Bo staff or ''a can of worms''

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Late for dinner, Apr 28, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

My baby is constructed with careful assymetry and tapering to look exactly like a branch! :p

It doesn't quite show in this photo, but it is essentially shaped like a baseball bat stretched-out to 5', with a hint of scimitar at the end.

I'm so used to the unusual shape now, I prefer it to any other stick (oo-er :eek: matron, and all that :rolleyes: )

Attached Files:

2. David Harrison

Thought I'd check in this thread again, as I've found a new favourite medium range wooden weapon this year: the pickaxe handle.

Everything about it is perfect. One hand or two, perfectly weighted, cheap and plentiful, and tapered to provide concentrated force in terms of psi. It also has an illustrious history of being very effective in a ruck.

I heartily recommend you get one :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have something similar that came off of a tree back before I moved to the UK (20 years now). Shaped like a bokken but only about as thick as a jo it gives me something to practice short stick techniques at home. There are some unique features to evey systemthat uses a stick and it's not always easy to find somethingn that will fit what you do. Luckily this piece of a tree did!

LFD

4. David Harrison

That's cool, but I'd say that an effective system should be able to capitalise on the uniqueness of the stick, not the other way round!

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What's that you say? More X-TREEM bo staff vids? MOAR?!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZQWYMnI-KE[/ame]

6. Kave

Kave Lunatic

When I was younger I busked with a fire staff occasionally, so I have some understanding of the skill required to wave a stick around, and unfortunately I have to say that I am not impressed by the video of Chloe Bruce (even looking purely at aesthetics rather than martial relevance).

In my defence, at least I never pretended that what I was doing was in any way related to martial arts.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

After I've done with MMA I fully intend to learn and improve fighting with bo and jo staffs.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Enough people are impressed that she gets paid a small fortune to do it. No busking here! :D

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This from a man who plays with sticks and rubber knives?

11. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Chloe Bruce is good at XMA, an accomplished stunt performer, and she is both pretty and bendy. I am unsurprised at the following she has. That being said, on ability alone there are many better XMAers and trickers out there that very few people heard of (probably because they aren't as pretty).

12. Hannibal

Well sticks and dull metal knives if you want to get pedantic...and as I am a teacher of weapons what do you suggest I use instead? Plus my stick tends to hit things pretty hard :)

none of that video - NONE of it - was combative at all. It may as well have been a pool noodle

Is it skillful? Yes...but it isn't weaponry, it's twirling a stick

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

XMA is like anything, really. It is it's own little niche within martial arts with its own A-list stars and events that aren't too well known outside the discipline. Like BJJ or Kung Fu I suppose.

14. Hannibal

I actually like her EH stuff...not my bag, but I get it (sort of).

the weaponry stinks like urine from the last leper in hell*

*Bonus points for quote recognition

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You're the only one here suggesting any of it has to be combative.

The vast spectrum of martial arts allows for different interpretations of martial arts, not all of which have to be combative, and all of which are unique to the individual.

16. Hannibal

Then don't call it "weapons"

17. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Is it any worse than calling a "Scorpion Kick" a kick?

18. Hannibal

It IS a kick...just a poor one

Calling this weaponry is like calling vegetable paring weaponry

This is basically exactly the same thing but without the pretension

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiP2f7pM6HI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiP2f7pM6HI[/ame]

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You're still mad about not making the high school cheerleading squad, aren't you?

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Blackadder 2 - when those religious fanatics (his relatives) come to dinner and Edmund is trying to have the booze up.

Do I will £5?