practice all the time. Working successfully with a weapon takes a lot of time and much practice.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  7. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

yeah I found out the figure 8, and something called helicopter spin or something, swinging it above your head. Im getting better with figure 8 every day, just kinda hard to do it with 2 hands :)

8. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

2 handed is easy!
    the helicopter spin is one I do in my latest kata, from a deep shiko dachi, step forward with R taking bo in L fingers and spin over your head twice, pass behind your back step L and take with R hand [in centre normal position with L hand] step R, strike from R shoulder past L leg, then bo high on L shoulder step back with R leg and strike from L shoulder to past R leg...

9. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

Ok, i don't know names for these so i'll make them up, andi might come back later and try to explain one or two more.

shoulder spin. have the bo closer to the end and spin it to get momentum.Spin it forward, if you can kinda get what i mean. kind of whirl it around your shoulder, or over it. let go so it goes around, than catch it, this is easier for me on my left side cause i'm left handed...its hard to explain, if you really want i can get some pics up later with some help from a friend. keep in mind this might be hard to do cause you'll more thanl ikely smash your fingers on the grab. usualy i do this to get it realy close to the end so i can baseball swing it....this really is hard to put into words *_*

10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

ok, you can start having a look at my new site where I've started putting up some bo kata today...

http://reiki.aussie7.com/

there's alot of info to go in yet and the bo kata I have started putting in is only about 1/3 of the way thru.

Be patient!

Hopefully there will be some video files eventually if I can get around to videoing the kata.

I've included a nice little animated gif of a bit of bo that I found somewhere on the net.

If someone knows where it came from can they plse drop me a message so I can put some acknoweledgements, thanks!

11. God

God New Member

excellent! bo katas on the internet, for free!!

a little tricky to learn.

i should get me a bo.

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I've just removed the animated gif because I found out where it came from, and there were lots of warning msg about "borrowing" the pix!

so you can view it at:
    http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/OdoBo.html
    they have some quite good stuff there